Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

DIY: Which is broken - the key or the lock?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 05:03 PM
DIY: Which is broken - the key or the lock?

I have a 2007 base model Fit w/keyed (not keyless entry) door locks.
The problem started with the driver's side door a few months ago.
The key started to stick in the lock, then worsened to the point
where the key only went in halfway. We could still get into the passenger side door.

Then the same thing happened to the passenger door lock.
The only way to get into the car now is through the back hatch.
Unfortunately, the key is starting to act sticky in the ignition switch now.

The keys we use have a lot of wear on them, so it could be a problem with the keys. The car has spent its life along the northwest coast of Canada where it's rainy year round. Water getting into the locks is a problem since the door locks angle out at the bottom, causing water to pool here.

Should the lock cylinders be replaced?
OR
Should new keys be made?
OR
Both? (I sure hope not!)

I would prefer not to replace this with a keyless entry system,
but if that's the only option, I can live with it.

Cost estimates:
$200/ new key
$250/ 2 new cylinders + the labor to install these.

Thanks,
Ellen

Old 01-06-2014, 08:44 PM
How many keys do you have? Are you using all of them to get into the car? I ask because my 2007 Base has at least two keys. I'm the only person who ever drives it so the extra key has just stayed in a box in my house and could be used as my backup key in the case my first key craps out like yours sounds like it did.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:28 PM
We have two keys, but both are worn. Good idea though!

Old 01-07-2014, 07:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DWils
the extra key has just stayed in a box
Save that key as a backup.

Also before spending a lot of money, lubricate your locks with the proper liquid:

Graphite lubricants will not gum up the mechanism like regular oils. The liquid carrier evaporates, leaving a dry material inside.

+++++++++

Also, prevent your keys and lock cylinders (especially ignition) from wearing out by reducing any other things that weigh the key ring down. (Other keys, flashlights, store card readers, etc) Use a key fob with a detachable section.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:03 PM
Thanks for this. I'll give Lock-Ease a try first.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:55 PM
Lock cylinders need replacing - COSTLY!

I tried the Lock-Ease but it did nothing. Then I went to the local locksmith who said it might be that one or more tumblers was stuck. I had the tumblers taken out, but the locksmith could not fix them and I had to order two new cylinders from Honda. Cost:

$ 128 driver's side cylinder
$ 74 passenger side cylinder
$ 150 for 2 hours labor SO FAR to take out the tumblers and door handles

The locksmith said he sees LOTS OF HONDAS WITH LOCKS THAT GO BAD from too much moisture in the tumblers and no regular maintenance with a spray lubricant.

I hope this helps other Honda Fit owners who have the same problem. In the end, this will cost around $5-600. It takes 4-5 days to order the cylinders in Canada. These must be delivered to a Honda dealer. Since we live an hour and a half from the nearest dealer there is an additional shipping charge. It also means we will have three keys to the car - ignition and hatch, driver door, and passenger door. The cost for rekeying all these to match would be around $160 more.

Fortunately this is the only problem we've had with the car, which we bought used in Spring, 2013.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by emmarsh

The locksmith said he sees LOTS OF HONDAS WITH LOCKS THAT GO BAD from too much moisture in the tumblers and no regular maintenance with a spray lubricant.
Too bad the Lock-Ease didn't work, but save it for the new lock cylinders (and the ignition, too).

Use it on any car you have, especially before winter when freezing locks are a problem.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:36 PM
Crap! For all the money you're dumping into it you could have bought the keyless entry system! I think the one that I bought was less than $200 from College Hills Honda.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator
For the OP's future maintenance of his door key issues, coming from up North the weather is wet and cold. My son (in NJ) had a similar situation last year with his keys not being able to go in the door tumbler and turning. It progressively got worse. With his vehicle out of warranty, my local mechanic suggested spraying 100% denatured alcohol to disperse any accumulated moisture. That did the trick. He also advised against lubing it with WD40 or any other oil based solvent.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ROTTBOY
For the OP's future maintenance of his door key issues, coming from up North the weather is wet and cold. My son (in NJ) had a similar situation last year with his keys not being able to go in the door tumbler and turning. It progressively got worse. With his vehicle out of warranty, my local mechanic suggested spraying 100% denatured alcohol to disperse any accumulated moisture. That did the trick. He also advised against lubing it with WD40 or any other oil based solvent.
I am a locksmith. I live in near Cleveland Ohio where we get plenty of cold weather. I have used WD-40 for about 30 years with no ill effects, however Tri-Flow is better since it has powdered teflon in it. Alcohol will dry out the moisture, but WD or Tri-Flow will displace it, which should be enough. I recommend lubing the locks about 4 times a year-especially just before winter. Now, if you live in a very dusty area, I would use a dry spray teflon lube instead.