Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

PRM Racing Intake - Review+Pics+Video

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 05:55 PM
I'll trade my Last Station for one. I paid over $300 ;/

Old 10-09-2008, 06:20 PM
New pics original post!

Old 10-09-2008, 06:27 PM
FALCON PUNCH!!
5 Year Member
I was on the fence about the look of the intake at first, but it's growing on me now You still using the same camera rig as Lollicup? Seems sturdy enough to me LOL!

+rep buddy, sounds mean

+++++EDIT+++++

Fawk, I already repped you... my bad, DOH!

Last edited by avocado123; 10-09-2008 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:15 PM
Banned
Got mine today, and I think that the blue color silicone reducer and throttle body elbow really add a nice touch to the whole system. This intake is really well thought out, with nothing in it that is not necessary. The filter is enclosed, so no "heat shield" is necessary (the heat shields supplied in other systems are kind of a joke anyway), and water coming in under the hood will not affect the filter which is the case in all Short Ram systems. No time today for a test ride but I will add to this post after the test drive.

This system replaces the K&N SRI that I have owned and hated for almost two years. This design beats every other intake system that I have seen, and it is beautiful because of its simplicity.

Last edited by manxman; 10-09-2008 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:25 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Pepperinyoureye
New pics original post!
Pepper-
In my installation, I rotated the "hooked" part of the support bracket to the left, and attached it on the band clamp that goes around the small end of the silicone reducer. The bracket seems to line up better (to my eye) with the second clamp inboard, even though Gerry's drawing seems to indicate that you should use the outboard, large band clamp.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:33 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by trancedsailor
I'll trade my Last Station for one. I paid over $300 ;/
I'll bet that no one will take you up on your nice offer. No offense intended, but if you used shoes as an analogy, the PRM system would be like a nice pair of high end Nike's, and your big red Last Station would be like what Ronald MacDonald wears.

Again, that's my impression, and it's not meant to put either you or your intake system down.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manxman
Got mine today.....
This system replaces the K&N SRI that I have owned and hated for almost two years. This design beats every other intake system that I have seen, and it is beautiful because of its simplicity.
I got mine today too. The box is light! That caught me off guard. Glad to hear that you finally have a replacement for your K&N SRI.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:51 PM
5 Year Member
i just got my car back from the bodyshop and the first thing i did was put the PRM intake on lol I'm sure i got the bracket on wrong too Also i ran into a problem because where the filter sits is where my Viper siren sits lol so i had to rig it somewhere else till i got more time and light to see what I'm doing. Also was there a bolt in the packaging? That connects the bracket to the factory airbox. I wasnt sure if i was supposed to use my factory bolt or not and i couldnt have because i had a Injen CAI which didnt use a bolt there. Whatever down to the review

Review
THIS INTAKE IS VICIOUS! lol Compared to my Injen i really like this intake more because of the airflow design. On low RPMS i didnt hear much but punching it is another story. I have a catback and on high rpms i can hear the intake roaring out. Throttle response is good to since its a SRI. When i get my bracket fixed and alarm siren i'll take pix and post it on this thread.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:34 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Gotenkz00
i just got my car back from the bodyshop and the first thing i did was put the PRM intake on lol I'm sure i got the bracket on wrong too Also i ran into a problem because where the filter sits is where my Viper siren sits lol so i had to rig it somewhere else till i got more time and light to see what I'm doing. Also was there a bolt in the packaging? That connects the bracket to the factory airbox. I wasnt sure if i was supposed to use my factory bolt or not and i couldnt have because i had a Injen CAI which didnt use a bolt there. Whatever down to the review

Review
THIS INTAKE IS VICIOUS! lol Compared to my Injen i really like this intake more because of the airflow design. On low RPMS i didnt hear much but punching it is another story. I have a catback and on high rpms i can hear the intake roaring out. Throttle response is good to since its a SRI. When i get my bracket fixed and alarm siren i'll take pix and post it on this thread.
I used the factory bolt from the original airbox, and I also used the rubber bushing from the factory airbox underneath the PRM bracket as a flexible spacer. With the rubber bushing under the bracket, the hook winds up dead center next to the intake tube and the band clamp goes inside the hook. I think that that's what Gerry had in mind, but he just didn't say so in the instruction sheet.

Last edited by manxman; 10-10-2008 at 01:38 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:28 AM
Koi
5 Year Member
Is there anyone who bought this intake who was running a different SRI like the Fujita or the DIY sid sri? I'd love to hear a comparison and see if people can feel a difference in the performances.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:34 AM
5 Year Member
I had the Injen CAI which can also be a SRI by removing the silicone house. Thats how i had it set up before putting the PRM intake in (didnt feel like removing the bumper lmao) so i took a short cut. I'm pretty sure the Injen SRI gains/sounds are the same as the Fujita and DIY.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:59 AM
5 Year Member
Would that location near the fender be problematic with water? I guess I'm asking that beacuse of its angle.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:02 AM
5 Year Member
Never mind, just read what ManxMan said about the design vs. water. This sounds almost too good to be true!

Old 10-10-2008, 11:05 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by honda2112
Would that location near the fender be problematic with water? I guess I'm asking that beacuse of its angle.
The PRM is the ONLY intake that has absolutely no risks from water, unless of course you submerge the driver side fender up to the hood in deep water. The inlet of the intake is lower than the throttle body, and is positioned 90 degrees away from any rainwater coming in from the leading edge of the hood.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:07 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by honda2112
Never mind, just read what ManxMan said about the design vs. water. This sounds almost too good to be true!
Like I said, this is beautiful in its simplicity. Functional elegance.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:34 PM
Had one of those on my 01 S2000. It sounded great!
Notice any gains in mpg's or hp?

Old 10-10-2008, 06:02 PM
deff noticeable in the lower rpms

Old 10-12-2008, 03:15 PM
Banned
I decided to post a couple of pics- the blue silicone system looks good to me. Unlike any of the SRI's that I have seen, this gives you more, and easier, access to the AT dipstick, and to the radiator reservoir. At WOT, the sound is a deeper "grunt" from the engine compared to the K&N SRI, and the pull in second gear feels stronger compared to the SRI to me.

Also, I changed the support bracket hook to the farthest outboard band clamp- that seemed a more logical place to prevent rattling and vibration.

Last edited by manxman; 10-12-2008 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:20 PM
Thanx for posting pics of the blue silicone Manxman!! That is what I'm gonna go with I think.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:35 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
what if you extended the hosing to run under the bumper and put the filter in place of the drivers side fog light so you would be getting the ram air effect. would there be any significant gains to that? it would then be a true cai then.

Quick Reply: PRM Racing Intake - Review+Pics+Video