Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Installed new ignition switch but won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 11:44 AM
5 Year Member
Installed new ignition switch but won't start.

I have a 2008 Base Fit with over 411,000 miles on it and I recently started having trouble with the ignition switch not wanting to turn. I use to work as a delivery driver so with all the stop n' starts I made every day I figure I've turned the swtich at least 30,000 times or more. I figure the tumbers inside the ignition lock were bad so I ordered a new unit from RockAuto.com . With the exception of having to drill out the bolts holding the ignition unit to the steering column it was a pretty easy job. My problem is that now the car will turn over but it won't start. I assume the computer is not receiving a proper key code or something like that but I don't know how to fix it. The new ignition switch came with new key's so I'm using those and not the old ones. The old keys won't turn in the cylinder. I did activate the radio using the 6 digit code hoping that would fix it but it didn't. The only thing I can think of is that I bought an ignition switch for a 2007 automatic fit and not a 2008 automatic. RockAuto only offered a unit for a manual transmission in 2008. All connections are hooked up in the back including the steering wheel air bag. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance!

Soccerdude

Old 09-14-2014, 03:17 PM
You're probably missing the immobilizer system, which is looking for the chip in the old key but not finding it. You may be able to fake it out, so to speak, by holding the old key next to the keyswitch while using the new one; if that does work, you could tape or glue an old key in position (and, of course, lose the protection of the immobilizer). Assuming the keys you got are properly chipped, you probably could also reprogram the immobilizer to use them, though that may require a dealership visit.

I kind of think there may have been some general instructions available searching here, but I believe those required access to a working key. I might be remembering wrong, too; possibly they were only applicable to the lock/unlock fob, not the immobilizer, or I'm confusing things with another vehicle model altogether.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member
Well I got it working but it cost me $400 total including $250 for the ignition switch and $150 for an auto locksmith to cut new keys and transfer the old chips into the new keys. Here's some info for anyone who ever needs to replace their ignition switch.

1. If the key isn't turning or gets stuck you can take the entire ignition switch assembly to a good auto keysmith and they can replace the worn tumblers and cut you new keys if needed. Cost is around $150. This is the easiest and least expensive option.

2. When removing the ignition switch you'll quicky find that the two bolts that hold the assembly to the steering column are missing their heads. That means you can't use a wrench to loosen the bolts and remove the unit. The manual says you have to drill out the bolts with a 5mm bit but that's not 100% correct. If you remove the steering wheel you can slide the assembly off with a little elbow grease and some patience. Make sure you disconnect the negative battery cable so you don't accidentally blow the airbag.

3. If that sucker is stuck on real good and you absolutely have to drill the bolts then you'll need to buy a new assembly. Order one off of Rockauto.com as they have the best price. Make sure you buy the right year model AND a manual transmission or automatic transmission model depending on your car. If you buy the wrong year model you will get the wrong keys and the wireless sending unit will not connect to your cars computer. Order the right year model and you're plug and play. You MAY have to install your old sending unit onto the new assembly most likely not.

4. If you cannot buy the correct unit for your year model then you can buy another year model but it will cost you more money in the long run and you need to make some modifications. Example: you have a 2008 Fit with automatic transmission and you can only find a unit for a 2009 Fit with automatic transmission. It's ok as the assembly for all year models is the same but the keys and sending unit that come with the new assembly will need to be replaced. Take the old sending unit off your old ignition switch and put it on the new one. The sending unit is the round plastic piece right where the key goes in. It's held on by 4 very small screws. Next, take your keys with you to an auto keymaker along with $150 bucks. They will take the chips out of your old keys and install them in new, special keys that only they sell. Make sure you bring the new keys that came with the new assembly as they'll use them to help cut your new, special keys to fit in the new units tumblers. Once the new assembly is installed with your old sending unit attached your new, special keys will start the car.

5. Very important! Your new, special keys will not unlock your doors! You will need to keep your old, original keys to unlock your car OR have a locksmith re-tool your locks for the new, special keys. That will cost you extra money.

Sounds complicated but it's not. It does take time to do it right but with patience you'll figure it all out. Word to the wise, plan on taking off your steering wheel to give you more room to work and it makes the job much more simple.

Soccerdude