Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 06:50 PM
What would you do?

I'm the new owner of a '07 Sport Auto with 133k miles. Unfortunately no maintenance records came with the car. There is only one bit of evidence work was done and that's a sticker from some service center saying the car should have it's oil changed at 135k miles.

My question is, aside from tracking the previous owner down and pestering him, should I just replace every filter, fluid and belt in the car just to be safe? BTW- How many belts are there to be changed? Serpentine? Timing?

Here is what I am assuming needs to be done:
Air, Cabin, Fuel, and Oil filters
Engine oil, radiator, power steering fluid, and ATF change. (Brake fluid?)
Spark plugs, F brake pads, R shoes, front rotors (definitely need to be changed)
Wiper blades (F&R)

Anything I'm forgetting?

Thanks!

Old 12-02-2017, 11:22 AM
5 Year Member
should I just replace every filter, fluid and belt in the car just to be safe?

Here is what I am assuming needs to be done:
Not necessarily.
Inspect the condition of all that you can, THEN decide if replacement is necessary, or not.

There is no timing belt. It's a chain drive, and I've not personally seen issues with the chains in this particular engine even at 300k+ miles.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member
Given that Honda ATF is difficult to determine age visually (it will NEVER smell 'burnt') and coolant likewise, I'd be replacing those two, and any 'maintenance items' like engine & cabin air filters, ATF, coolant, and brake fluid. I'd also be lubing the sway bar bushes and lower ball joints (use a needle attachment on a grease gun to inject grease into the rubber boots).

Old 12-02-2017, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
What you are doing, is establishing a maintenance history for this vehicle starting with you.
And with a 10+ year old vehicle, with 133K miles on it? I don't think you can go wrong with any of the things you mentioned.
If you do them all -what is the worst case scenario? That you changed a fluid prematurely?- I would be OK with that.
If your intent is to put a LOT more miles on the vehicle? Then doing as much as possible is not a bad thing.

Old 12-02-2017, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
Scratch power steering fluid off the list as well. Electric power steering.

Only one drive belt and no timing belt.

I agree...replace all to establish a new baseline. The past isn't important.

Good news is that it will not cost much as there aren't many things to replace. The one BIG item not on your list though is valve adjustment. It's very easy to do yourself and costs near zero $. Just follow the how too on this forum. The one thing you may need to buy is a set of feeler gauges. Valve checks are due every 60k miles and few owners/dealers do it despite it being required.

Oh...no fuel filter either. It's just a sock on the pump in tank and is not considered a maintenance item.

Yes, on the brake fluid. It's due every two years and few change it.

So, here's a list...

Oil/filter
ATF fluid
Coolant
Drive belt
spark plugs
cabin filter
brakes - front pads/rotors if needed. rears are probably fine other than could use adjusting. Ours are just now looking worn. change fluid.
valve adjustment

Last edited by GAFIT; 12-02-2017 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:48 AM
Awesome! Thank you so much for the input. I'm doing the front rotors, maybe pads, engine & cabin filters, and trying to figure out the climate control problem today. If I have time, I'll do the ATF as well. Nice to hear the valve adj is easy. I'll def read about that and do it soon. I may have my local shop do the plugs and drive belt just so they can check out the vehicle. I think I saw a sticky on bleeding the brakes so I'll do that soon. Oh, and Carbuff2, thanks for the tip about the bushings!

Now, about the engine oil, I know this is a touchy subject on many other car/motorcycle forum sites. So, I know I'm poking the bee hive. Lol...

Synthetic Oil OK at this point? 5k miles an OK interval?

Last edited by bikerdrumr; 12-03-2017 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 12-03-2017, 09:41 AM
5 Year Member
Full synthetic with OEM filter at 5k intervals is exactly what we do in all our vehicles.

It's a touch subject everywhere with answers ranging from piss in the crankcase and run it 20,000 miles to only run custom blended full synthetic and change every 500 miles. I've sent a handful of oil samples to Blackstone for analysis from a few vehicles through the years which is how I came about my 5k full synthetic routine.

For the plugs, they are easiest done at the same time as the valve adjustment.

If you want a mechanic to look it over, I'd have them do the drive belt. It's a bit of a pain. Plan on re-tightening the belt after about 500 miles. It's not self adjusting which I find really odd this day and age.