Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Weapon-r manifold = |

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 12:55 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bensenvill
unless your doing FI, your going to be doing yourself a huge disservice losing the little torque you have on hand to begin with. If the car is your daily driver, your going to take a huge hit to milage by needing the extra revving on the motor just to get up to speed. And even if you were dedicating it as a track or drag car, its hard to say if that extra hp at the top end will outweigh the loss of torque. I'm sure that others who have the part can weigh in on this, but look/ask about more than just the dyno sheet.

and if you are doing FI, even a low pressure system, I'd be very concerned about the durability of the unit. I went through a set of fluid tanks from them and I won't lie it was a huge amount of bling to have under the engine bay and I thought it was the most awesome thing to ever have. It took about a week to realize that they were exactly that: show parts.... show parts that weren't sturdy enough to get you to the grocery store and back. Less than 200 miles and the welds were already failing from the heat and pressure, all of them were already bulging. Eh, it turned out to be shitty welding, too thin of side walls and no baffling or structual support. I haven't heard anything bad about their headers so they've done something right but I will never trust them again with anything that if it failed, it would quickly take my engine with it. I say thumbs down to the manifold.
Booooo, I disagree with almost all of your points!!

Some background;

I am on my second year of using the manifold on a naturally aspirated car. I was actually the first car to test out the prototype on a long term basis, after working out the EGR issue with WR they put it into full production.

Right now I have to say that I couldn't be happier with mine, the version which I have now has been in for about a year and a bit and it has been very reliable and makes a big difference when paired up with a high flow exhuast.

I still enjoy awesome mileage with my Fit, I typically average 33mpg around the city and still over 40mpg on the highway. I credit a lot of it to having more torque in the lower RPMs, I really don't need to rev the hell out of it if I want to accelerate quickly in traffic or to merge. It serves as my daily driver and my grocery getter (seriously, my other vehicle is a Hummer... that thing tends to be worse on gas!)

By the way, I DO use mine for racing; I posted one point behind a Honda S200CR this year... third overall in points standings. Considering a S2000CR is a hard core race dedicated model that isn't half bad

I also use the WR intake system on my GD3 and one of the key things to note is that it is not a rigid connection; if the engine moves the intake system has enough flex that it will move as well. You have to remember that the engine does move when you accelerate or gear down, if you install a rigid intake system that has no flex you will put stress on the welds at the throttle body. Easy enough to work around though, just add in a flexible section to whatever intake system you use; same goes for turbo applications. Another solution of course is to use a torque damper and upgraded motor mounts.

As far as your other comments about the structural design of the manifold I call BS> I am a lead civil/structural/architectural designer for a major EPC firm and looking at the manifold they have put in stiffeners and proper welding throughout. Trust me, I would know; All I look at is welding connections and structural aspects of design all day long. (BTW, you spelled Structural wrong)

Anyway, I felt I had to stick up for WR in this case as somebody who has had a chance to try out most of their products on a long term basis. My car is more competitive than ever and it still works great as a reliable daily driver.

Cheers!

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 01-30-2010 at 12:59 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
Booooo, I disagree with almost all of your points!!

As far as your other comments about the structural design of the manifold I call BS> I am a lead civil/structural/architectural designer for a major EPC firm and looking at the manifold they have put in stiffeners and proper welding throughout. Trust me, I would know; All I look at is welding connections and structural aspects of design all day long. (BTW, you spelled Structural wrong)

Anyway, I felt I had to stick up for WR in this case as somebody who has had a chance to try out most of their products on a long term basis. My car is more competitive than ever and it still works great as a reliable daily driver.

