Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

PRM Racing Intake - Review+Pics+Video

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 04:47 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by kylerwho
what if you extended the hosing to run under the bumper and put the filter in place of the drivers side fog light so you would be getting the ram air effect. would there be any significant gains to that? it would then be a true cai then.
It already IS a true CAI. If you ran it to the fog light hole, the filter would get soaked with rainwater and become restricted in air flow.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manxman
It already IS a true CAI. If you ran it to the fog light hole, the filter would get soaked with rainwater and become restricted in air flow.
So you also consider the stock air box to be a CAI?

Old 10-12-2008, 05:44 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by TurboManGT
Thanx for posting pics of the blue silicone Manxman!! That is what I'm gonna go with I think.
You're welcome. In a blue, black, or silver Fit, the blue system would look great, but so would the red system in a black or silver car. The black intake would go well with any color car, and I didn't know for sure if I would like it in my BOM, but I do.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:45 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by sterVin
So you also consider the stock air box to be a CAI?
In fact, it is, just one that restricts air flow more than after-market intakes. All incoming air comes from outside the engine bay, therefor it is a CAI. Even though it is made of thin plastic that can absorb heat, the air moves through it too fast to pick up any heat.

Last edited by manxman; 10-12-2008 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:54 PM
5 Year Member
In fact, it is, just one that restricts air flow more than after-market intakes.
Just making sure. The filter setup would be one of the easiest to convert into a CAI. No room for the filter at the end? Doesn't matter, the filter is inline with the tube. Anyone who would put the filter at the bottom of the CAI doesn't notice the true awesomeness of the filter design. Like this one, but longer lower tube.

Oh, and I don't think you have enough underlined words in your recent posts. In fact, you should just underline everything, seeing as most of the words you underlined don't help emphasis at all.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:12 PM
Banned
Just making sure. The filter setup would be one of the easiest to convert into a CAI. No room for the filter at the end? Doesn't matter, the filter is inline with the tube. Anyone who would put the filter at the bottom of the CAI doesn't notice the true awesomeness of the filter design. Like this one, but longer lower tube.

Oh, and I don't think you have enough underlined words in your recent posts. In fact, you should just underline everything, seeing as most of the words you underlined don't help emphasis at all.
Any CAI that gets its air from an empty fog light hole on a fit has a severe risk of causing hydro-lock.

There you go- whole thing underlined. Just for you.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:17 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
i dont understand why people get so irritable on the forums. everyone has a right to their opinion even if it is wrong. doesnt aem make some kind of inline filter to deter hydro lock? i always figured if the filter was far enough away from the port of entry that water would not affect it. am i wrong?

Old 10-12-2008, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member
Any CAI that gets its air from an empty fog light hole on a fit has a severe risk of causing hydro-lock.

There you go- whole thing underlined. Just for you.
Awesome, thanks.

Kylerwho asked if it could be done and if it would be worth it, not how much water he would suck up when he decided to treat his fit like a submarine.

Yes, AEM makes a foam thing that mounts inline to prevent/deter hydro lock.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:34 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
Awesome, thanks.

Kylerwho asked if it could be done and if it would be worth it, not how much water he would suck up when he decided to treat his fit like a submarine.

yes i hired Q to help me make a fit submarine so i can get better mpg than bond in his dumb lotus underwater.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:53 PM
Koi
5 Year Member
Quick question:

how do you clean this filter?

Secondary question:

Does this fit the AT correctly?

Last edited by Koi; 10-12-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by Koi
Quick question:

how do you clean this filter?

Secondary question:

Does this fit the AT correctly?
I think it does fit AT but I would ask Gerry at PRM, there are instructions about cleaning the filter on PRM's website as well as with the packaging of the intake. its real easy

Old 10-12-2008, 10:27 PM
Koi
5 Year Member
Thanks. I'll check the website.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:28 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Pepperinyoureye
I think it does fit AT but I would ask Gerry at PRM, there are instructions about cleaning the filter on PRM's website as well as with the packaging of the intake. its real easy
It fits my AT fine- better than any short ram or CAI because there is nothing in the way of the AT dip stick or access to the radiator reservoir.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:48 PM
Koi
5 Year Member
In your opinion Manxman, do you think this PRM intake is worth it over other SRI available for the Fit (fujita, diy, etc) - other than just for aesthetics and sound?

Old 10-13-2008, 12:07 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Koi
In your opinion Manxman, do you think this PRM intake is worth it over other SRI available for the Fit (fujita, diy, etc) - other than just for aesthetics and sound?
Yes I do, and I have explained why in all of my posts on this thread, as well as the first PRM thread. I have given my K&N Typhoon SRI away. The filters of all of the other SRI's are exposed to heat from the engine and radiator, and all of them are exposed to water when driving at highway speeds in the rain. This intake is not.

Last edited by manxman; 10-13-2008 at 12:09 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:15 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Ooooh this intake is out for the fit. It looks good! I've seen the Cobb intake for the 2.5RS Impreza ~6 years ago (same design), and I thought it was one of the most intriguing designs ever. Very compact, subtle, and so easy to route to a cold air source. Thumbs up!

Old 10-13-2008, 02:12 AM
Banned
Awesome, thanks.

This "wisdom" from the same person who advised a FF member complaining about rough idle and engine miss to "check your distributor cap, plug wires and MAF sensor" that GD3's do not have.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:21 AM
Ordered mine today. How long did you guys have to wait for this to arrive?

Old 10-13-2008, 09:34 AM
5 Year Member
This "wisdom" from the same person who advised a FF member complaining about rough idle and engine miss to "check your distributor cap, plug wires and MAF sensor" that GD3's do not have.
I'm not even going to write an educated reply to this because it feels too much like I am trolling a troll.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by FitSam
Ordered mine today. How long did you guys have to wait for this to arrive?
from canada to florida it took exactly one week for me

Quick Reply: PRM Racing Intake - Review+Pics+Video