Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Starter Grinding, Issue or Common Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 12:27 PM
Exclamation Starter Grinding, Issue or Common Problem?

We just bought a 2008 Fit for my mom (base model w/AT, 105k miles) and I am afraid it may need a new starter. The sound it makes is that high pitched grinding noise a car would make if you were to try and start it after it was already running. It's very brief, less than half a second. My assumption is that the starter is "sticking" and engaging the flywheel too long, most likely meaning it needs to be replaced or rebuilt, if that is an option.

I did as much research as I could, but couldn't find anyone who had experienced similar symptoms. However, I did come across a thread that mentioned something about turning the key to the "on" position for a couple seconds before engaging the starter, but have no idea why or how that might be related.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Last edited by DCTepper; 11-21-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:56 PM
When is this noise heard—when you first engage the starter, or once the engine catches and is starting to run on its own?

If it's when you first engage the starter, it's probably the starter gears not meshing immediately with the flywheel, presumably because on or the other has become somewhat worn or chipped or something.

If it's when the engine is started but before you get the key released, it sounds like it may be the overrun clutch in the starter (that lets the pinion turn faster than the starter motor itself when the engine starts) getting worn. I would rather doubt it's solely the Benedix mechanism itself sticking or bouncing.

In any case, I don't think I would personally worry too much about it unless (or until) it gets noticeably worse or the starter doesn't reliably start the engine.

I don't think there's any relation at all between your symptoms and turning or not turning the key to on for a bit before cranking. The only reason for doing that I can think of would be to give the ECU a bit of time to start up and the fuel pump a little time to pressurize the injector rail, neither of which would relate to any particular wear and tear on the starter.

The one time I had to replace a starter on a car, I got an aftermarket (maybe rebuilt—I don't recall) unit and returned the old one for a core charge. (In my case, it was the overrun clutch that pooped out, and wouldn't reliably grab when it should, so the starter would often spin without turning the engine over.) Changing a starter out isn't all that difficult, generally speaking. Rebuilding one in the home shop, while certainly not impossible with the right tools (such as an arbor press), is definitely more complex and probably wouldn't save any significant money anyhow, assuming any needed replacement parts are available.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:15 PM
You could spray graphite (or Lock-De-Ice) in the ignition switch to eliminate the possibility that the switch itself is sticking. There are only two bolts that attach the starter to the engine/transmission, but you probably need to disconnect the sensor directly in back of the starter. I didn't need to remove the sensor itself. With jumper cables it is fairly easy to test whether the starter is functioning properly.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:43 PM
My starter was making a similar sound last week, took it to the shop cuz I didn't feel like messing with it. It got replaced.

I have an 08 Base 5spd 145k. So mine lasted longer. Cost me I think 350 bucks. Part+install.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by palos
You could spray graphite (or Lock-De-Ice) in the ignition switch to eliminate the possibility that the switch itself is sticking.
You don't want to put graphite in a switch; graphite is conductive (though not a great conductor). It's otherwise a very good lubricant for lock cylinders and similar mechanisms.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:41 AM
Thank you all for the replies! The dealership came by to take care of some paperwork with my mom and she mentioned it to them, without hesitation they said they would take care of it! I was not expecting that, given the car was sold "As Is" without a warranty. Coming from someone who thought customer service was extinct, I have to give props to Discovery Auto in Holland, MI.