Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Turbo cause my air fuel ratio high vibration

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 01:25 AM
5 Year Member
Turbo cause my air fuel ratio high vibration

My car have idling problem every morning.
My gearbox is auto.
The car always have high vibration when the car stop on "D".
But this problem go away when is afternoon or at night.
There is no problem for this until i had install turbo.

Could it be:

1) at idle speed, i believe that turbo is turning and i guess there is extra air entering into engine cause too learn?
2) at idle speed, i believe that the inlet pipe is too long and cause less air, so insufficient air into engine cause vibration?
3) yr comment

I don't have Air fuel ratio gauge. So i not sure what happen to my engine.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:41 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
turbo might be going out? is it keeping constant boost pressure?

i would most likely say it is the tune you are running. hook up an afr gauge to see.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:26 AM
5 Year Member
wat turbo kit u running?

Old 08-28-2009, 11:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kylerwho
turbo might be going out? is it keeping constant boost pressure?

i would most likely say it is the tune you are running. hook up an afr gauge to see.
AFR gauge is very expensive and normal is useless after tune or non tuner.

idle speed or below 2000 RPM won't boost. the problem is not during boost.

the problem is stop ( idling) or when going to from 800RPM to 1000 RPM , there is alot vibration.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by azkikersfit
wat turbo kit u running?

TD04 on L15A

Old 08-28-2009, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member
I would look for a vacuum leak and check the spark plug condition to determine if they need replacing or exhibit a rich or lean A/F ratio.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I would look for a vacuum leak and check the spark plug condition to determine if they need replacing or exhibit a rich or lean A/F ratio.

maybe not vaccum leak bcos afternoon is ok?
if spark plug got problem, afternoon still ok? anything my s.plug abt changed.

Last edited by clanbuster; 08-29-2009 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by clanbuster
maybe not vaccum leak bcos afternoon is ok?
if spark plug got problem, afternoon still ok? anything my s.plug abt changed.
On older cars with automatic transmission it wasn't uncommon to have to shift into neutral on cold mornings until the engine had warmed up to it's operating temperature.. The electronic engine control units on cars now have made a great improvement in almost making this condition a thing of the past.... Are you allowing your engine to idle for 1 or 2 minutes to cool down before shutting it off ? If not, that could be a problem if you aren't .... If the exhaust smells overly rich it could also be related to a faulty air intake temperature sensor, but taking a look at the spark plugs will tell you if it is an overly rich or lean condition.....

Old 08-31-2009, 01:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
On older cars with automatic transmission it wasn't uncommon to have to shift into neutral on cold mornings until the engine had warmed up to it's operating temperature.. The electronic engine control units on cars now have made a great improvement in almost making this condition a thing of the past.... Are you allowing your engine to idle for 1 or 2 minutes to cool down before shutting it off ? If not, that could be a problem if you aren't .... If the exhaust smells overly rich it could also be related to a faulty air intake temperature sensor, but taking a look at the spark plugs will tell you if it is an overly rich or lean condition.....
i will try to find out with my mechanic again.
if not mistaken ,I remember that they are using AEM wideband type. At idling , I saw digital show 14 , 15, 16. it jumping here and there and this is during afternoon. ( so if i buy AF gauge and if it show result is jumping from 14 to 16, I was wonder how to know my setting is lean or rich, LOL)

When i reached their workshop, the engine is hot, so the workshop can't detect any problem.

My piggyback AEM tuned and I don;t know how to tune.
But i was thinking is it possible to add Apexi AFC neo for fine tune myself? But i not sure can it be added to ECU because there will be alot of wiring and AEM piggyback was on tap on ECU too.

By the way, even 24 hrs i didn't start my car, during midnight, there is no problem. Why there is problem in morning?

* some time, the virbation will cause my engine to die down.

Every morning, i need to Q in the traffic jam. Because the speed is too slow, when i release the brake during my car in " D" mode (auto), it will kill my engine. This is very peace off during the traffic jam.

Pls help. Is it the problem from Air Fuel problem?
sensor?
ECU?
my car is 1.2 year old.
My bro also drive Fit abt 3 years old pure stock, totally no problem, so smooth.

PLS ADVISE, thank u

Last edited by clanbuster; 08-31-2009 at 01:31 AM.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:21 AM
when your engine is warming up to operating temperature it runs a completely different fuel trim than it does for normal driving after the engine has warmed up. Depending on how long you go between driving/what the temp is like outside it may not go into the "warm up" mode for very long, if at all which would explain the afternoon being a normal driving experience. It is possible the tune they have on your car does not compensate for this "warm up" and it is making your idle want to quit on you.

either that or your fit is simply not a morning person (car? lol).

Old 09-06-2009, 06:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 5speedwonder
when your engine is warming up to operating temperature it runs a completely different fuel trim than it does for normal driving after the engine has warmed up. Depending on how long you go between driving/what the temp is like outside it may not go into the "warm up" mode for very long, if at all which would explain the afternoon being a normal driving experience. It is possible the tune they have on your car does not compensate for this "warm up" and it is making your idle want to quit on you.

either that or your fit is simply not a morning person (car? lol).
i think is depend. now the thing getting worst. Always need tune my setting FUEL MAP for minimize the vibration using AEM FIC.

The vibration will not longer stable even drive for few hrs.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:47 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
what are you talking about when you say vibration??

Old 10-02-2009, 03:32 PM
Yeah I'm not sure I understand the "vibration" part. The AF ratio will oscillate... But if you mean mechanical vibration it's possible you have a misfire. Check your spark plugs, they could be fouled or worn.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator
If you have not checked your spark plugs yet, check them. My car (auto) use to stall out at idle or starting to go from a light. After a while it started to get worst and more frequent untill I got a check engine light. Pulled the plugs and they where very black so I replaced them and car runs fine again.

Last edited by MNfit; 10-03-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by explosivpotato
Yeah I'm not sure I understand the "vibration" part. The AF ratio will oscillate... But if you mean mechanical vibration it's possible you have a misfire. Check your spark plugs, they could be fouled or worn.
Yes i did. i change 2 times within 2 weeks. Confirm not spark plug already.