Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Discussions about about exterior modifications, body-work, body-kits and JDM body styling

DIY Painting?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Take Two of Me & Don't Call in the Morning
5 Year Member
DIY Painting?

I have the base model fit and I found the lip kit I want for it. My Fit is NHBP and the kit comes in flat black unpainted plastic.

My question main question is: Is it worth the $600 or so that I've been quoted to have these pieces painted (front/rear lip and sideskirts)? Or would it be feasible to make it into a DIY project for a week(end) with some primer, paint, acrylic, rubbing compound, and sandpaper?

I don't mind paying the money if it's the best best only best way to do it...but $600 to paint a $200-$300 lip kit seems a little silly to me.

By the way, thank you so much to all the other Fitfreaks who have been so helpful with all my nub questions so far.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
Yes its totally possible. All you have to do is a little research and take your time. Do the prep work, make sure you paint it right with no runs and it should turn out fine.

I would suggest searching google or buying an automotive paint book from a book store.

Also try searching the website. I think KoolKevin has a DIY for painting interior pieces. Its a little different but the steps should be the same.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
Old 08-07-2008, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
if the link doesnt work copy this address

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...aproducts.html

Old 08-07-2008, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
the second link works the first doesnt...not sure why

Old 08-07-2008, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member
Thank you very much! I can't wait to try it out. I guess if I goof I can just sand it down and start over right?

Old 08-07-2008, 04:55 PM
5 Year Member
Sometimes a shop will lower the price if you do the prep work (hard work/physical work IMO).

Old 08-07-2008, 05:29 PM
It is possible to do yourself like they said just make sure you take your time and do a reallly good job. Yes you can always sand down and start over but don't restart too many times. Do you have somewhere you can paint and keep the item dry and out of the wind away from lots of dust etc.....

Old 08-09-2008, 08:37 AM
5 Year Member
My dad only parks his motorcycle in his garage so I could probably head to his place to do it. Actually, that garage will probably be the spot where I do most, if not all, of my DIY projects. If I do actually decide to go ahead and go through with this I'll post some pics up.

Old 08-30-2008, 05:43 PM
spelng > me
5 Year Member
I work at a body and paint shop you can order your factory paint, the reducer some hardener, some automotive clear, and some cheap paint guns. Make a simple paint booth out off some pallet wrap 4 buckets some cement, 4 seven foot sticks or poles or whatever you can find, some red colored scuff pads, at least 4 tack rags, 2 house fans and a rental portable air compressor, which all together should be less than the 600 and you should have most of this stuff laying around the house.

Scuff up the parts with the red scuff pads, which work better when they are wet and if you have acess to a water hose can actually keep you from dusting off the parts before paint
Then wipe off with the tack rags while using the air compressor and a air blower moving it in a back and fourth motion parellel to parts while wiping the parts down. use some sort of sealer or primer will help it stick better but since you only are going to be using scuff pads you can skip this step but a can of adhesion promotor will do a good job if you are a little worry about flaking

Fill the 4 buckets with cement and place the poles stick or whatever in them the day before so cement can dry

Rap the poles with the pallet/shrink rab all the way arounf from top to bottom untill you have made a fully enclosed booth
Cutting a hole in the top whith the fan sucking out and the othe fan sucking from outsinde pointed in the direction you will be spraying