Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

The effect of midpipe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 08:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SD_MR_FIT
not to bash. i somewhat agree on what you have said.

but, i bought this car to be different and fast.
its easy to make a civic/integra fast. but it takes more money and time to make a fit fast. and not many people around here are modding fits. so when i go pulling on cars on the track, ill definitely get more respect then a ordinary civic. just my opinion. i mean if i really wanted to be fast from the get go i would probably have boughten a srt4, or a civic si or something. but those we already know can be easily fast. but fits, heh thats a different story.

don't worry man, i kinda agree with you too!

while i do like my fit a lot, i'm not going to lie to myself and say that if money wasn't a factor, i'd still purchase it.

civics are popluar to make fast because its cheap to do so. our fits, yeah i know, not so much. but its nice to be different in the honda crowd so i am TOTALLY with you on that.

but i guess making a fit fast isn't so much an issue with the platform or weight, its just the availabiltiy of parts and such. heck, the KWSC i plan on getting down the line is going to be the thing that keeps me from moving up any sooner to a car like a gti or si! so again, i agree with you there.

i just also realize that deleting this and deleting that wont add so much more power that'll all be ok with the other after effects. thats all that i meant.

no harm no foul man!

Old 02-19-2008, 03:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitinfit
it's all personal choices, if you don't like it, look away!
Wow, what an awesome attitude! Imagine what the world would be like if everyone lived by your philosophy!

And to all of you who swear by taking off the cat: quit lying to yourselves; your ground-pounding 85hp feels the exact same as the 86 you had after you paid 250$ for a foot-long piece of tubing with 2 flanges and a nut welded to it. You felt a bigger increase from all the weight you lost from your wallet. Plus all the brain cells you kill sniffing those fumes every time you slow down hafta weigh something, right?

So your car sounds fast (like a swarm of angry Africanized bees as heard through a nice set of tweeters), looks fast (tinted windows and a wing), and now it smells fast (a mix between rotten eggs, gasoline and the shats you get from the mystery meat menudo washed down with a glass of Tijuana's finest tap water). I guess the only thing missing is to actually BE fast. And on a turbo car under 350hp, a good high-flow cat doesn't lose much to a straight pipe, while bringing the emissions down to near-stock levels. But I guess its always been "cool" not to give a f*ck.

Last edited by fshwcrs; 02-19-2008 at 03:29 AM.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fshwcrs
Wow, what an awesome attitude! Imagine what the world would be like if everyone lived by your philosophy!

And to all of you who swear by taking off the cat: quit lying to yourselves; your ground-pounding 85hp feels the exact same as the 86 you had after you paid 250$ for a foot-long piece of tubing with 2 flanges and a nut welded to it. You felt a bigger increase from all the weight you lost from your wallet. Plus all the brain cells you kill sniffing those fumes every time you slow down hafta weigh something, right?

So your car sounds fast (like a swarm of angry Africanized bees as heard through a nice set of tweeters), looks fast (tinted windows and a wing), and now it smells fast (a mix between rotten eggs, gasoline and the shats you get from the mystery meat menudo washed down with a glass of Tijuana's finest tap water). I guess the only thing missing is to actually BE fast. And on a turbo car under 350hp, a good high-flow cat doesn't lose much to a straight pipe, while bringing the emissions down to near-stock levels. But I guess its always been "cool" not to give a f*ck.
see, this is why I told all my friends to come to fitfreak even the ones who doesn't have a fit, this place is just too awesome. On one hand, we have the die hard racers trying to squeeze out every last hp there is to squeeze, and then on the other, we have these tree huggers...quite a nice mix I must say.

I just want to say tho, in the world of exhaust mods, nothing feels quite like when you take the cat off. It's like a moment of truth, suddenly you realize this is how this car should've been in the first place. Together, we slowly skips into the sunset...

Old 02-21-2008, 03:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by diedwater
see, this is why I told all my friends to come to fitfreak even the ones who doesn't have a fit, this place is just too awesome. On one hand, we have the die hard racers trying to squeeze out every last hp there is to squeeze, and then on the other, we have these tree huggers...quite a nice mix I must say.

I just want to say tho, in the world of exhaust mods, nothing feels quite like when you take the cat off. It's like a moment of truth, suddenly you realize this is how this car should've been in the first place. Together, we slowly skips into the sunset...
o.O

Your car has like 85hp at the front wheels and is driven mostly by old people... Its good on gas and handles well, but its definitely not fast. There's no appreciable benefit to taking off the cat, anyway. Most people just do it to show off, but if they really do race then swap it out for the track. Smoggy sunsets and drowned polar bears suck.

And who's a treehugger? Only thing I do with trees is smoke 'em.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:28 AM
5 Year Member
o.O

Your car has like 85hp at the front wheels and is driven mostly by old people... Its good on gas and handles well, but its definitely not fast. There's no appreciable benefit to taking off the cat, anyway. Most people just do it to show off, but if they really do race then swap it out for the track. Smoggy sunsets and drowned polar bears suck.

And who's a treehugger? Only thing I do with trees is smoke 'em.
see, thats just goes to show that you don't have the same mindset that I do, I'm sure there is something that you are passionate about, and enjoy doing every chance you get, to me, that sometime is going fast in my car.

I don't know if you are familiar withe the concept of overclocking, in real life, you really can't tell the difference of couple mhz increase, but the point of this very hobby is to squeeze out as much mhz as you can, and the same thing applies to the fit as well, because we don't have much to start with, that makes every bit count.

plus, to me, personally, horsepower are worth every penny.

