Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Lifting Car from Front

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
Lifting Car from Front

Today I bought the Pittsburgh compact low profile racing aluminum jack. Got it on sale and used a coupon to get it for $59.99. The full size racing jack was $129. It is a little longer and lifts higher but higher isn't my issue.

With this jack I can't really reach the front jacking point from the front. I can reach it from the side but can't lift handle. Any ideas?

Was thinking to lift from the side with another jack to get the car high enough to reach from the front with my new jack. Is this a practical approach or should I return this one and get the full size jack?

It's hard to justify spending double the amount on a jack for it to maybe work.

In the past I raised the car from the side rail (not the side jacking point), and bent the side rail here and there. I don't want to do that anymore. Lifting the back is easy, lift right up no problem.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:07 PM
There's a guy around this forum that does a ton of diy videos, he recommended to get in from the front wheel well

Old 06-16-2014, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SieGunso
There's a guy around this forum that does a ton of diy videos, he recommended to get in from the front wheel well
I thought about that, turning the tire towards the right and squeezing the jack in there.

What I eneded up doing is using a trolley jack on the driver side lift point then went in from the front with the race jack. Had to do a ton of mini pumps but eventually got it to where I wanted it.

Guess with a little experimentation I answered my own question. Thanks.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:59 AM
5 Year Member
I've always used the jacking point on the rocker panel just behind (to the rear of) the front wheel. I protect my metal by using a hockey puck as a pad so the metal will not scratch. You have to be careful not to apply pressure to the plastic rocker extensions (if you have a Sport).

That front jacking point can lift both wheels on that side if your jack can lift it high enough...

Old 06-17-2014, 09:11 AM
Yeah i've always just used the rocker panels. They're tough as hell honestly.

When my car was stock I was able to reach the crossmember from in front of the tire going sideways, but I have a base. Then again I was able to change the oil without jacking the car up when it was stock, so I think there's a bit more clearance with the base bumper than sport. I never did get to make that video lol

Old 06-17-2014, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Yeah i've always just used the rocker panels. They're tough as hell honestly.
I have divets on the underside of the car on the long thin metal rail that runs the length of the car, the side skirts attach to it. Is this the rocker panel your referring too? If so, it doesn't seem that strong.

It was the only part of the car I could lift from because if I'm lifting from the side reinforced area behind fron tires, I obviously can't put the jack stand there. That was the issue I was having with my old jack. It had a small saddle/cup area and dug into the rail. Maybe the new racing jack with the larger rubber saddle won't do that. I'll have to give it a try.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitguy07
Was thinking to lift from the side with another jack to get the car high enough to reach from the front with my new jack.
yup, start with the scissor jack.

that what I normally do. I got seriously ripped off on the jack, but oh well. Despite it being a "low profile" jack, even with one corner of the Fit up in the air, the jack's handle ends up under the Fit (probably a medium length jack, definitely not the longest) and I barely have any movement on it to lift the Fit. Have to start with small movements, then, as the Fit goes up, I get more room for the handle.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
yup, start with the scissor jack.

that what I normally do. I got seriously ripped off on the jack, but oh well. Despite it being a "low profile" jack, even with one corner of the Fit up in the air, the jack's handle ends up under the Fit (probably a medium length jack, definitely not the longest) and I barely have any movement on it to lift the Fit. Have to start with small movements, then, as the Fit goes up, I get more room for the handle.
Yup, that's exactly what I had to do. Lots of mini pumps then finally some clearance. I'm like the Fit IS A CAR. Why am I having so much trouble, people jack up their damn cars all the time! Lol.

I have the compact racing jack which is a great jack. I think even the longer Pittsburgh racing jack which is an extra 4 inches or so probably won't do it. The handle will still hit the front bumper and I'm not even lowered!

Can someone design a super long, super low profile jack for the Fit please!

Old 06-18-2014, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by Fitguy07
I have divets on the underside of the car on the long thin metal rail that runs the length of the car, the side skirts attach to it. Is this the rocker panel your referring too? If so, it doesn't seem that strong.
The standard jacking point for the scissor jack.

Not a Fit but you get the idea:

Maybe a pain in the ass to get to on the sport with the sideskirts, idk, I don't have any lol. That seam is really strong though, I jack from there with no pad and it hasn't bent at at all.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
With today's emphasis on Aero, the front and sides of many cars are low to the ground, and pose problems for jack access.

Easy thing to do is to buy some 1" thick boards, cut one short edge beveled, and drive the front wheels onto the board...then the jack fits easily.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Carbuff2
With today's emphasis on Aero, the front and sides of many cars are low to the ground, and pose problems for jack access.

Easy thing to do is to buy some 1" thick boards, cut one short edge beveled, and drive the front wheels onto the board...then the jack fits easily.
That's a good idea too. I will keep on experimenting.

1st pic is the reinforced area for changing tire, doing brakes, looking under car etc.

2nd and 3rd pic is the rail with divets I was talking about not being strong.

4th pic is my question to whether you can jack here or not, looks like the chassis/frame and its a little further under the car. Can the car be lifted from here or would that area bend? Thanks again for all the help.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:49 PM
Oh yeah, definitely don't use that rail with divots for jacking. Just the reinforced seam. Thanks for clarifying.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Oh yeah, definitely don't use that rail with divots for jacking. Just the reinforced seam. Thanks for clarifying.
That was the confusion I was getting to. You said rocker panels so I wanted to make sure you didn't mean that rail underneath. Thanks.