Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

DIY- Ram Air / Cold Air Intake from Fog Light Opening

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 03:48 AM
5 Year Member
I'm going to try something similar to this with the PRM intake I ordered. This thread and Myxalpyx's thread has inspired me. I'm currently running a cheapo eBay CAI.

Old 05-29-2015, 05:58 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
my current tinker project is a gd3 stock air box, 3" inlet hole cut with an elbow going down passed the frame, then I just need to add an elbow to the stock fog light housing and connect the two for a true ram air inlet.

down side is living in Seattle means lots of water sucking potential.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TFB Designs
Driving Impressions

Okay right away I felt more throttle response. I didn't want to get too excited and come to an unrealistic butt dyno. But it is definitely noticeable especially in the top end. The intake is louder. I now hear it over the exhaust completely when in high RPMs. This tells me that it is passing a lot more air through.

On the freeway it is faster too. It seems to work better the faster you go. Makes sense I guess, the more air that passes through the better. The temperature of the air will be colder too.

Totally forgot about this thread but I echo your driving impressions. I hate talking about impressions but I'm giving in this time. I've changed my setup 3x already, from testing and retesting it against stock and against just using a single ram from over the radiator. It does seem to help in feel but I can't see any data (Maf g/s, Intake air pressure, injector pulse width) to back it up. The only thing that seems to have changed significantly is my air/fuel ratio.

Stock intake air/fuel rato is 11.9/12.0:1.
Filter in box with stock air inlet air/fuel ratio: 12.4/12.5:1
Filter in box with stock air inlet and foglight air/fuel ratio: 12.7/12.8:1

So it's definitely getting leaner. Been working a lot on making sure the airbox is airtight with good success. I have one more change to the hook-up in the foglight area to make it more secure and I'll be done. Great thread!

Attached Thumbnails DIY- Ram Air / Cold Air Intake from Fog Light Opening-upk4pqu.jpg   DIY- Ram Air / Cold Air Intake from Fog Light Opening-ynnfrbd.jpg  
Old 03-01-2016, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
Use some polyurethane adhesive on the elbow and the back of the funnel bit and it won't come out.. Zip ties degrade with time in that environment..

Old 03-01-2016, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
Use some polyurethane adhesive on the elbow and the back of the funnel bit and it won't come out.. Zip ties degrade with time in that environment..
It's already back together but I used regular metal clamps that are used to hold silicone hoses on metal pipe. I had to change my setup slightly because there is a metal piece in the way in the back of the foglight, which prevents you from running a straight tube to the foglight area. Somehow, I got it to work though. That's not a bad suggestion though.

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 03-01-2016 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-25-2021, 09:47 PM
Former Vendor
This is really a great post, thank you for writing it down and sharing it with us.

Old 03-26-2021, 01:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MaXpeedingRods
This is really a great post, thank you for writing it down and sharing it with us.
If it helps, I forgot to add one more thing I noticed during my testing of dual ram-air versus single ram air.
My dual ram-air setup had a volumetric efficiency up to 102% (Previously had logged on Torque Pro software, video runs)
My single ram-air setup (taking air in from over the front grill) had volumetric efficiency get up to 106% at the top of the rpm range.

All of my old videos have been lost on a hard drive that crashed. I hope to get all the files/data off of it someday. In the meantime, I thought that was interesting.
None of my intake setups outside of the ram air setups had a volumetric efficiency over 100%. Close...but not over.

Old 03-26-2021, 10:03 AM
5 Year Member
RAM air

@Myxalplyx I should have my RAM air intake working by next week It is a custom 3" KNN cone filter with a couple curves of mandrel bent aluminum straight into the Honda S2K throttle body. I had RZCrew make me a custom intake manifold with the S2K bolt pattern. It should be very efficient. I have not tapped it yet for methanol injection, but will do so all in good time . Additionally I have secured some 2" flex tube for brake ducting. My Wilwood 6-piston calipers are on back order so it will be extra important to have cooling for my stock size brakes... Is going to make for an interesting front end, that's for sure!!! Cheers!

Old 03-28-2021, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Z062FIT
@Myxalplyx I should have my RAM air intake working by next week It is a custom 3" KNN cone filter with a couple curves of mandrel bent aluminum straight into the Honda S2K throttle body. I had RZCrew make me a custom intake manifold with the S2K bolt pattern. It should be very efficient. I have not tapped it yet for methanol injection, but will do so all in good time . Additionally I have secured some 2" flex tube for brake ducting. My Wilwood 6-piston calipers are on back order so it will be extra important to have cooling for my stock size brakes... Is going to make for an interesting front end, that's for sure!!! Cheers!
All I can say is OMG!!! I can't wait to read/hear of what you setup does when you are finished.

Old 03-31-2021, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member
Build thread

@Myxalplyx check my build thread for CAI install

Old 04-08-2021, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
Intake air temps

For reference, intake air temps are 3* above ambient with my intake setup. Also if you increase the diameter of the MAF housing, adjust your MAF table accordingly. My new engine had a pretty rough 10 minutes until I got that fixed...