Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Engine codes after replacing coil packs and spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 10:27 AM
Engine codes after replacing coil packs and spark plugs

Hi,

I have a 2008 Fit Sport. Like many of you I was having misfire codes and replaced the coil packs and spark plugs. It has been running worlds better since that, but I took it to Auto Zone and it is still showing the codes when they read it. Will they go away after a certain number of miles? I need to get my car inspected and I think those codes may lead to it failing.

Thanks
Tara

Old 05-31-2014, 10:46 AM
5 Year Member
Don't wait for the codes to go away, have them cleared.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:38 AM
5 Year Member
Removing the negative cable from the battery for a few minutes then re install it to clear a code.. Be sure that you have the 5 digit code number to enter on your sound system afterward.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:32 AM
5 Year Member
^^^ and if you do it that way, you are well-advised to do the Idle Learn Procedure afterwards. (Should take you 15 minutes...less if the engine is relatively warm)

Clearing the codes by disconnecting the battery forces the engine computer to re-learn (over several drive cycles) some of the parameters it uses. Until then, it will not be able to be inspected. It will fail because the Readiness Codes have not been set.

It might be just as easy to drive the car as-is for a week, and let the misfire codes disappear by themselves. Here in NJ, as long as the Check Engine Light is off, you should be OK.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:30 AM
5 Year Member
Living in a rural area where emissions aren't checked, just having working lights, horn, turn signals, wipers, brakes and tread depth within limits will get you through the state inspection as long as the CEL isn't on.. I once overheard a kid that was doing inspections ask a girl if she was a cop before putting a sticker on her car..

Old 06-01-2014, 09:32 AM
5 Year Member
^^ Haha, that's a sure fire way to know if they're an undercover cop since if they say "No" it is technically entrapment.

Definitely clear the Diagnostic Trouble Codes with either a scanner or by disconnecting the negative battery cable for a moment just as Texas Coyote mentioned. After this, the car will have to be driven a bit to have its emissions monitors to "Ready"... There is no REAL need to go through a sequence of drive cycles unless you urgently NEED to have the monitors set to ready for emissions testing as soon as possible. The vehicle will always perform the self check on its emission systems and monitors whenever it is driven.

To check that the monitors are set, with the vehicle off turn your key to the ON position (everything has power, engine is off) and watch the check engine light. After a period of 20 seconds it'll either flash 5 times or goes off right away. If it flashes, you have emissions monitors that have not set. If it goes off right away, the emissions monitors have ran and things are ok.

Like recommended by Carbuff2, it is suggested to let the vehicle do its Idle Relearn Procedure after clearing your codes (via scanner or negative battery cable) by simply letting it idle with NO loads on the engine for about 15 to 20 minutes. Make sure the radio is off, A/C is off, HVAC blower fan is off (interior fan speed to 0 in other words).