Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Cilynder misfiring without fault codes

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 10:08 AM
Cilynder misfiring without fault codes

Hi Guys,

My 1st gen fit (2006) 1.4 i-dsi cvt with around 90K miles began to stutter since 60K miles. Right now it happens several times in almost every trip. Almost always below 60 miles/hour, more frequently with the a/c on and accelerating between 1.5K and 2.5K rpm. Sometimes the engine has stopped if I was waiting on a red light with the gear on D. The engine light never turned on during the faults.

A year ago Honda changed 1 spark plug and the problem was solved for around 10K miles, and then appeared again.

6 months ago, the next programmed service changed all spark plugs and again the problem was temporarily solved for around 10K miles.

They told me that the problem could be related with coil packs, spark plugs, cables, valves, the ecu.... it seems they don't have a clear way to find what's exactly the problem and in the meantime I have to pay for their experiments!

I took the DIY way, read the forums and it seems to be a really common problem with idsi fits, and all post describe the problem as related with a cylinder misfire.

I try to disassemble the coils and sparks and could only remove the front ones, I noticed all of them has an orange tip but one of them is pink (don't know if this is ok or can be a signal of something) the sparks look ok but I've changed it anyway. (the problem still persist)

I bought a clone elm327 reader to check if I could find the common fault codes with torque and to my surprise, there are no stored fault codes in the ecu. I'm not sure if this is true or the clone reader cannot successfully get the fault codes (I can see the realtime data but no fault codes)

Any suggestions?

Old 01-01-2014, 12:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by baloco
Hi Guys,

My 1st gen fit (2006) 1.4 i-dsi cvt with around 90K miles began to stutter since 60K miles. Right now it happens several times in almost every trip. Almost always below 60 miles/hour, more frequently with the a/c on and accelerating between 1.5K and 2.5K rpm. Sometimes the engine has stopped if I was waiting on a red light with the gear on D. The engine light never turned on during the faults.

A year ago Honda changed 1 spark plug and the problem was solved for around 10K miles, and then appeared again.

6 months ago, the next programmed service changed all spark plugs and again the problem was temporarily solved for around 10K miles.

They told me that the problem could be related with coil packs, spark plugs, cables, valves, the ecu.... it seems they don't have a clear way to find what's exactly the problem and in the meantime I have to pay for their experiments!

I took the DIY way, read the forums and it seems to be a really common problem with idsi fits, and all post describe the problem as related with a cylinder misfire.

I try to disassemble the coils and sparks and could only remove the front ones, I noticed all of them has an orange tip but one of them is pink (don't know if this is ok or can be a signal of something) the sparks look ok but I've changed it anyway. (the problem still persist)

I bought a clone elm327 reader to check if I could find the common fault codes with torque and to my surprise, there are no stored fault codes in the ecu. I'm not sure if this is true or the clone reader cannot successfully get the fault codes (I can see the realtime data but no fault codes)

Any suggestions?

I'm not sure a clogged injector would throw a code but you should clean up the injectors anyway with a good cleaner, preferrably one without alcohol. It may require several tankfulls; and of course you could remove the injectors and clean them or have them cleaned. We find the troops here that have the least trouble withmisfiring also use a bottle of injector cleaner once a month.
Since the trouble is intermittent changing the plugs could increase plug firing just enough to fire a weak mixture. my curiosity is arused when you said changing just one spark plug solved the problem; why just one plug and why would that one be pinpointing the stuttering?
Also I would close up the gap to about .030", (0.75 mm), the next time it happens to see if its really ignition related.
good luck; chasing down a weak performing component is never fun - or cheap.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:17 PM
Thanks Mahout for the quick response.

Indeed, the problem just got worse after changing the front spark plugs!

I'm not sure why changing one spark plug solved the problem, as it was part of the programmed manteinance, they also changed oil, filters, etc... (not sure if they actually changed the spark plug or they told me that to make me happy)

Will try cleaning the injectors, I though using injector cleaners mixed with gas was a bad idea because they could remove dust from the tank, is that myth?

What you mean with closing the gap to .75mm?

Thanks again!

Old 01-01-2014, 09:06 PM
I have 2008 that had similar problems from around the 60K point (I know have 127k). My friend is a service adviser at a dealer so I took it too him. Could not get a code or pinpoint the problem. After a year or so trying everything from specific brands of gas to using injector cleaner every tank, American Honda finally got back to us with a fix.

The recommended repair is replace all plugs, coil packs, and do the valves. Since I have done this, I have had zero trouble with it! My MPG even increase aprox 5/gal. I was very frustrated because of the lack of codes and obvious problem, but now the car runs great! Hope this helps you.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by baloco
Thanks Mahout for the quick response.

