Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

First gen Fit parked on a slope, partial flood, WON'T START =(

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 08:12 PM
5 Year Member
Unhappy [SOLVED] First gen Fit parked on a slope, partial flood, WON'T START =(

Parked my fit on a small slope facing up, went away for a month.... come back, remote doesn't open doors... nuts. open with key, won't start

try to squeeze into the trunk.. (trunk door has no key entry ) ... discover a pool on the right side in the back seat... deep enough a couple goldfish. crap.

damage control: haul pool water out, try to soak the rest out with towels, no luck. put a small heater there... hopefully it'll dry out.

tried to jumper start the car, no luck. metered the battery. 2 volts. resistance: 0 ohms. great, pretty much a dead short

guys, now what? (besides tow truck and shop?) sigh

Last edited by potatoo; 12-06-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by potatoo
Parked my fit on a small slope facing up, went away for a month.... come back, remote doesn't open doors... nuts. open with key, won't start

try to squeeze into the trunk.. (trunk door has no key entry ) ... discover a pool on the right side in the back seat... deep enough a couple goldfish. crap.

damage control: haul pool water out, try to soak the rest out with towels, no luck. put a small heater there... hopefully it'll dry out.

tried to jumper start the car, no luck. metered the battery. 2 volts. resistance: 0 ohms. great, pretty much a dead short

guys, now what? (besides tow truck and shop?) sigh
Don't trust the resistance reading for the battery (assuming that's what you were measuring); the two volts it's putting out will completely throw off the resistance range of your meter. If you disconnected the battery and were measuring the resistance of the car's wiring system, then there's some other fundamental problems too that should be solved before putting a new battery in.

At the very least, you obviously need a new battery. I'd be tempted to get one, charge it up, and put it in (assuming the car's wiring doesn't test to a dead short) and see what happens; possibly the cost of the tow could be avoided. This is assuming that a quick visual inspection doesn't reveal anything obviously amiss.

Is there a waterline in the car? Was it actually submerged or partly submerged, or did water merely leak inside somehow and collect at the low spot in the floor? If it was submerged enough to get water into the air intake, don't try to crank the engine without first making sure it's dry there; hydrolock is not a good thing.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:28 AM
5 Year Member
will try those suggestions, thanks DrewE! disconnecting didn't come to my clouded mind when measuring resistances.. d'oh! oh yah it's a leak that just collected in a low spot in the rear seat floor on the right side.... i wonder what's underneath there....

good thing my beater truck survived my 1 month trip so i'm not stranded!

Old 12-06-2012, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
Wink

Originally Posted by DrewE
Don't trust the resistance reading for the battery (assuming that's what you were measuring); the two volts it's putting out will completely throw off the resistance range of your meter. If you disconnected the battery and were measuring the resistance of the car's wiring system, then there's some other fundamental problems too that should be solved before putting a new battery in.

At the very least, you obviously need a new battery. I'd be tempted to get one, charge it up, and put it in (assuming the car's wiring doesn't test to a dead short) and see what happens; possibly the cost of the tow could be avoided. This is assuming that a quick visual inspection doesn't reveal anything obviously amiss.

Is there a waterline in the car? Was it actually submerged or partly submerged, or did water merely leak inside somehow and collect at the low spot in the floor? If it was submerged enough to get water into the air intake, don't try to crank the engine without first making sure it's dry there; hydrolock is not a good thing.
WINRAR!! after drying it overnight, the resistance got back to a couple thousand ohms, put in a new battery for $70, horn starts going, and IT STARTS, sweet! thanks DrewE!

Old 12-06-2012, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by potatoo
WINRAR!! after drying it overnight, the resistance got back to a couple thousand ohms, put in a new battery for $70, horn starts going, and IT STARTS, sweet! thanks DrewE!
Fantastic! I always like a happy ending. Hopefully there won't be any long-term difficulties stemming from your cars adventures.