Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

AT to MT tranny on a GD3 question

Old 04-23-2011, 08:56 PM
5 Year Member
AT to MT tranny on a GD3 question

Hey all!

I'm thinking about swaping my AT tranny to a MT one, the same one it comes for it. My question is, will it work fine or will give problems? I know I have to swap the ECU as well beside some other things like the clutch and stuff.

A few people have told me is not recommended.

What do you guys think?

Old 04-23-2011, 09:45 PM
whatever you want!

It's certainly possible but the argument always come down to a cost benefit ratio. It will end up being cheaper to trade cars! This has been argued MANY times before. I have an MT and would have it no other way so I understand your reasoning but HOW much is it worth to you. Tranny, clutch bell housing, ECU, linkage and probably numerous little thing I haven't foreseen. Your time has value Too!

Old 04-23-2011, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by feddup
It's certainly possible but the argument always come down to a cost benefit ratio. It will end up being cheaper to trade cars! This has been argued MANY times before. I have an MT and would have it no other way so I understand your reasoning but HOW much is it worth to you. Tranny, clutch bell housing, ECU, linkage and probably numerous little thing I haven't foreseen. Your time has value Too!
I agree with feddup... I don't know if there is a way that the after market final drive gears for the manual transaxle is compatible with the automatic but if so it would be a feasible alternative to doing a swap... macbuddy uses his car in auto cross and has done well by using lighter, smaller diameter wheels and tires to improve his acceleration and handling on his GD3 with automatic transmission.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:39 AM
5 Year Member
Thank you both!

Feddup> I thought about it to long ago, but the problem is that I'm not going to end up with the same monthly payment that I have right now. Also I haven't figured out the prices for each piece that I need. But since this a Fit forum, there are people more familiarized with a Fit than I am, so that's why I asked.

Coyote> I personally don't want to do the swap just to improve acceleration or do a solo one (circuit). It's more for feeling and it's a bit fuel economy. But thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind!

Old 04-24-2011, 01:19 AM
Super Moderator
Well from what I have learned from doing research for the K24 swap. You will need the ECU, a new gauge cluster also the Auto and Manual Trans mounts are different so you will probable run into problems there. You would also probable need the Manual engine harness, there are probable also all sorts of little things your over looking.

Basicly the amount of money and work involved, it would just be better to buy a manual Fit

Old 06-08-2011, 03:44 AM
now, i'm one of those stupid people to do a tranny swap, but before you flame me for being an idiot... i did it because i have a friend that wanted the exact opposite, he wanted to swap his mt into an at... problem is, i have done engine modification to my car and we're not swapping that!.. so we do an extensive tranny swap paying only for labour cost. the swap is extensive, all from the tranny, clutch bell housing, clutch cables, pedals, sticks, meter cluster, ecu, and wiring harness.. it's been 2 years now, and i have yet to find any issue. both cars are running perfectly fine.

the weird thing is, unlike some of the guys here that are swapping at to MT K motor, I don't have to modify the tranny side engine mounting or the transmission stick inside the center console... it's all plug and play for me... i don't know why is that... maybe the fact that mine is GD3 with right hand drive? i don't know.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
Thats what I'm wondering because in this case. Mine is a left side hand drive. Is it the same?

Old 06-24-2011, 02:36 AM
i wish this was easy cuz there are so many WHITE AUTOMATIC FITS!!! I WANT A MANUAL!!

Old 07-15-2011, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah there is a mountain of parts. I have been gathering parts to do this swap on my eg hatch for ever and I am just about fed up with trying to get to the point of doing it. I am sure there are some big issues with the electronics, wiring etc but just parts wise here are the major things your need.

Tranmission
Mounts
Shift linkage
Clutch cylinder and slave
clutch
all hard lines for the above parts
flywheel
Possibly a different starter (not sure on the fit but this is the case on the EG)
And I am sure there is more. Honestly if you are going to do this I say really go for broke and just do the entire Kswap with it. I am going to just hold off on my eg until I have the money to do the full engine build I want to do and that will be a MT so that swap will be done at the same time. Good luck man you have a huge mountain to climb with this.