Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

$40 Homemade Short Ram Intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 04:29 PM
Went to Autozone and installed it yesterday. Already had the K&N filter and the 3-2.5" adapter, so it cost me very little.

Drilled the hole for the sensor with a stepped drill bit and it came out nice and clean for the original grommet.

[IMG] [/IMG]

Old 04-13-2008, 04:43 PM

Old 04-13-2008, 06:31 PM
5 Year Member
clean install!!!

Old 04-13-2008, 10:35 PM
5 Year Member
Pvc

Is that little filter the breather cap for the PVC? Isn't having suction on the PVC a good thing for the engine ring seal and whatever else?

I need to study the intake system on this car to see what all these little parts are doing.

This is a neat thread and thanks to all for sharing. It'll keep the costs down for the rest of us.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:06 AM
Banned
That is not part of the PVC system it's just a simple breather port.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:41 AM
Originally Posted by flyellow
clean install!!!

Thanks!

It was one of those rare projects that went well without any hassles.

I have to say, however, that I drove around quite a bit today and I do notice that throttle response is not quite as good as it was with my H-Fit SSI chamber intake. Nothing major, but low rpm torque seems a bit down and throttle response is not as quick or linear as with the SSI.

Exhaust tone through my Megan axleback is different also. Kind of hard to describe, but it's somewhat louder and higher pitched than with the SSI. Sounds good though, just different.

I took the SSI off because I want to paint it and I installed the Autozone shorty so I could still drive my Fit until I get the SSI painted.

I'm going to keep the shorty on there for a while because I want to get a better impression of how it performs and because I got about a million things to do before I can paint the SSI chamber.

All in all, I like the short ram, but I prefer how the H-Fit SSI performs and sounds.

ez

Old 04-14-2008, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

It is great to see this direction catching on!
I just can't justify spending $300-400 on an chambered intake to gain a fraction of a horsepower (OK, 4-5 at best, but still!).

Mayor props to Claymore for the fabrication and craftsmanship! I love when people take it into their own hands and make parts instead of just buying parts and bolting them on. That is only 1/3 of the fun! It is also rare for people to pull things off cleanly even when they do fabricate something. Claymore, your effort is exceptional!

Ivan

Old 04-14-2008, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
I hacked up my old element intake from K&N since no one was interested in buying it. It looks great on the Fit and the best part is it still has the CARB tag and I have the sticker so i don't have to worry about cops.

Old 04-20-2008, 04:07 PM
5 Year Member
wow i just looked all over town and couldnt find any bends or couplers. where are yall gettin this stuff? seems like a few years ago it was in every store i walked into. i found that spectre crap at autozone and oreillys but its expensive as hell and looks like plastic. the k&n filter was $42 alone so i dont see how yall are doin this for so cheap either. if anyone knows where to get the bends and couplers let me know, i would prefer 2.5".

Old 04-20-2008, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
I've seen the stuff at Autosone, nowhere else. The 2.5/3" - 3" coupling is, for me, $6.99 or about that. I've seen the K&N filter for $20 there too. The 90* bend should be about $10.

Old 04-20-2008, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
yeah thats the spectre stuff though. who sell intercooler piping pieces? thats the kind of tubing im looking for. i use to see it everywhere when fast and furious came out now i cant find it anywhere.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member
The Spectre stuff is what I used. It is plastic with a chrome coat. Also, the filter is from Spectre as well. That is how to keep the price at or around $40.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:16 PM
5 Year Member
i think im just gonna get a couple of mandrel bends for intercooler piping and some silicone couplers. it will cost a little more but i think it will be a little nicer. i was hoping i could get it locally but i think im gonna have to order it.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:49 PM
yea man i used the spectre stuff it's plastic but it works

Old 04-21-2008, 02:07 AM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Ive got a cone filter from a wrx intake kit and a coupler so im going to hit up pep boys tmrw and see what i can find.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:52 PM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
I am now officially calling this the SSR Intake!

That stands for the Sid Short Ram Intake.

How about we make this a sticky, mods?

Old 04-21-2008, 01:53 PM
RDS
I want to lick your engine in all its awesome-y cleanliness.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:52 AM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
I got all of the parts ready i just got to drill the hole for the sensor and ill be good to go.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:30 AM
Ok, not to rain on anyone's parade but now that I've driven with two versions of the Autozone intake versus my H-Fit chamber intake I have some additional observations.

Using my Scangauge, with the shorty Autozone using only the 90 degree elbow the intake temperature does not go down as you drive, in fact, it increases. The shorty intake looks very sexy, but it puts the filter in a very hot zone.

I then added a 60 degree elbow, which placed the filter right in front of the battery. This position was *much* better in terms of intake temps. Intake temps with this setup would drop pretty much to ambient or just above ambient as I drove. Both the shorty and the extended shorty produced a highway drone that bugged me.

After driving around with both versions of these intakes for 2-3 days, I reinstalled my H-Fit chamber. The difference in throttle response and low rpm power was noticeable and significant. The H-Fit intake isn't very sexy at all, but it performs way better than a short or semi-short ram.

Again, I'm not hatin' on the DIY Autozone intakes, just making some observations.

After my experimenting, I think chamber intakes are the way to go. They cost more, but the difference in performance justifies the cost.

ez

Old 04-22-2008, 02:44 AM
Banned
Like I have posted before from my thermometer under the hood tests that spot without the extra bend is one of the HOTTEST spots under the hood. Adding the extra parts to move the filter over by the hole in the fender will make a big difference in LOWER Intake Air Temperatures.

Quick Reply: $40 Homemade Short Ram Intake