Cheers!
Perhaps I didn't stress the point enough that I was discussing the structural integrity of a set of their coolant overflow tanks. And they were garbage for the exact reasons I stated; shitty welds, too thin of side walls, no baffling or structural support.

heres what I'm looking at: Weapon*R Racing Development

I'm sure even our non-engineer degreed members here can point out how this may fail under pressurized hot fluid.

but definitely glad to hear that you are having a good experience with their manifold.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:19 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
i had my manifold on for about a year and had zero problems with it.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bensenvill
Perhaps I didn't stress the point enough that I was discussing the structural integrity of a set of their coolant overflow tanks. And they were garbage for the exact reasons I stated; shitty welds, too thin of side walls, no baffling or structural support.

heres what I'm looking at: Weapon*R Racing Development

I'm sure even our non-engineer degreed members here can point out how this may fail under pressurized hot fluid.

but definitely glad to hear that you are having a good experience with their manifold.
Sorry if I come off a bit edgy, I was trying to catch up on like 15 threads in a very short amount of time... my posts tend to get pretty perscriptive when I do that, lol.

Back to the topic though; being that this a manifold thread, not a coolent tank thread I assumed you were applying a generalization against all of thier products. My appologies if you were directing it at a single product, although I havn't heard anything bad about the coolent tanks thus far.

Also the one for the fit... is the universal one which looks like this:
http://weapon-r.com/english/index.ph...oducts_id=5973

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 02-01-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member
LOOK AT WHAT I'VE STARTED =/ lol ............Weapon-r is the bomb!!!!!!!!! great stuff!!!

Old 02-01-2010, 06:47 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by im the fit
LOOK AT WHAT I'VE STARTED =/ lol ............Weapon-r is the bomb!!!!!!!!! great stuff!!!
made in china!

Old 02-01-2010, 06:48 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kelsodeez
i had my manifold on for about a year and had zero problems with it.
then I had it for a few months and had zero problems! now camfit has it and needs to install it!

Old 02-01-2010, 09:52 PM
5 Year Member
I love china!!!! Please make more parts!!!

Old 12-16-2010, 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by im the fit
I love china!!!! Please make more parts!!!
ur post really confused me

first u regret buying this WR intake
after repairment, u were full satisfied ...

reviewing this thread
i notice few people cracked their WR manifold
some says : easilly gets hot, the air on the intake gets hotter, loss torque on mid-low rpm

some said : greater effect... , had zero problems....

some said it needs torque damper

could it be just miss instalation ?

Old 12-17-2010, 11:30 AM
If the intake pipe is putting so much stress that it is tearing through the weld over time with vibration.. a few hump hose couplers would help alleviate the problem. However, I have only rarely seen damage like that on a N/A engine thats never had a nitrous backfire. Usually it was due to questionable manifold construction.

Also, a big square plenum, long runner manifold is the worst of both worlds.. Choke up top on the long runners, low velocity down low through the big plenum.

Ideally on a small displacement 4cyl that is looking to make better power overall, a tapered rounded plenum with intermediate length (5-9" depending on goals) stacks would be the way to go.

YouTube - dsm intake manifold simulation

Fluids don't like sharp corners.
YouTube - CFD simulation of vortex shedding

If you want a nice manifold for your Fit, call up ShearerFab, JMFab or DVDT. Respectively, Ron, Jim or Albert will get you something just as "blingy" that will actually benefit you in some tangible form. Just tell them what you plan to do with it.

Now if money was no option this is the route to go:

Or for the more serious track guys:

Also if your IMs are getting hot, and you can feel a drop in power with heat soak, look into getting a phenolic or teflon manifold gasket:

http://www.mirage-performance.com/te...ng-gasket.html

http://www.farwestcorrosion.com/ccp/flange/psi2.htm

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 12-17-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:32 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
my manifold finally cracked. i was looking over the design and there is one flaw i found. they overlapped the aluminum plates to form a butt weld rather than a corner to corner fillet. i have had my welds crack before because of this problem.

i just took mine into the shop and ground out the bad and rewelded the whole thing. it will never break again.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by kylerwho
my manifold finally cracked. i was looking over the design and there is one flaw i found. they overlapped the aluminum plates to form a butt weld rather than a corner to corner fillet. i have had my welds crack before because of this problem.

i just took mine into the shop and ground out the bad and rewelded the whole thing. it will never break again.

