Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

New intake coming soon...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
DARN IT! Too late to jump on this one! Grrrrr

Old 06-24-2008, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member
Ok so slight change of plans, tomorrow he is just going look at the engine bay and figure some stuff out. I'll keep everyone updated don't worry.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SpokanejdmGD3
No you're right I can't see with just my eyes but in terms of surface area......that can be seen by the naked eye and the fact that the filter is encased in that tiny cylinder greatly reduces the filter surface area. With that design the intake is only taking in air from a focused location rather than all around.

You might as well get rid of the filter portion all together and just put an in line cotton screen filter because with that design it is basically doing the same thing.

I definitely would like to see dyno testing cause I am very skeptical but I am also completely open to eating crow if I am wrong.
while the O.D. is infact smaller then most conventional i believe the total surface area is about the same. it is small in dia but very long in length. Like the basic newton law things do not like to change direction, and i think, THINK this may help keep velocities up by allowing the air flow to move into the intake track without having to change direction around a velocity stack or wide filer, however keeping the same "usable" filter area. Maybe it also works on a type of venturi principle IDK. Only the engineers can say for sure

I could be talking completely out my a$$ but i think that may be the idea. I think the obvious statement of it being small, would not be such a problem as if were that obvious would they have designed it like that?

Im no aero physicist so i cant shed too much light on the design

Old 06-26-2008, 01:37 AM
Originally Posted by LiL Wee FIT
DARN IT! Too late to jump on this one! Grrrrr
ya, I know.. I posted here first but I didn't PM OP at the time ... oh well...

Old 06-26-2008, 02:42 AM
5 Year Member
looks cool. i would imagine cleaning the filter is a bit of a work.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:22 AM
5 Year Member
SHG-Mike:

I didn't take the idea that it would help keep the velocity up. That is an interesting perspective actually. Where this intake might really make good power is down low.

Here is my reason for thinking this now that you brought that up. Short ram intakes generally are larger diameter shorter length and create more torque than CAI conterparts that are generally smaller diameter longer tube.

This intake however is the length of a CAI, mainly due to the length of the filter, but the small long long small diameter nature of the intake filter could possibly cause the same airflow characteristics of the short ram intake due to having a longer distance for the filter to be creating the vortex that is generated by the engine vaccume. Thus creating more dense air at a higher velocity.

I really didn't think about it in that way prior to your last post but after that I started thinking and it does make some sense how it would be beneficial now. I still would like to see power output to see what it does. My only other concern would be heatsoke since the filter is encased in that shell. The way the Fit's engine bay is designed it does not disapate heat efficiently what so ever so whatever their design concept turns out to be I really would hope it would be placing the filter element outside engine bay to help keep engine heat away from the filter.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:30 PM
SBT
I had a PRM on my S2000 and LOVED it!

Old 06-26-2008, 05:59 PM
the first time i looked at this thread i though it looked ridiculous but now that i look at it i really like the design. subscribed.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:30 PM
JET STREAM FILTER CLEANING INSTRUCTIONS
Purchase a K&N Filter Cleaner Kit with the filter oil in Aerosol (spray) can.
Step 1. - Tip filter upside down and tap the butt end of filter with the handle of a screw driver. Keep taping until dirt stops falling out.
Step 2. - Spray filter cleaner (soap) into inlet of filter, inlet is the same side the sticker is on, through the 3" rubber flange.
Step 3. - Spray filter completely with soap and let it soak for 1 minute.
Step 4. - Run water (use garden hose or sink) through back end of filter (opposite of air flow) and flush out the soap and dirt.
Step 5. - Repeat steps 2,3 and 4.
Step 6. - Let filter dry naturally (do not use a blow dryer) this may take 10-12 hours, it's best to wash filter and night, so it will be dry in the morning.
Step 7. - Make sure filter is totally dry before oiling. Filter should appear white.
Step 8. - Spray oil through inlet until filter is totally covered in oil, do not excessively oil filter. Do a light spraying and let filter sit for 1 minute. The oil will travel and soak its way through the cotton gauze, if the filter is not totally red in color spray it some more oil and let it set for 1 minutes. ( Filter should appear red in color)
Filter should be cleaned every 6 months to a year.
Originally Posted by I<3GD3
looks cool. i would imagine cleaning the filter is a bit of a work.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member
any new updates on this???

Old 06-29-2008, 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by jezzy's jazz
any new updates on this???
Gerry from PRM emailed me two days ago saying it will be about two weeks till he has a test piece completed...to the guy that went to the shop tho,howd everything go?

Old 06-29-2008, 07:03 PM
5 Year Member
It went well, not much to say right now, I'll put pics up when I get it don't worry.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:16 PM
I recently had an intake designed for my 2007 Civic by Gerry & PRM and he told me about some fits interested in an intake (and resulting in me posting here).

It did take awhile for everything to be complete, but it's very damn worth it.
No dyno yet, though - but I do notice more power in the high end.

Pictures of the completed intake: Project Updates: Intake @ http://simplify.ws/

Old 07-09-2008, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
interesting intake. design looks neat. will this be a cai or short ram? interested if its cai.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:33 PM
It's kinda a hybrid. The filter is in the middle, but there is a downpipe that reaches the fog light area. It's a CAI though. I've driven through two huge storms (with at least 10-15cm of water on the ground), and I've had no problems yet.

Last edited by mmmken; 07-09-2008 at 09:37 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member
I talked to Gerry (PRM) today actually and he said he is waiting on his pipe benders, but he should have more of an update in about a week.

Just some info for you guys. The design we came up with will be kind of like a short ram with the filter sitting in front of the battery and the filter opening placed at the same spot the the stock air box draws air from which is from the fender well just behind the head light.

If you have any questions just ask and I'll do my best to answer. I'll post pics and a review as soon as possible, which I expect to be about 1.5 to 2 weeks.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:57 AM
Thumbs up

for updates

Old 07-10-2008, 08:20 AM
5 Year Member
keep us posted...

Old 07-10-2008, 09:18 AM
5 Year Member
keep everyone updates..
any new news??

Old 07-10-2008, 11:28 AM
Retired Moderator
Thanks for the updates and keep them coming, im definetly intrested.

Tyler

Quick Reply: New intake coming soon...