Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Lets see some FlashPro calibrations!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 12:45 AM
Banned
$600.00+ you consider cheap? What do you think it is going to do for mileage? You are negating any benefits of using a flash pro using 87 octane fuel.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by loudbang
$600.00+ you consider cheap? What do you think it is going to do for mileage? You are negating any benefits of using a flash pro using 87 octane fuel.
I don't want to derail the thread, but can you verify this statement? The OEM GD3 ignition, fuel, knock and AFR v MAP targets
are all very conservative to account for a WIDE range of drivers, climates, and the lowest-quality gasolines. Yes I consider $600
for the FlashPro cheap; it's the highest value drivetrain upgrade available for the GD3. Even on a 100% stock L15, you can
improve efficiency, power and response. The $600 FlashPro is highly capable, not becoming a liability until silly big whp where
features, processor speed & resolution become limiting factors. Only Bisimoto and guys shooting for world records will need
such computing power.

Honda ECU's have for decades been more capable then their stock application. In 2007 I dyno'ed at 117.7 whp on 87 octane
from with a SOHC D15B1 '91 Civic. Before tuning it made 90 whp. That's 17+ whp from just ECU tuning. The engine originally
made 70 hp (that's ~59 whp!). The Civic had these modifications:

OBD-I conversion, P28 ECU + Crome
OEM stock D15B1 block & head
D16A6 cam & adjustable gear
D16Z6 intake mani
Intake/Header/2.25" Exhaust

(Ancient link to car)

Name:  Dyno.jpg
Views: 1154
Size:  71.9 KB
Name:  Newestenginebay.jpg
Views: 1231
Size:  89.4 KB

I've netted 40+ mpg's on two of the last three fill-ups. No difference in driving style; I still use cruise control, AC and zero hypermiling strategies.
Do I think I've made improvements equal to my '91 D-Series? Hell no, the L15A1 came more optimized and has less mods.
But do I think power, efficiency and response can be improved significantly over stock on 87 octane? Absolutely.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:13 AM
Banned
Yea by tuning what with a flash pro? Have you looked to see how many tanks of 93 the difference from 87 would it take to equal $600.00. JUST using 93 you would get the benefits you are after without buy a flash pro.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by loudbang
Yea by tuning what with a flash pro? Have you looked to see how many tanks of 93 the difference from 87 would it take to equal $600.00. JUST using 93 you would get the benefits you are after without buy a flash pro.
That is an inaccurate statement. I have felt a major difference in just the base tune or stock tune flashpro comes with.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:44 PM
5 Year Member
Loudbang apparently has a thing for octane.... But everyone seems to forget that the stock ECU WILL RETUNE. Only way to get benefit from a higher octane on a stock ECU is to also change to the cooler IK-22 plugs....THIS IS OLD NEWS

Remember folks, I did the ground work for everyone in November of 2012 when I was the first to purchase and tune with the FlashPro
Name:  20121113_170258_HDR-1.jpg
Views: 1179
Size:  467.5 KB

I used both dyno time and real world logs with an AFR
Name:  20121013_123428_zps3g9stxbd.jpg
Views: 1087
Size:  103.2 KB

Name:  20130317_165642_HDR_zps41rfu7zp.jpg
Views: 1087
Size:  148.7 KB

I did and DO this as I actively compete in SCCA Solo
Name:  20140413_100856_HDR_zpsi88nkydc.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  124.8 KB

If you searched the original threads from when I got mine, you can see that just adjusting fuel trim made an 11% increase in wheel horsepower. I started at 89whp ft or those obsessed with numbers.

After refinement, including major exhaust re working, I'm well up over 25% WHP. All of this is based on basic bolt on, over the counter parts. Confirmed by both dyno and drag strip ET's and trap speeds.

You cannot buy a better performance upgrade for the GD Fit.

PS: Just averaged 30+ MPG with a high moving average speed from Irvine in LA to Mountain House. Passing semi's and didn't have to down shift to go over the grapevine. I had 500+lbs of tools, tires, luggage and a passenger.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:45 AM
Yep last weekend I just made a trip to Vegas myself. Modified my VTEC crossover a bit so it wasn't kicking in so early and got 38mpg. This was with probably 400 extra pounds. Never had to downshift once which amazed me. Didn't mess with leaning it out, drafting, or over inflating my tires.

