Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Lost my blower speeds except high, something burnt up

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 11:28 AM
Lost my blower speeds except high, something burnt up

I was driving my Fit the other day, still bone stock, and i saw a small cloud of smoke come out from either my vent or under my dash, since then i have noticed i only have a high blower speed for my climate control. Has anyone ever experienced this? Im not sure what relay to replace. any help would be great. assuming that is what burnt up

Old 12-03-2012, 09:06 PM
What died is the "blower resistor." However, there's a very good chance that you also need to replace the blower motor (there's a recall or something similar) as there's a defect wherein they draw too much current and cause the resistor to burn out. Search the forums here and/or check with your dealer.

If your blower motor isn't covered, replacing the resistor should get you back in business. It's not a particularly expensive part. It would probably be a good idea to check or replace the cabin air filter in case it's rather clogged up, since the resistor relies partly on airflow through the ductwork to keep itself cool.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:42 AM
For reference when other people search i thought i would share this info, I called the dealership yesterday and they informed me that there is a new blower motor released by honda for the fit, apparently replacing just the relay will only cause the faulty original design blower to trip the relay again. so you must replace both the blower and the relay for any lasting repair duration, otherwise have fun buying a 20 dollar relay once a week.