Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Discussions about about exterior modifications, body-work, body-kits and JDM body styling

Window Louvers, visors, photos, questions, installation, answers

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 02:05 AM
5 Year Member
jdm style vent visor

eBay Motors: 06 07 2006 2007 HONDA FIT JDM WINDOW VENT VISOR VISORS (item 150139469726 end time Jul-12-07 15:08:11 PDT)
i was wondering if i should pick these up since they look like mugen,but dont know if there is a better copy out there.i cant afford the real so i must buy copies.please point me in the right direction to buy a good inexpensive set or if i should cop these or maybe the cheapest place to buy the mugen or jdm honda ones for cheap!

Last edited by jman245; 07-06-2007 at 02:07 AM.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:36 AM
5 Year Member
don't get that one. it is a NON-CLEAR black plastic. The real mugen ones are made by a clear smoked plastic that u can see through so if u wanted to get replica's, get em smoked, not a black plastic. Talk 2 a couple vendors on here i know they are sellin em cheap.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:35 PM
Banned
I just installed the Mugen visors that I ordered from King Motorsports. I read the ads on eBay for the cheaper visors for months, and read most of the posts in this thread before buying.

Why? Because I hate like hell fastening ANYTHING to the outside of my car with double-face tape. If you read the eBay ads for the REALLY cheap visors, you'll see the small print disclaimer "Warning- for off road and show only", which is I think Chinese for "These are guaranteed to blow off on the freeway and punch holes in the grill of the car behind you!"

The 3M tape used by the genuine Mugen visors is VERY strong, but you really need to thoroughly CLEAN the surface (black area) that surrounds the window opening. Use the cleaning pad that comes with the visors. It is not just alcohol, but smells like it also has some acetone in it. The instructions are in Japanese. but if you look carefully, you'll see that the visors should be stuck around the window opening about 2mm BELOW the upper edge of the door.

As has been previously described in another post, the mounting strength of these expensive visors comes from the clips (two clips per visor, front and back visors). After tugging out the rubber weatherstrip window seals, the clips, that have already been attached to the visors with the provided pins, are pushed up into the tracks in the door tops where the window seals were removed from. After the clips are in place, you stuff the rubber seal strips back up into the tracks. They fit very tightly and they TRAP the clips in place. Now, with the strong tape AND the clips, the visors can't come off unless you drive into a low tree limb or sideswipe some other car's mirror.

Since I did not buy any of the cheap crap on eBay, I don't know for certain that they are all garbage. But I do know for certain that the Mugen visors are of very good quality and good design.

Last of all, the warnings about visors causing problems with the operation of the WINDOWS are due to the one brand of visor, WEATHERTECH, that supposedly fits right into the window seal weatherstrip, AND DOES NOT USE TAPE OR CLIPS. The problem with this idea is, the rubber window seals fit so tightly around the edges of the window glass that there is NO ROOM for the addition of a piece of plastic. The plastic vent is what jams up the window motor and prevents sealing water out.

So, from recent experience, my opinion is that if you can't afford the high quality visors, you will buy only trouble with the cheap ones.

Last edited by manxman; 07-11-2007 at 12:04 PM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 07-11-2007, 11:49 AM
Bap
5 Year Member
DO NOT BUY!!!!!! I purchased a similar set off ebay and they were around the same price and went to put them on the car and the lines of the visors did not match up with the lines of the car as well had defects in the plastic and was very poorly made they have flat areas on the visors where the addhiseve attaches to the car and the tape they use is not going to be strong enough to hold the visors to the car at high speeds or through a car wash. I never put the visors on the car becaused they looked so bad and I think thoses are the same ones. I waited untill I could afford the real ones and am very glad I did. I still have the pos visors in the box they came in in my closet.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:02 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Bap
DO NOT BUY!!!!!! I purchased a similar set off ebay and they were around the same price and went to put them on the car and the lines of the visors did not match up with the lines of the car as well had defects in the plastic and was very poorly made they have flat areas on the visors where the addhiseve attaches to the car and the tape they use is not going to be strong enough to hold the visors to the car at high speeds or through a car wash. I never put the visors on the car becaused they looked so bad and I think thoses are the same ones. I waited untill I could afford the real ones and am very glad I did. I still have the pos visors in the box they came in in my closet.
There you go! Proof positive that the cheap eBAy crap visors are cheap crap. I ordered my Mugen visors after seeing BAP's visors at the famous "Big NorCal Fit Meet", where he explained about the importance of the mounting clips. THANKS, BAP.

eBay Motors can be a good resource for finding modification accessories for your Fit, but your odds of getting screwed on quality are at least 50%. That is where patience and careful research on these forums pays off. Before you buy anything from anywhere, do your research to the point where you can trust the parts to work, and can trust the company that sells them.

Last edited by manxman; 07-11-2007 at 12:10 PM. Reason: add comment
Old 08-09-2007, 04:38 AM
5 Year Member
what are the purpose of these visors besides protecting urself from having water drenching the interior when rolling the windows down...and is it really that much better with them on?

