Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

NIGHTHAWKSI's custom turbo build progress thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 10:22 PM
5 Year Member
looking good so far. fyi pretty sure that turbo is off a saab 900 the 9000's came with t25's.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member
hm...interesting. could be off a 900, 9000t, or a chrysler 2.2liter....

Dune-Buggy.com - Turbocharger Information and Vehicle Reference

ive clocked the turbo to how i want the tubo housing in relation to the exhaust and center (sicne i cannot rotate the exhaust from teh center due to it being rusted together)...but i am concerned about the oil drain....i know its gravity driven and its not facing down...it is the drain that is just to the left of the wastegate. is it too far from being vertical?

Last edited by NIGHTHAWKSI; 12-10-2008 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:51 PM
5 Year Member
yo Ian make sure im there for the Epic Build...

Old 12-11-2008, 03:26 AM
Originally Posted by underdog
looking good so far. fyi pretty sure that turbo is off a saab 900 the 9000's came with t25's.
Im pretty sure the saab 9000 came with a T3 in the earlier model and switched to the T25 in the later.
NIGHTHAWKSI, you should really try to separate the exhaust housing from the center section so you can clock it properly. my first turbo literally took me over an hour of pounding with a hammer to finally separate, (im sure yours will too eventually... ) then i just used a file to clean up the surfaces and it was all good again.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by quangalang
Im pretty sure the saab 9000 came with a T3 in the earlier model and switched to the T25 in the later.
NIGHTHAWKSI, you should really try to separate the exhaust housing from the center section so you can clock it properly. my first turbo literally took me over an hour of pounding with a hammer to finally separate, (im sure yours will too eventually... ) then i just used a file to clean up the surfaces and it was all good again.
i think im goign to try using a blowtorch tonight to heat it up and seperate it.

and i also think i found an emanage ultimate for $220 shipped with main harness and pressure gauge . waiting to hear back from the seller....

Old 12-11-2008, 10:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by NIGHTHAWKSI
i think im goign to try using a blowtorch tonight to heat it up and seperate it.

and i also think i found an emanage ultimate for $220 shipped with main harness and pressure gauge . waiting to hear back from the seller....
is that the guy that you were talking about last night dude...

Old 12-11-2008, 10:39 AM
5 Year Member
^yea. i wish people would be faster to reply to PMs...oh well

Old 12-11-2008, 12:27 PM
5 Year Member
^yea. i wish people would be faster to reply to PMs...oh well
lol well i just bid on a WRRH hopefully i do get it... remember ill be driving your car after the turbo is done ( Deal!!!)

Old 12-11-2008, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by underdog
fyi pretty sure that turbo is off a saab 900 the 9000's came with t25's.
False,the .42/.48 T3 I was running on my Saturn was out of a Saab 9000.

great quick spooling turbo btw.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Pepperinyoureye
False,the .42/.48 T3 I was running on my Saturn was out of a Saab 9000.

great quick spooling turbo btw.

hmm ok I may be wrong.

as for the turbo drain. 15 degree's is the max. it will kill a turbine seal if you leave it the way it is now.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:17 AM
5 Year Member
^then it looks like ill definatly be having to break the center loose from the exhaust to clock it correctly....

Old 12-12-2008, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
i was planning on finding a used emanage ultimate for this kit...especially since i found one for $220 shipped with the wiring harness and pressure sensor...but it was bought out from under me and all teh other ones i can find are $500+ with a plug and play harness for a different car that is useless to em and the seller wont seperate.

but i did find a emanage blue with wiring harness for $150 shipped, so i opted for that. i know its against what some peopel advised for an EMS, but as demonstrated with the original T1R kit, it will work for what i need. if im not able to squeeze every last hp out, not a problem, i can always upgrade later.

Old 12-13-2008, 06:34 PM
i was planning on finding a used emanage ultimate for this kit...especially since i found one for $220 shipped with the wiring harness and pressure sensor...but it was bought out from under me and all teh other ones i can find are $500+ with a plug and play harness for a different car that is useless to em and the seller wont seperate.

but i did find a emanage blue with wiring harness for $150 shipped, so i opted for that. i know its against what some peopel advised for an EMS, but as demonstrated with the original T1R kit, it will work for what i need. if im not able to squeeze every last hp out, not a problem, i can always upgrade later.
thats probably the worst 150 bucks you've spent on the project so far...
Why do you think they got more power when they switched to the ultimate?(really think about it!) It's not about squeezing the last HP out of the engine but doing it reliably.. The Ultimate let the engine run more healthily, thus freeing up more power.don't think of EMS as a power adder.

Old 12-13-2008, 07:15 PM
The problem with the emanage blue is that you can't directly control fueling. You can only ADD up to 20%. That's it. The rest of the adjustments have to be made by scaling the MAP sensor. This'll give you a really funky timing curve which you'll have to tune out with the timing map. That's assuming it adjusts timing correctly, I was reading something that indicated it didn't/couldnt repeatably adjust the timing. I'll see if I can find that page.

Also, adjusting the airflow map increases the possibility of your computer learning over your tune and making it obsolete.

I know when I had my Emanage Ultimate set up to use the airflow adjustment map (emanage blue style), it idled so stupid rich it turned my Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil into sludge in less than 1500 miles. The stock computer just can't output a small enough pulse, no matter what MAP input you gave it.

Hopefully you'll have better luck with the blue...

Old 12-15-2008, 10:10 AM
5 Year Member
hm...sounds worse than i thought. i thought the ultimate was used to free up more power...oh well.
ill see what i can do with this, if its not good, ill sell it. not a big deal, only $150 that i can probably resell for what i paid if not more.
however, werent there a few people that were using the emanage blue with the t1r kit? and didnt aj racing sell it with the blue? even the aj racing fit was using it...and they didnt upgrade to ultimate. im sure there is a way to get it to work better than your describing, but if its not worth the trouble, ill just get the ultimate.

Last edited by NIGHTHAWKSI; 12-15-2008 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:10 AM
Take Two of Me & Don't Call in the Morning
5 Year Member
Sub

Scribed!!

I can't wait to see how this turns out!

Old 12-16-2008, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member
does anyone know what type of OBD the ECU is? either obd2a or odb2b?

im looking into getting a extension harness so that i dont have to splice into factory wiring and make the emanage plug and play.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:41 PM
Pretty sure it's gonna be OBD 2b. OBD2a was the first revision, if I recall correctly.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by explosivpotato
Pretty sure it's gonna be OBD 2b. OBD2a was the first revision, if I recall correctly.
Incorrect. obd2b is 99-00 civic, and 00-01 integra only. as far as im aware, there currently is no available extension harness for the fit. i've been talking with the guys at www.vtecfrog.com, OBD conversion harness, V-AFC harness about marketing a extension harness. they said they have done a few for hasport, but they would get back to me with a price and availability. been a few weeks since they last responded to me.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:06 PM
Hmm, my bad. What's the version number they're on now then?

Quick Reply: NIGHTHAWKSI's custom turbo build progress thread