FP is still the best thing you can buy. Once you have it and get it tuned you will never regret it.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TPColgett
Loudbang apparently has a thing for octane.... But everyone seems to forget that the stock ECU WILL RETUNE. Only way to get benefit from a higher octane on a stock ECU is to also change to the cooler IK-22 plugs....THIS IS OLD NEWS

Remember folks, I did the ground work for everyone in November of 2012 when I was the first to purchase and tune with the FlashPro

I used both dyno time and real world logs with an AFR

I did and DO this as I actively compete in SCCA Solo

If you searched the original threads from when I got mine, you can see that just adjusting fuel trim made an 11% increase in wheel horsepower. I started at 89whp ft or those obsessed with numbers.

After refinement, including major exhaust re working, I'm well up over 25% WHP. All of this is based on basic bolt on, over the counter parts. Confirmed by both dyno and drag strip ET's and trap speeds.

You cannot buy a better performance upgrade for the GD Fit.

PS: Just averaged 30+ MPG with a high moving average speed from Irvine in LA to Mountain House. Passing semi's and didn't have to down shift to go over the grapevine. I had 500+lbs of tools, tires, luggage and a passenger.
What did you dyno on your current tune? What mods are you running (assuming I/H/E maybe pully since your running STF)?

Old 09-23-2014, 01:22 AM
If you want high HP, Change your oil after the dyno runs. Thicker oil means lower numbers.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TPColgett

What were your before and after Flashpro tuning drag strip ET's and trap speeds if you don't mind me asking? I'm particularly interested in the trap speeds. Thanks!

Old 09-27-2014, 01:26 AM
5 Year Member
Just got my flash pro and I'm currently running my GD3 with DC sports short ram, ceramic headers, and a cat - back exhaust.. any suggestions for set-up/calibrations with out getting a dyno done? I don't have a spare $300 for a full dyno right now lol

Old 10-06-2014, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cnordt24
Just got my flash pro and I'm currently running my GD3 with DC sports short ram, ceramic headers, and a cat - back exhaust.. any suggestions for set-up/calibrations with out getting a dyno done? I don't have a spare $300 for a full dyno right now lol
Ahhh I wish I could tell you but i have no clue o the tune. I left that to the pros. With those mods though you're going to want to tune the car. I dyno'd mine with similar mods and you'd be surprised how poor the power band and factory ECU is running the vehicle.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rollerboots666
Ahhh I wish I could tell you but i have no clue o the tune. I left that to the pros. With those mods though you're going to want to tune the car. I dyno'd mine with similar mods and you'd be surprised how poor the power band and factory ECU is running the vehicle.
Yeah, I think with my next paycheck I'm just going to send my specs to vit-tune and have them do an edyno for $150. I've got a buddy that's running a civic SI with a supercharger and he sent his specs to vit and says the results were fantastic.. so I figured why not lol

Old 09-28-2015, 02:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Import Al
Smoother 87-octane tune after Denso IK22's and valve adjustment.

I still need to get a wideband on it and back up suspected gains with dyno figures.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_Zn...it?usp=sharing
for anyone interested in trying his tune - I just threw it on my car to see how it'd go. Now I JUST uploaded it so the car may revert back to doing things that annoy me, but for now they're gone! I do not know much about the numbers behind tuning, so this is just a note of my observations while driving the car.

The first great improvement is rev-matching into 2nd gear. For some reason, from stock and with all my other tunes, there was always a huge throttle response lag when I would try to downshift into second. Miraculously with this tune, it is gone. I really hope the ECU doesn't do some learning and take this away from me!

There is a nice amount of low-mid RPM torque. From about 3000rpm and on the car pulls quite well and is VERY smooth, it revs up to 7200rpm in an almost completely linear fashion. The top revs might drop in power just a little bit, but very subtly. The engine doesn't seem to be too stressed and revs up very eagerly.

My last tune (not optimized for my car) made the car feel extremely weak mid-corner. I would mash the throttle but it would feel dead. This one pulls, but oddly if my car catches a bump or the REVs want to jump up - I feel a sudden loss of power. I think my knock sensor may be picking up a vibration or my engine mounts may need to be replaced. I also seemed to have a similar problem when I had my turbo kit installed. I was hoping his mild tune would help me around this problem and it seems to be working for the most part!

Maybe when I'm not so strapped for cash, I will finally go get a proper tune - but for now - I really like Import Al's map!

Last edited by accordguyintake; 09-28-2015 at 02:15 AM.