Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Troubles with hatch latch after being rear ended

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 05:40 PM
Troubles with hatch latch after being rear ended

I was rear ended and the guy sped off so I didn't get insurance to cover damages.

Anyway, I've been having problems with the latch on the back hatch. Everything was fine until I opened the hatch to put some groceries in the back and now the door ajar light won't go off and I can't lock my car unless I'm pressing on the back while I do it. I didn't have any problems opening the back hatch in the first place.

When the door is closed, you can't open it without pulling the handle and you can't push it open from the inside. It's definitely closed and won't fly open while driving. But when you pull the handle, it doesn't feel/sound like the latch is clicking, if you know what I mean. I tried pulling the handle while watching the latch mechanism and nothing is happening.

Is there something I can do to fix this or am I going to have to take it in and how much do you think it'll run me?

Edit: 2011 Fit Sport

Last edited by rearended; 12-03-2012 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Additional Information
Old 12-03-2012, 06:12 PM
5 Year Member
I was rear ended and the guy sped off so I didn't get insurance to cover damages. THeres ur problem u were rear ended and it bent something im down to check it out for u if u swing by my pad im home after 5

Old 12-03-2012, 08:54 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Let's see some pictures. Otherwise nobody has any idea what kind of damage you're talking about. Where was the contact from the accident - hatch, bumper, both? Is the hatch smashed in? Etc.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:56 PM
Have you checked with your insurance company to see if you have uninsured motorist coverage? I think most insurance policies have that (it's required in my state), and that would cover whatever repairs are necessary from a hit-and-run accident, typically without any deductible or effect on your insurance rates.

It sounds like something is bent out of shape somewhere. It may be something in the latch mechanism, strike plate, or the hatch hinges, and it may be possible to adjust things fairly readily to get it working smoothly again. It could also be something rather more important. I'd suggest, at the very least, getting your car's alignment checked; if the frame got a bit cockeyed, you could have bigger problems than just the hatch not closing and locking smoothly, such as improper handling or rapid tire wear.