Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

K24a2 + ITR LSD Transmission or Kraftwerks High Boost Kit SuperCharger Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 03:20 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
skunk2's racing fit with a custom kw superchager was laying down 240hp at the wheels with no internal modifications but they broke the connecting rods during the tuning session. so speculation would say the l15 in a stock form can handle 210-220hp as long as your tune is reliable.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by kylerwho
skunk2's racing fit with a custom kw superchager was laying down 240hp at the wheels with no internal modifications but they broke the connecting rods during the tuning session. so speculation would say the l15 in a stock form can handle 210-220hp as long as your tune is reliable.
Wow, thats about 280 at the crank assuming manual trans and 15-18% drivetrain loss.

You could probably get away with the stock pistons and just some stouter rods, but if you are going to pull the crank for some new rods you might as well make it worth your while and throw in new slugs, hardware and bearings too.

By chance do you know if it was a smaller pulley on a C15 rotrex or did they just skip straight to a C30?

I find it difficult to believe they had a custom compressor made for their Fit, even on Skunk2's budget. It would be cool if they did though.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 01-13-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:14 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
the honda fit has a 7-8% drivetrain loss not 15-18%.

so really its only 255-260hp at the crank. About the same as the d15 motors.

the fit was a project between skunk2 and kraftwerks but i believe it was the same c15 with just a smaller pully similar to how jdmchris is setup.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by kylerwho
the honda fit has a 7-8% drivetrain loss not 15-18%.

so really its only 255-260hp at the crank. About the same as the d15 motors.

the fit was a project between skunk2 and kraftwerks but i believe it was the same c15 with just a smaller pully similar to how jdmchris is setup.

250 at the crank is still pretty impressive.

Where did you find the drivetrain loss for the Fit? I have searched on this forum and google but nothing conclusive comes up.

Most of the stock GD Fit dyno info I can find shows the 5MT returning in the mid to low 90whp range or about 13-18% under acceleration like you see on a chassis dyno vs. as little as 2% when done in steady-state in whatever gear ratio is closest to 1:1.

Breaking down the different types of losses that occur within a vehicle's drivetrain, steady-state losses occur while the vehicle is cruising at a steady or constant speed, where average angular acceleration is zero because no additional torque is being called upon to accelerate the drivetrain's rotational mass. Within the drivetrain, steady-state power losses occur from the following components: the transmission torque converter (in the case of automatic transmissions), the transmission oil pump, clutch pack drag, one-way clutch drag, seal and bearing drag, gear windage and friction, and final drive losses.

Dynamic drivetrain losses, on the other hand, include the rotational inertial losses from angular acceleration occurring within the drivetrain while accelerating. In fact, during acceleration there are losses from the rotational inertia of spinning transmission and differential internals as well as driveline components like driveshafts and prop shafts, but also from the increased load and friction being generated between the gears within the transmission and differential(s). And as you already know, with increased friction comes increased heat (more on that later).

It's important to understand the difference between steady-state and dynamic losses because SAE net horsepower, as reported by the auto industry, is measured in a steady-state condition. What this means is that the horsepower rating for your vehicle doesn't take into account dynamic losses that occur during acceleration. However, when you strap your car to a chassis dyno to measure its engine's output, the test is conducted at wide-open throttle and power is measured by the speed at which the dyno's rollers are accelerated. This means that drivetrain losses from rotational inertia and increasing friction, drag and windage are at work and will reduce the peak horsepower reading at the wheels.

Within the drivetrain itself, the primary loss sources are the differential and final drive, with further losses stemming from within the transmission, and in the case of AWD vehicles, from the transfer case. Within the transmission, as much as 30 to 40 percent of power loss can be attributed to the pump, with the clutch contributing another 20 to 25 percent. The rest of the loss within the transmission comes from seal drag, gear meshing, bearings, bushings and windage (drag on the gears caused by the gear oil). However, when dyno testing in the direct drive (1:1) gear, power is delivered directly through the mainshaft of the transmission, so the only loss sources are windage, friction and drag, resulting in total at-the-wheel losses as low as 1.5 to 2 percent, according to the published data.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 01-14-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:18 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
there was an article i found a few years ago when i was doing some research before buying my fit but it appears the site is no longer around but i had some type of engineering spec sheet on the fit.

109hp is just an advertised hp rating. you will find fits running anything from 87-94hp at the wheels depending on altitude, wear and tear, and a big list of variables.

im always refering to the gd3 chassis as well, i have not done any research for the ge8.