Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Pinion bar/Rack bar play

Old 08-15-2014, 06:06 AM
Pinion bar/Rack bar play

Hello guys!

Im new in this forum and i see a lot of helpful topics here that guided me in repairing my fit. I have a problem now that i cant find an answer anywhere. it is about the pinion bar/rack bar play which causes a worrisome noise when going into small bumps.

my question now is, can i put a bushing (rubber or metal) that could make it a snug fit between the rod and the tube? or i simply have to replace the whole steering rack?

this is the image, the pinion rod and the tube if you can see has a gap. the image is posted sideways

TIA

PicPaste - IMG_2337-evcLWS2L.jpeg
PicPaste - IMG_8604-m5iLcWxB.jpeg

Last edited by flipbizkit; 08-15-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:29 PM
Put a tie wrap

Originally Posted by flipbizkit View Post
Hello guys!

Im new in this forum and i see a lot of helpful topics here that guided me in repairing my fit. I have a problem now that i cant find an answer anywhere. it is about the pinion bar/rack bar play which causes a worrisome noise when going into small bumps.

my question now is, can i put a bushing (rubber or metal) that could make it a snug fit between the rod and the tube? or i simply have to replace the whole steering rack?

this is the image, the pinion rod and the tube if you can see has a gap. the image is posted sideways

TIA

PicPaste - IMG_2337-evcLWS2L.jpeg
PicPaste - IMG_8604-m5iLcWxB.jpeg
Insert a tie wrap in the space. That's what I did in mine and it's still working from 2 years ago

Old 07-03-2018, 10:13 AM
5 Year Member
Hi i have the same problem.

Do you have any pictures of what you did?

Best regards