Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Battery Relocation?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 02:34 AM
5 Year Member
Battery Relocation?

Guys, I'd like to take a poll. How popular is battery relocation? Do Fit owners do it much?It would help in fitting a better intake system into the engine bay.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:06 AM
Haven't really even considered this because:

1) I'd have to put a battery box in the hatch and I don't want to lose utility in the hatch area. I could put it in the spare tire area but I like having a spare. "Weight distribution" would not be a valid excuse with my wife and kids if I got a flat on a roadtrip.
2) If it was an issue of weight distribution (race only) i'd just run a Braille in the stock location. 6 lbs isn't going to make much difference in the bay.
3) As far as intakes go, I think SRIs are better/more fun, so no reason to run a long intake anywhere near the battery anyway.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
If it was an issue of weight distribution (race only) i'd just run a Braille in the stock location. 6 lbs isn't going to make much difference in the bay.
I have been looking into Weight and Weight distribution, on the GE. A good set up on front wheel drive is ~60F/40R.

Stock MT Fit is 62/38
Stock AT Fit is 64/36

This means:

You would have to move ~50 lbs from the front to the rear.

Or remove ~125 lbs from the front.

Or add ~85 lbs to the rear.

To achieve this 60/40 ratio

Moving the battery, 6 lbs, to the rear you are achieving a ~61.7F/38.2R weight distribution assuming you have a MT Sport. Moving weight yields exponentially quicker results than removing/adding. But battery acid in the cabin even with a vented battery box is never a good idea on a daily driver.

My CAI is just touching the battery hold down, that was my initial concern. But battery relocation is a lot of work when there isn't a plug and play kit. I used Felt tape between the intake and hold down. So if it ever does rub though it would rub though the felt tape.

And, Yes I really do enjoy crunching the numbers.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:04 PM
It's unfortunate the stock battery location is so far forward in the bay. Would be nice if it was up against the firewall like in older Hondas but I guess there's not much room for that anymore. The fact it's so far forward makes it even worse for that weight balance...

So crunch the numbers running a race battery instead of a full size battery in the stock location. We'll say the stock battery is 20 lbs (where the stock distribution % comes from) and the "race" battery is 10 lbs.

If you use the hatch area to relocate, the weight is fairly high on the car = not good, if you use the spare tire well the weight is behind the rear tires = not good, so you're best mounting it closer to the driver somewhere right? I suppose in the hatch area right where the seat backs are sitting upright, between the shocks and rear trailing arm mounting points?

Old 04-01-2015, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
**Reviving**

I'm looking to do this myself to test an intake I have in mind. Everything I've read have lead me up to check this for myself.

See this intake -->

The battery is in the way. I need to move the battery towards the firewall (Where the stock air filter would be) and I'll mount it there. What can I use to extend the battery cable? All I need is to find out what I can use to extend both battery cables. I'll build a box around this air filter and have a hole in it where the cold/ram air comes into the box. The setup in question is not what I have questions on, only how to extend the battery cable. Any help or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

I NEED to be able to see how this works. There is absolutely no restriction, no 90 degree bends, no acordian intake pieces for the air to pass through, no small surface area for the filter, NOTHING. Just breathing in cold-air....as much as it happily can. This would be the ultimate top-end intake. I'm willing to put $$$ on it.

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 04-01-2015 at 04:21 PM.