Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

turbo build question

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 11:40 AM
turbo build question

hey guys im slowly piecing together parts for my future turbo kit and was wondering about getting an apexi VAFC... Would this do the job? Im probably going to be running a 5lb setup with minimal changes once the car is tuned.

let me know cause i have a few ppl unloading them in my area cheap

Old 08-26-2009, 12:34 PM
5 Year Member
do the job as far as??

using just that...........no

Old 08-26-2009, 12:45 PM
5 Year Member
Not even close. The VAFC isn't as tunable for our cars then others like the 240sx or the older eg's or EF's. Ur gonna have to go AEM f/ic or greddy emanage ultimate. I went with the AEM f/ic only cuz i got a great deal on a used one.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:50 PM
i love college
get an aem fi/c and do it right the first time.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:11 PM
this is why i love this forum...

ill keep my eye open for a used one if not ill have to save up. the fi/c will handle air and fuel. do i need another resolution for ecu tuning? btw my fit is a/t

Old 08-26-2009, 02:32 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
as far as tuning goes for an FI kit you need.
-AEM f/ic
-boomslang plug n play harness (optional)
-AEM wideband uego gauge (hooks up to the f/ic)

Old 08-26-2009, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by redrumm
do the job as far as??

using just that...........no
sry i meant as far as tuning the car once the kit is built.
im new to boost and engine management, my prelude was si(non vtec) w/ spray and believe me it did the job! lol.

Originally Posted by dewthedew
as far as tuning goes for an FI kit you need.
-AEM f/ic
-boomslang plug n play harness (optional)
-AEM wideband uego gauge (hooks up to the f/ic)
is the fic universal or model specific? and does it control vtec or is there no need? is the boomslang harness better than aem's patch harness?

Last edited by pbz08gd3; 08-26-2009 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:14 PM
5 Year Member
you need model number 30-1910 for the fi/c, it can control vtec if wanted, it controls fuel and timing. the boomslang harness is plug and play(not sure if its a/t compatible)

word's of wisdom plan on spending $2,500+ from start to finish. don't think you can get it done for considerbly less unless you have your own fab shop/skills. spend less and you will run into problems almost gaurenteed.

cheap
fast
reliable

pick two.

management/tuning is the most important part of the setup. if your spending less than $400 on tuning then you either have the hookup or your not going to the right guy.

this is my personal opinion. don't take offence.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:11 AM
im a little old school in this opinion but a lot of pros will tell you exactly what im going to:

a dyno tune will kill your car. Get it tuned on a dyno first as a rough tune to get yourself running, then fine tune on the street. I've seen many engines come and go from many different shops and more often than not if it was only tuned on a dyno, it eventually blew up so keep that in mind. If it were me letting someone else tune my car, if they dyno tuned it and handed it over, i wouldn't be a happy camper.

That being said NO ONE touches my car but me. ever. I've worked in a shop and from what ive seen, even the most reputable high end fantastic shop in the world will ever treat your car with the respect and love that you will. Not saying they won't do a good job, but if you take the time and effort to read and learn about everything involved in tuning and fabricating, then practice enough you can do it yourself. Go and actually read books and learn from reputable sources, don't take everything you read on a forum as the end all word. There's good info to be had, but you have to sift through a lot of garbage to get to that info...

Good luck, and I hope this build goes really well. Keep us updated on your progress!

Old 09-06-2009, 11:09 AM
5 Year Member
my tuner and good friend always does his part throttle tuning on the street before we head out to the dyno then finishes up the high load tuning on a dyno in a "controled enviroment" then after he feel's it's right he'll pull a little timing and deliver the car to make sure it's safe.

as for learning to tune, I'd say do it right by going to a efi 101 class or learning from someone who's good. I feel tuning is an art. and you have to really understand whats going on. one wrong move can be an expensive mistake. read into Brake Mean Effective Pressure (BMEP) if you can understand that then it makes understanding tuning alot easier.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:41 PM
yeah im looking at getting the aem f/ic w/ he aem harness cuz its cheaper than boomslang's and the uego gauge. a fellow member is going to be send me some base maps from his ride before and after boost so i have something to work with off the bat. im in no hurry though i rather fast and reliable over cheap fer-sherrr.

i found a local guy that has the fic for $250 new in box