Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Discussions about about exterior modifications, body-work, body-kits and JDM body styling

Quick front bumper question

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 12:23 AM
Question Quick front bumper question

My wife and I just got an 08 Fit sport tonight and we told them not to put the front plate on. She has the car at work right now so I cant see the car, but she said the plate is on there. My question is, will there be holes in the front bumper cover if the plate is removed or does this car use a bracket mounted somewhere in the lower grill like the newer Civic. I know that with these brackets on the Civic you can remove the front plate and there are no holes showing. Does anyone know if the Fit is the same way? Thanks in advance.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:26 AM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
its mounted on the bottom and through the front of the bumper. i have a nasty hole in my bumper from that. i bitched out the dealership for doing it even though i asked them not to and they said it was law that they had to install it.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:27 AM
No hole on the 07

Should be the same as the 07. There are NO holes in the front bumper. The front license plate frame is mounted underneath via the lower grill. It's quite windy here in Oklahoma and I've noticed that after 1 month of driving, there's a very slight surface scratch on my front bumper just under the license plate frame.

BTW -- hope your not a Longhorns fan I can't wait til 10/6 -- I'l be traveling to big D in my Fit to take in the game! OU Sooners!!

Old 09-12-2007, 12:30 AM
ok, so I can take the plate off now and it wont leave any holes anywhere? Thanks for the quick replies,

Old 09-12-2007, 02:16 AM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
dealerships sometimes drill a single hole into the bumper to secure the plate frame. but if you are lucky they didn't.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:22 AM
mine has holes

Old 09-12-2007, 02:24 AM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Originally Posted by Tuna
mine has holes

same here

Old 09-12-2007, 12:12 PM
5 Year Member
To be honest, we can't answer your question. Technically, the license plate mounts via 2 bolts underneath the opening of the front grill, BUT, there is a spot BEHIND the license plate for a bolt to go RIGHT through into the front bumper cover. Some dealerships put a screw through there, some don't Technically, there are no instructions in the manual that says a screw has to go there, but some dealerships do it anyways. U will get mixed answers from different people. Personally, i didn't have a screw and removed the bracket once i got home because it does leave tiny vertical scratches on the surface. Either completely remove the bracket (if ur state doesn't require a front plate) or put some double sided tape in between the black plastic bracket and the body so u don't add to the scratches. The only way to find out if you have a hole is to unbolt it. Take off ur license plate (or paper cover from dealer) and take a look to see if there is a bolt going right through the front.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:29 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
The screw IS supposed to go there, some dealerships do it some dont. When the cars come in they have the license plate holders and the Hardware. You are supposed to use ALL hardware to secure the license plate holder, and the screw for the middle to go into the bumper IS included with the hardware. so technically it is not the dealers fault, and thats why if you have a hole they most likely wont fix it.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:23 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
mine has a hole too, but i dont mind. we're supposed to have the front plate on by law anyway

Old 09-12-2007, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JDMchris.com
The screw IS supposed to go there, some dealerships do it some dont. When the cars come in they have the license plate holders and the Hardware. You are supposed to use ALL hardware to secure the license plate holder, and the screw for the middle to go into the bumper IS included with the hardware. so technically it is not the dealers fault, and thats why if you have a hole they most likely wont fix it.
AHHHHH i see. I guess i was wrong. Thanks for clearing it up for me chris.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by JDMchris.com
That's not what Honda informed me last year when I called up. They will reimburse $600, well they did in my case at least.

This is the PDI instructions I received from Honda last year:

As you can clearly see, no where does it state to drill a hole in the front bumper. If Honda had intended to be a mounting hole in the middle, it would come from the factory that way with it pre-threaded.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:02 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Our local dealership drills the holes into the body kit to put on the plate.
They were great and did not install mine - because I did not want the
plate since it is not a law to have a front plate.

Hope you can work with them to come to a good outcome.

Cat :x

Old 09-13-2007, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
eek! i have a front plate, as Cali needs it. but i use some other plate anyways. just not as obvious as having nothign there. happy i didnt get a hole drilled directly in the middle of the plate holder onto my bumper, but since i have a plate only secured by the bottom two bolts, i guess it makes those scratch marks on my bumper behind top part of the plate holder. got the fit feb. and never paid attention to it but wow. . . well im not gonna go paranoid over it as the scratch stuff are there.

ty for heads up on double tape! shoulda used that right away but its w/e now.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jdmparts@gmail.com
That's not what Honda informed me last year when I called up. They will reimburse $600, well they did in my case at least.

This is the PDI instructions I received from Honda last year:

As you can clearly see, no where does it state to drill a hole in the front bumper. If Honda had intended to be a mounting hole in the middle, it would come from the factory that way with it pre-threaded.
Did anyone by chance SAVE this PDI? I could actually use it right about now, and totally forgot to save it.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JaySmith
Did anyone by chance SAVE this PDI? I could actually use it right about now, and totally forgot to save it.
Not to necro, but so could I. My dealership is not being cooperative. I want it fixed. I have been arguing for close to a year. Should I write a letter to honda?