Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Oscar Jackson Sr. on Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 09:06 PM
Former Vendor
Oscar Jackson Sr. on Spark Plugs

Auto manufacturers have to make sacrifices for the sake of emissions or mass appeal when building engines. When it comes to Honda’s L15, compromises were made with its spark plugs.

Read more about how high-performance spark plugs can increase the performance of your Fit at the link below!

KraftWerks: OSCAR JACKSON ON SPARK PLUGS

-Oscar Jr.

Last edited by OJRKraftWerks; 06-29-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:22 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
awesome! listen to the man!

Old 06-29-2009, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
the problem I am having is that all the local auto parts stores dont show the pn for ik22's. even when I give them denso's pn they cant get them.

if anyone knows where some are in stock.please let me know!

Old 06-29-2009, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member
NM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I see yall are selling them! ill be making a order!

Old 06-29-2009, 09:51 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Jesse
the problem I am having is that all the local auto parts stores dont show the pn for ik22's. even when I give them denso's pn they cant get them.

if anyone knows where some are in stock.please let me know!
https://www.kraftwerksusa.com/produc...p?productId=61

-OJR

Edit: Doh, You beat me!

Old 06-29-2009, 10:16 PM
Unless these plugs increase power on a NA fit, how is this a compromise by Honda. Honda engineers didn't pick spark plugs with forced induction in mind.

Good info for FI people though!

Old 06-29-2009, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by OJRKraftWerks
Oscar, I just tried to order them on your website and the order form is not working properly. Couldn't do it.

Question 1 - is there a NGK equivalent you recommend?
Question 2 - do you sell them pre-gapped and what is the gap?

Thanks in advance.
S'Bus

Last edited by SpadinaBus; 06-29-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:22 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by stevet47
Unless these plugs increase power on a NA fit, how is this a compromise by Honda. Honda engineers didn't pick spark plugs with forced induction in mind.

+1, i agree. no problems with detonation for the stock motor.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:11 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
5 Year Member

They give about a 3% [~3hp] increase on an NA Fit. Cheap upgrade for both NA and FI Fits

Old 06-29-2009, 11:18 PM
5 Year Member

Actually, they did test it on an N/A Fit in front of serveral Fit owners at the Fit Meet they hosted. The stock plug baseline at 99WHP, and after the spark plug swap, it went up to 102WHP. Basically this is a relative cheap upgrade that will give you the same results as putting on an intake or exhaust.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by Wytt
Actually, they did test it on an N/A Fit in front of serveral Fit owners at the Fit Meet they hosted. The stock plug baseline at 99WHP, and after the spark plug swap, it went up to 102WHP. Basically this is a relative cheap upgrade that will give you the same results as putting on an intake or exhaust.
Awesome. Thanks for the info.
I saw on their site that it says increases power for both FI and NA fits, but it only showed a dyno for the FI. Good to know.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:04 AM
5 Year Member
Is the IK22 ok for use in an NA setup since it's a colder plug or were the NA tests done with the IK20 which is the Iridium OEM replacement? I'd assume you'd want to stick with the stock heat range plug in NA setups and the cooler plug is only needed when boosted.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:08 AM
I'm not boosted yet but I'll order a set soon thanks for the tip!

Old 06-30-2009, 12:10 AM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
I will be purchasing these from you guys soon! thanks for the info.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:56 AM
5 Year Member
Tag for future purchase.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator
I recently had to buy new plugs, realy wish I would have known about these guys.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:16 PM
Former Vendor

Honda must compromise emissions for performance. That is the compromise. You're right, it's not their job to pick forced induction friendly plugs. But we have tested these plugs on both NA and FI Fits and have seen gains in both. The largest gains will be seen in the boosted car, because spark quality becomes more important. But we tested the IK22s this past weekend at our Fit Meet on a NA Fit. We picked the highest NA HP Fit of the meet and installed them to see if we could improve upon even the best car, and we saw a 3% gain.

Oscar, I just tried to order them on your website and the order form is not working properly. Couldn't do it.

Question 1 - is there a NGK equivalent you recommend?
Question 2 - do you sell them pre-gapped and what is the gap?

Thanks in advance.
S'Bus
I ordered this morning through the site to check it, and it seemed to work properly. Make sure you put the quantity at 1 (or 2 or 10 ) in the quantity box. Or call us, and our sales staff can help you out.

Q1- The IK22 is a NGK heat range equivalent 7. I recommend the Denso IK22 spark plugs.
Q2- The Densos are unique because they come pre-gapped for high performance engines. They are gapped at .8mm (.032"). NGK for example requires you to gap them down from 1.1mm. No fuss with the Denso.

Is the IK22 ok for use in an NA setup since it's a colder plug or were the NA tests done with the IK20 which is the Iridium OEM replacement? I'd assume you'd want to stick with the stock heat range plug in NA setups and the cooler plug is only needed when boosted.
We only tested with the IK22 in the Fit. We don't carry the IK20 plugs and they would work fine in your car, but we have no data on performance gain. Stock heat range is made to perform in North Dakota cold and Phoenix hot, with high performance not being the top priority. For drivers that demand peak performance and drive their vehicles hard, the IK22 is the plug we recommend. Also, the IK22 spark plugs come with the tighter .8mm gap. The IK20 plugs have a 1.1mm gap standard.

-Oscar Jr.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
ojr when are we getting those dynos and pics up on the website?

Old 06-30-2009, 01:29 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by eldaino
ojr when are we getting those dynos and pics up on the website?
https://www.kraftwerksusa.com/produc...p?productId=61

-OJR

Old 06-30-2009, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by OJRKraftWerks

oh i saw that! i meant from the dyno day.

Quick Reply: Oscar Jackson Sr. on Spark Plugs