Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Installed Cold Air Intake (CAI) and now my car sputters

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
Installed Cold Air Intake (CAI) and now my car sputters

Hi everyone:

I hope there wasn't a thread started about this already... I tried searching for it but nothing came up..

I just recently installed a DIY pretty much with the same set up from the SSRI thread..

2.5/3in Spectre Coupler
90 degree 3 in bend
4 inch long chrome pvc pipe
Spectre air filter

So I disassemble the whole filter casing and took out the Mass Air Flow. Slit a hole in the top of the 90 degree bend and dropped it in. Sealed it with black silicone and drove the car..

The car hesitates when I step on the throttle.. If i rev it up, and then let it drop, then sometimes the car stalls and just shuts off.

The car *seems* to run smoother when it's higher REV.

I've driven it for several tens of miles now and it might have gotten a lil smoother? But I'm not 100% sure actually...

Any ideas what might be wrong? This is my first project on this car and it seems like I messed it up somehow...

Thanks in advance for all your replies.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:48 PM
I'd guess the MAF sensor; I had somewhat similar symptoms from my previous car and it turned out in that case to be a dirty MAF sensor, and cleaning it nicely made a world of difference. In this case, of course, it's probably not dirt, but perhaps the electrical connector isn't tight or making good contact, or maybe something in your install is messing it up (like something in the way of the airflow to it, or it ended up a bit cockeyed), or maybe even a little of the silicone got on the sensor itself where it shouldn't be.

This is only a guess; I'm no expert on these things.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:59 PM
5 Year Member

Is your check engine light on ? If so reset ur car by disconnecting your negative battery cable for a min. Dose your intake have a rubber hose with it or a little filter for the metal second air intake don't know what's its called exactly. Sounds like its got to be an air leak or intake sensor. If you can send a pic .