Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Stock air box mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 07:35 PM
Stock air box mods

In light of all the recent discussion on air intakes I started messing around w/ mine just for grins. (Sport AT)

First mod was the K&N air filter. Slight difference, but not much. Didn't really expect any power. $45 gives a long-lasting cleanable air filter w/ the 'potential' to increase flow.

Looking at all those baffles and silencers, I had to wonder, how would it respond without these? The real question: how much power I am giving up in exchange for quiet?

SO the first thing I did was remove the bulbous one just above the rubber CAI snorkel. Once small rivet keeps it from twisting but otherwise is a press fit...in trying to negotiate with it, I broke the tab w/ the rivet. No worries here, as it is held in place by the rubber seal press fit. I can always put it back on. After removing it, you see a small tube which sticks up out of the intake tract. I just happened to have a small rubber end cap that slip-fits perfect over this.

Next I stuffed a paper towel wad into the chamber in the bottom of the air box to eliminate this chamber...there is a sharp 90 turn to the left, but it is sufficiently blocked. I was concerned about the suction pulling out the wad, but first, the air filter between the engine & the paper, and second, after testing, it didn't budge.

First impression: these three 'mods' together seem to make some form of difference. Sound isn't that loud, though the tone is different...throttle response is changed a bit, but I can't say for the worse. And it seems the engine has a bit more spark in the mid-range.

I'm not proclaiming this is the 'way to go' for gobs of power, but I'm thinking to keep this setup for a while and see how it does. I suggest someone try this setup and dyno it, or at least drive it to get a second opinion...other than being careful w/ the rivet, it is something that is easily reversible (just don't stuff the paper towel down too far)!

I may next look into the extra 'stuff' around the air filter-throttle body tract.

Old 10-09-2006, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
haha paper towel lol. I woulda just covered it up w/ blue painters tape or some electrical tape to make it easily removeable and totally sealed off. HEY i might go do it right now!!! ::runs off to the car::

Ima go try the same thing u did cept w/o the K & N filter. ima just use my stock one.

Old 10-09-2006, 08:32 PM
I suppose tape would also work...I was initially wondering about...yep you guessed! HEAT! The possibility of tape coming un-done may be an issue. But interestingly, after lots of driving w/ the engine nice and hot, I can pop the hood and touch the plastic around the snorkel and it is cold!

Old 10-10-2006, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by claymore
Like I said all that air flowing ...cold .... anyway you have me a little confused. If you look in the airbox after taking out the filter is the part you blocked the about 1 inch hole that is low down on the back of the box going into the second half (rear) of your airbox or where? Or are your USDM ones different? Sounds like something I would like to try.
I believe our boxes are different, judging from the pics you posted recently. On the USDM models, there is a smaller air filter box, w/ a big resonator chamber built on the left side...it is fed by a really small narrow opening moulded into the plastic on the front side of the air box (front w/ respect to the car front).

I'll take a few pics of mine.

I'm now questioning whether or not elminating these chambers has reduced throttle response and low end power. But it certainly seemed to change the mid-range a bit.

Old 10-10-2006, 07:37 PM
5 Year Member
Here's a nice clear pic of the US/Canadian airbox if it helps. Sounds to me like the results mimic to a lesser degree what a chamber intake does when added to the Fit. This is the kind of thing I think some people missed in some of the other intake discussions around here -- everyone cares about max HP gains and seem to shrug off the drivability gains that a intake can provide, which may be more important in the end. Curious to see where your experiments go.

Old 10-10-2006, 08:53 PM
I've actually toyed w/ the idea of making my own chamber intake...I've been exposed to, but never tried, to making plugs/molds in the RC aircraft hobby. I don't think it would be too difficult to carve out the rough shape of a chamber & lay up the part.

But I wanted to go the cheaper/quicker route and see what the factory intake offers.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:48 AM
vbo
Originally Posted by sonorliteman
In light of all the recent discussion on air intakes I started messing around w/ mine just for grins.........
You can take pictures ?

Old 10-11-2006, 10:26 AM
Pics to come...I didn't get em uploaded last night. I discovered some 'suprises'. A custom chamber intake may be in order!

Old 10-12-2006, 10:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by claymore
Finally the old section that is INSIDE the fender leading down to behind the front bumper. Look how small it gets squashed down to in the curvy section. You USDM guy have these inside the fender?
Nope, don't think so -- I've seen pics in another thread for a CAI install here and no such part in the fender. Also, the paintball tank is on the airbox itself here, and not the rubber inlet hose like yours.

Old 10-13-2006, 10:56 AM
No pics yet, but I cant tell everyone that I have unblocked the larger air chabmer built into the air filter housing. The pics that I hope to soon upload show that that little opening feeds a hug air chamber moulded into the bottom of the intake, which incidently feeds all the way up to the throttle body! There are several baffles to guide air from the filter to the TB, but it is concievable that air could travel UNFILTERED into the TB by way of this enormous air duct. What I think is actually happening, is that this chamber is used to balance pressure and cancel certain harmonics w/ the pre-filter side of the setup.

Nevertheless, after driving it several days, I've noticed the low end throttle response just wasn't the same...worse than stock. So I removed the paper towel 'wad' and drove to wk this AM...much better low end response. I think I'll leave it alone! Honda probably didn't let too much power get away w/ this design.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:13 AM
vbo
Originally Posted by sonorliteman
No pics yet, but I cant tell everyone that I have unblocked the larger air chabmer built into the air filter housing. The pics that I hope to soon upload show that that little opening feeds a hug air chamber moulded into the bottom of the intake, which incidently feeds all the way up to the throttle body! There are several baffles to guide air from the filter to the TB, but it is concievable that air could travel UNFILTERED into the TB by way of this enormous air duct. What I think is actually happening, is that this chamber is used to balance pressure and cancel certain harmonics w/ the pre-filter side of the setup.

Nevertheless, after driving it several days, I've noticed the low end throttle response just wasn't the same...worse than stock. So I removed the paper towel 'wad' and drove to wk this AM...much better low end response. I think I'll leave it alone! Honda probably didn't let too much power get away w/ this design.
???? I don't speak very good english. What is it ?

Old 10-16-2006, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by vbo
???? I don't speak very good english. What is it ?

Paper towel? http://www.brawnyman.com/products/towels.html

Old 10-17-2006, 12:50 AM
vbo
Bounty... lol...

Haaa... In stock intake system, we have a paper tower ???