Indeed, the problem just got worse after changing the front spark plugs!

I'm not sure why changing one spark plug solved the problem, as it was part of the programmed manteinance, they also changed oil, filters, etc... (not sure if they actually changed the spark plug or they told me that to make me happy)

Will try cleaning the injectors, I though using injector cleaners mixed with gas was a bad idea because they could remove dust from the tank, is that myth?

What you mean with closing the gap to .75mm?

Thanks again!
Confused, did the problem get worse after changing 'front' plug (is that number 1 cylinder plug?)and or changing one plug solved the problem.
There is doubt whether intermittent stuttering would throw a code but it should. Likewise. poor valve clrearance and other maintenance items should throw codes if they interference with ignition firing so while setting clearances, filters, ignition timing, plugs, coil paks etc is good practice they will throw codes if they persist. At your milege 90km, 56k miles, you are expected to replace plugs, coil paks, and reset valve clearances as normal maintenance. If that has been done, I can only blame the injectors for not injecting enough fuel on occasion and that doesnt throw a code that I kow of.

BTW 0.75mm is 0.030" of an inch; i.e. 30 thousandths of an inch. It just makes the spark easier to jump across the electrodes so if the problem goes away the plug or coil is likely at fault. OEM BTW is 0.044" or 44/1000 of an inch.
Just had the thought that perhaps the plug wire is at fault, or the connection and it was cured just by disconnecting, moving and reconnecting so you might want to check those connections too. Its possible they might begin tight and loosen with mileage due to vibration, impact, etc.

Last edited by mahout; 01-02-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:39 AM
Hi my 2002 jazz stutters intermitently usually between 40 -60 kph. Often after turning a corner but not always, mostly it does it once but I have had it stutter 4 to 5 times in a few seconds. The stutter happens every time I go out in the car, sometimes once or twice per trip other times 5 or 6 times per trip

Old 07-01-2014, 06:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pjanddjbell@gmail.com
Hi my 2002 jazz stutters intermitently usually between 40 -60 kph. Often after turning a corner but not always, mostly it does it once but I have had it stutter 4 to 5 times in a few seconds. The stutter happens every time I go out in the car, sometimes once or twice per trip other times 5 or 6 times per trip
It's failing coil packs. I guess you're accelerating after you turn the corner which makes the coil pack fire much faster due to the higher RPMs, and that in turn increases the chances of the coil pack not firing. It's common with the Fit.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:37 PM
5 Year Member
I have a 2008 Fit LX with 70K km and had stuttering about 2 weeks ago.
I cleaned the coil posts/springs and gapped plugs to .044 (they were probably around .051)

It has been good for week now.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
I have the same problem. It used to stall in the AM when it's cold and when I'm accelerating. I got the valves adjusted and they were found to be very tight before adjustments. Now my car stalls when I'm at the stop light. It happens once a week. Car would stuttered really quick then stall. Getting to be very annoying. Cost me 250 to adjust valves and now I may need to replace coils and plugs.
How much do they charge for parts and labor?

Sounds like a trend and right ar about 60k miles. Could this be a recall event or wear and tear?

Old 07-10-2014, 06:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hqly
I have the same problem. It used to stall in the AM when it's cold and when I'm accelerating. I got the valves adjusted and they were found to be very tight before adjustments. Now my car stalls when I'm at the stop light. It happens once a week. Car would stuttered really quick then stall. Getting to be very annoying. Cost me 250 to adjust valves and now I may need to replace coils and plugs.
How much do they charge for parts and labor?

Sounds like a trend and right ar about 60k miles. Could this be a recall event or wear and tear?
Replace the coils and plugs.
I just did at 143K miles. Big help!

Changing Spark Plugs (L15A VTEC) | Honda Fit DIY

Old 08-05-2014, 06:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Marco99
I have a 2008 Fit LX with 70K km and had stuttering about 2 weeks ago.
I cleaned the coil posts/springs and gapped plugs to .044 (they were probably around .051)

It has been good for week now.
Problem came back after a few weeks....

I ordered these coils (Beck Arnley 178-8374 Direct Ignition Coil) from Amazon.ca
and they came with (Hitachi) part # IGC0053 and MADE IN JAPAN stamped on them for a fraction of dealer price.....will install tomorrow

Old 11-01-2019, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Marco99
Problem came back after a few weeks....

I ordered these coils (Beck Arnley 178-8374 Direct Ignition Coil) from Amazon.ca
and they came with (Hitachi) part # IGC0053 and MADE IN JAPAN stamped on them for a fraction of dealer price.....will install tomorrow

Five years later and still running like a champ!