Old 08-09-2007, 04:49 AM
5 Year Member
are the weather tech ones any good? and if i get just the front pair would it make the fit look weird?

Old 08-09-2007, 11:19 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by jeimusu86
are the weather tech ones any good? and if i get just the front pair would it make the fit look weird?
Threads like this one are multiple-pages long for a reason. People have been posting questions like yours, and answers to them, for a year now. Read the thread. Don't buy WeatherTech.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:04 PM
Vent visors/window visors are a good thing and I really recommend them for us vehicle owners who experience the full 4 seasons in extreme.

It is a common practise for us Northerners to crack our windows to expel the moisture laden air we expel as we breath to help in initial defrosting and a/c duties to clear our windows.

BTW...we crack our windows as far as the visors covers...or precipitation and too much wind noise will get in too. Smokers...love this mod too

Also....those with the 3M double sided tape when applied meticulously are awesome. I've applied them on my past 3 cars and I could almost do chin-ups off them. I can attest to this cause my old 89 accord had it as a bitch to take off when I repainted it.

I followed the instructions and installed it flawlessly in the summer time and in the next couple of days following I would still press to make sure adhesion was optimum.

3M tape double sided ones. Had them on my past 3 cars and when applied properly and meticuously you can almost do chin-ups off them...but then the material would break

Old 08-21-2007, 01:25 AM
after market visors

My friend got his at a shop in So.Cal, and his is more thicker, not like the one they sell on Ebay, he got his for almost a year, before he crashed his car. i know it all looked alike when it on pictures, but you have to feel it or see it, in order to tell the different..so doesnt mean the replica is not good, just depend who's imported. i will get the name of the shop that he's getting his.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member
mspcl i would love to know where your friend got his visors, im looking for some too. I know guys are all about oem or mugen, but i cant justify spending that much for visors... all the ones ive ever seen or had (3m tape) they never fell apart and the ones that did were from criminals breaking the visors to break in.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:12 AM
he got his visor

He got his visors at TOPLINE MOTORSPORT INC, his is thicker

Old 08-29-2007, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
WEATHERTECH visors

Originally Posted by manxman
Last of all, the warnings about visors causing problems with the operation of the WINDOWS are due to the one brand of visor, WEATHERTECH, that supposedly fits right into the window seal weatherstrip, AND DOES NOT USE TAPE OR CLIPS. The problem with this idea is, the rubber window seals fit so tightly around the edges of the window glass that there is NO ROOM for the addition of a piece of plastic. The plastic vent is what jams up the window motor and prevents sealing water out.
I had WEATHERTECH visors installed. I've had absolutely NO PROBLEM with windows going up all the way. The shop where I bought them recommeded WEATHERTECH over other brands they stocked.

Just another data-point.

Dave

Old 08-31-2007, 11:51 AM
I hope this wasn't already covered, are there any ESAM visors for the fit by chance?

Old 09-08-2007, 06:02 PM
5 Year Member
Not to beat a dead horse, but do the Mugen visors come with just tape on the back? I just ordered them yesterday and i know that the honda access ones have clips too.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:26 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Halcyon
Not to beat a dead horse, but do the Mugen visors come with just tape on the back? I just ordered them yesterday and i know that the honda access ones have clips too.
Mugen visors HAVE clips. BE CAREFUL when assembling the clips onto the visors- the pins that hold the clips to the plastic visors are easy to deform. Make sure that you push them in straight.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by baldddguy
I had WEATHERTECH visors installed. I've had absolutely NO PROBLEM with windows going up all the way. The shop where I bought them recommeded WEATHERTECH over other brands they stocked.

Just another data-point.

Dave
Can you post a picture of your FIT with the WEATHERTECH visors installed?

Old 10-31-2007, 05:28 PM
I'm sorry but what brand are those and are they in channel or tape

Old 10-31-2007, 10:29 PM
5 Year Member
I threw caution to the wind and got Mugen style visors from ebay, they only adhered with 3M tape. Completely generic knockoffs I think they said made in Taiwan on the packing plastic. Anyway, They fit fine, one was every so slightly misaligned but with some persuasion they all installed fine. I've gone through a car wash and have driven several times for 1+ hours straight on the highway with no problems. HOWEVER - to err on the side of caution, I purchased 3M trim adhesive gel from Pep Boys and added some of it to the 3M tape before installing. I also made sure to clean the surfaces with rubbing alcohol and let them dry.
All and all it was 31.99 for the visors and 3.19 or so for the 3M adhesive.
MySpace

It's myspace, so it's hit or miss if that link will work, but if it does, mine is the blue one, and the red one next to me is rockin' authentic Mugens...
With the exception of not having the logo, I couldn't tell the difference.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:17 AM
5 Year Member
Good information in here. I'm torn between the Honda Access and Mugen visors. I feel like the Mugen ones would look good only after the car has been dropped w/ some nice wheels and other nice exterior appointments. With a mostly stock Fit, however, the Honda ones would probably do the trick, and keep things nice, subtle and functional on the outside.

Decisions, decisions...

-Mike

Quick Reply: Window Louvers, visors, photos, questions, installation, answers