Are you boosted and/or spraying? Or was this another fatigue failure like the OP?

The flaw you found is further bolstering the case posed by others that these may not be top notch...

But with that said has your configuration seen any tangible benefit from the manifold? Everyones setup is different after all.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 12-17-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
in the end...this is a POS from over seas
it will gain...but where? 9000rpm ?
my experiences are
it looks like shit, it's not even straight....weld sucks..and it broke after couple months.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:08 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
mine was setup correctly. my air intake had braces so that there was no weight on it. (i work with metal fatigue alot)

i am running na and the gains felt like they were above 4500 but that could have also been because it was quite a bit louder as the rpm started climbing.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by Spooling
what can you expect from a Chinese product? Weapon R has factories in Guangzhou. Remember the old one where it didn't have EGR? it was built for the Asian Fit L15s.
the build quality I'd imagine is even worse since they need to chop up some stuff and "make it work" for the USDM Fit in a short amount of time.

go K20. K20 has a ton of choices with American homeland engineering put into it. the stuff you can rely on.
Honda Fit parts 90% are from Asia. it's just not the same.
american homeland engineering?

like a mustank with an f150 suspension?

unless its a DoD product (ie f22, la class attack sub) american economics rules over engineering

look at ALL your products in your house

my "american engineered" xbox is made in china
my "japanese engineered" ps3 also made in china

only the chinese food i eat isn't made in china lol

Last edited by THEproFIT; 03-26-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by THEproFIT
american homeland engineering?

like a mustank with an f150 suspension?

unless its a DoD product (ie f22, la class attack sub) american economics rules over engineering

look at ALL your products in your house

my "american engineered" xbox is made in china
my "japanese engineered" ps3 also made in china

only the chinese food i eat isn't made in china lol

Yes. American engineering. Not reverse engineered, patent violated, lead painted BS parts at a discount because it was made by children on a 16 hour shift.

While we can all agree that mustangs are under engineered and overweight.. you are neglecting cars like the ZR1 which was built for people who care about performance and not just hiding their beer belly and low sperm count with a lot of noise.

America is no longer a manufacturing based economy, so I don't really care that those jobs are gone. We are now focused on advanced tech and services. Which is why our precision parts and the stuff we do make here is usually top notch. There are obviously exceptions to this, but when it comes to a US made TIG welded manifold vs. a chinese fleaBay manifold there is no contest.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 03-26-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:31 PM
....I would take a Shelby GT500 over a ZR1 anytime!! I just have something against GM....

Marko!!

Old 05-27-2011, 12:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DOHCtor
....I would take a Shelby GT500 over a ZR1 anytime!! I just have something against GM....

Marko!!
have u drove a zr1? if u did u would love it. that was 1 car gm did really well. it keeps up with all for the super cars.

im thinking about getting this manifold. has there been any more problems or did they get them fixed. im boosted and will be running aat 8 psi. let me know what u guys think.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:08 PM
5 Year Member
Bisimoto now carries a Golden Eagle intake manifold for L15s. The same that was used on the Bisimoto 533 hp CR-Z. Available with a side or bottom throttle body opening.
Bisimoto Spec GE L15, LEA1 Intake manifold, machine finish - $549.00 : Bisimoto Engineering, Where Efficiency Meets Technological Perfection

Last edited by Tofuman; 05-27-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Previc93
have u drove a zr1? if u did u would love it. that was 1 car gm did really well. it keeps up with all for the super cars.

im thinking about getting this manifold. has there been any more problems or did they get them fixed. im boosted and will be running aat 8 psi. let me know what u guys think.
Like i said, i have something against anything GM in general... If i had the cash, i would take a GT500 or a Viper anytime before anything GM!

As for the Manifold, i don't know... Mine is ordered so i'll let you know!

Marko!

Quick Reply: Weapon-r manifold = |