I know where you came from, but with currently available technology, fire and water can't be together peacefully. It's really no point trying to argue about who s right, or who s wrong, I'm simply trying to show you the way I think, and hoping that maybe you will understand things better on a different point of view, simply trying to tell me what you think is right, isn't going to accomplish anything.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by diedwater
see, thats just goes to show that you don't have the same mindset that I do, I'm sure there is something that you are passionate about, and enjoy doing every chance you get, to me, that sometime is going fast in my car.

I don't know if you are familiar withe the concept of overclocking, in real life, you really can't tell the difference of couple mhz increase, but the point of this very hobby is to squeeze out as much mhz as you can, and the same thing applies to the fit as well, because we don't have much to start with, that makes every bit count.

plus, to me, personally, horsepower are worth every penny.

I know where you came from, but with currently available technology, fire and water can't be together peacefully. It's really no point trying to argue about who s right, or who s wrong, I'm simply trying to show you the way I think, and hoping that maybe you will understand things better on a different point of view, simply trying to tell me what you think is right, isn't going to accomplish anything.
I'm saying do what you want, but when you do it at someone else's expense you're being selfish and immature. You're doing something that has a detrimental impact on multiple facets of my reality on this earth with NO benefit to you other than to make your e-penis [type arrr] bigger on forums and at meets. The immediate effect of you stinking up a 50ft circle while you're driving gives me a headache, the intermediate effect of you adding a layer of heavy brown sh*t to my air makes it harder for me to breathe, and the long term effect of you dumping orders of magnitude more unburnt hydrocarbons and other nasty crap into the high atmosphere than what you should be makes all sorts of shitty things happen that will take a lot of time, money and ingenuity to undo, if its even reversible. All for something well within the limits of dyno error, and only because it enhances the image you try to portray to your homiez so you can get mad props, yo!

What's that word you guys use when someone acts like their slow car is fast?

Old 02-21-2008, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
I'm saying do what you want, but when you do it at someone else's expense you're being selfish and immature. You're doing something that has a detrimental impact on multiple facets of my reality on this earth with NO benefit to you other than to make your e-penis [type arrr] bigger on forums and at meets. The immediate effect of you stinking up a 50ft circle while you're driving gives me a headache, the intermediate effect of you adding a layer of heavy brown sh*t to my air makes it harder for me to breathe, and the long term effect of you dumping orders of magnitude more unburnt hydrocarbons and other nasty crap into the high atmosphere than what you should be makes all sorts of shitty things happen that will take a lot of time, money and ingenuity to undo, if its even reversible. All for something well within the limits of dyno error, and only because it enhances the image you try to portray to your homiez so you can get mad props, yo!

What's that word you guys use when someone acts like their slow car is fast?
who isn't selfish, and immature? go back and read your own words, can you say those are words out of a mature person's mouth? Sure I'm doing bad things to the environment, because I am a selfish person, but what about you? just because you still have your cat on, that means you are 100% green? Why not walk? I like car, because I like to go fast, a speed that I simply couldn't reach on my own, but I'm poor, too. So I can only buy what I can afford, and within my power, I try to make it as fast as I can. I admit, I am selfish, I am a sinner, but who isn't? Living in this very society, everything consumes the earth resource. It's hard to live without being selfish. After all, I'm just an average joe who works his ass off just to barely gets by. And there's only two things I do, one is making music, the other is to go fast in a car. Can you blame me for simply trying to enjoy my life?

You kept saying that there isn't a difference with or without cat, but how do you know? ( don't want to be too off topic..... but it really doesn't matter what your answer is at this point )

Last edited by diedwater; 02-21-2008 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:06 AM
5 Year Member
How thick are the midpipes you have? And anyone know how thick the stock pipe has? I read somewhere that the Apexi has 2.25" midpipe. I am thinking of custom made a catback midpipe. Fill me in.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:18 AM
5 Year Member
most midpipes for the fit is 2.25" which is about 50mm which is a very good size for the fit. I wouldn't go any bigger, at least until you are boosted, you want to keep some back pressure, or you will lose torque.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:34 PM
Wink

Just an FYI....my car with all my mods n' a stripped rear pulls nasty on most stock vechiles on the freeway/highway. Most people run up behind me in the fast lane....... down shift n' gone 2 120MPH....SUV's, Pickups and most stock cars.
All exhaust piping for the Fit is 50MM / 57MM / 60MM. hope this helps..

tonyd3773 (Video Guru)

Old 02-22-2008, 06:30 PM
5 Year Member
How about the stock one? I am too lazy to crawl down there to measure

Old 03-08-2008, 10:26 AM
5 Year Member
The stock midpipe is probably about 1.667" DIA, if it's the same size as the inlet pipe to the stock muffler. Pretty tiny.

I'm looking at doing my own muffler upgrade, hoping I can keep it as light as the stock muff. Ditching the resonater in the OEM midpipe is part of the plan - hopefully I can come up with a straight mid-pipe and muffler that weigh about the same as the stock parts but with the ability to flow enough to support a little more HP. The Dynomax web site has their ecatalog set up to show how much airflow and HP each of their Super Turbo mufflers will support before it starts to be a restriction. With a 2" pipe and muffler, I can support about 125hp before the muffler starts holding things back. Going to 2.25" increases capacity to between 140 and 185hp, but the system weighs more. I think until I sort out a SC, I'll stick with the smaller pipe/muff. I think I can get all that done for about $100 if I weld everything up myself.

HF

Old 04-12-2008, 10:46 AM
5 Year Member
meh i hate cats. such lazy creatures