Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Discussions about about exterior modifications, body-work, body-kits and JDM body styling

headlight swap

Old 10-16-2014, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
headlight swap

ive got a stormsilver gd3, and i was thinking of swapping the headlights for either milano red ones..or would the nighthawk black be better?

Old 10-17-2014, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
if yours are yellow, swap them for black ones. i think red would look silly

Old 10-17-2014, 12:50 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by solbrothers
if yours are yellow, swap them for black ones. i think red would look silly
there's a yellow housing? didnt know that :P yeahh i was leaning towards the black one as well thanks

Old 10-17-2014, 01:05 AM
5 Year Member
i meant the clear plastic fading to yellow

Old 10-17-2014, 06:22 AM
5 Year Member
Black.. . . .

Old 10-17-2014, 07:31 AM
5 Year Member
Black or dark gray would look nice.

I think there was a DIY here on how to remove the clear lenses so you could paint them...

Old 10-17-2014, 09:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
i meant the clear plastic fading to yellow
Oh the fading I've buffed out with a spinner, so it looks almost new lol but for the most part it's clear again

Old 10-17-2014, 09:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Black or dark gray would look nice.

I think there was a DIY here on how to remove the clear lenses so you could paint them...
I've thought about opening them, with the whole oven technique to soften the adhesive, but I don't want to muck up the inside or when I have to re-adhere the plastic lens to the housing.

So instead I thought of just buying a the whole headlight unit colored already, like the ones from Andy's auto sport

Or is the removing the lens a lot easier than it seems?

Old 10-17-2014, 10:03 AM
Removing the cover seems a lot more daunting than it really is. While you're in there you could also do a projector retrofit. There is a thread somewhere on the forum that gives step-by-step instructions on how to remove the cover. Like others, I vote black, not red. That would just look weird.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DWils
Removing the cover seems a lot more daunting than it really is. While you're in there you could also do a projector retrofit. There is a thread somewhere on the forum that gives step-by-step instructions on how to remove the cover. Like others, I vote black, not red. That would just look weird.
Black it is!

Also thanks for the assurance DWils; probably going to wait till after winter to do so :P just recently put in HID's so Ima enjoy them while I think about projectors what's the pro's and con's of projectors? And the difference between them and HIDs?

Old 10-19-2014, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by mr_RogerWill
Black it is!

Also thanks for the assurance DWils; probably going to wait till after winter to do so :P just recently put in HID's so Ima enjoy them while I think about projectors what's the pro's and con's of projectors? And the difference between them and HIDs?
Interested in knowing the differences too.

And like the OP, I too am a silverstorm, and im thinking of going nighthawk. Ill probably order out, for a clean swap, then take my existing ones and mod accordingly.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:16 AM
Originally Posted by mr_RogerWill
what's the pro's and con's of projectors? And the difference between them and HIDs?
Originally Posted by tbonedude
Interested in knowing the differences too.
Pros of projectors: better beam pattern, sharper cutoff, ability to flash high beams without harm to bulb, looks awesome, brings your car into the 21st century, projectors come in round or square shapes (I have square on my 2007 Fit), only costs $200-300 and you can do it yourself.

Cons of projectors: street signs do not get lit up because of the focus of the light, deciding which kit to buy, people asking you about them, takes 6+ hours to do it yourself depending on how skilled and/or OCD you are.

Projectors and HIDs are actually quite similar. Projector retrofits use HID bulbs that are slimmer than a mere HID retrofit (just replacing the stock halogen bulbs with HIDs). The bulbs do not get brighter when you turn on the high beams because the bulbs are already bright. There is a small flap that folds down when the high beams are toggled which means no added stress on the bulb for high beams like traditional HIDs. The balasts and the wiring are pretty much the same between the two options so there isn't much of a difference there. Check out www.theretrofitsource.com for more information on retrofits.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DWils
Pros of projectors: better beam pattern, sharper cutoff, ability to flash high beams without harm to bulb, looks awesome, brings your car into the 21st century, projectors come in round or square shapes (I have square on my 2007 Fit), only costs $200-300 and you can do it yourself.

Cons of projectors: street signs do not get lit up because of the focus of the light, deciding which kit to buy, people asking you about them, takes 6+ hours to do it yourself depending on how skilled and/or OCD you are.

Projectors and HIDs are actually quite similar. Projector retrofits use HID bulbs that are slimmer than a mere HID retrofit (just replacing the stock halogen bulbs with HIDs). The bulbs do not get brighter when you turn on the high beams because the bulbs are already bright. There is a small flap that folds down when the high beams are toggled which means no added stress on the bulb for high beams like traditional HIDs. The balasts and the wiring are pretty much the same between the two options so there isn't much of a difference there. Check out The Retrofit Source Inc for more information on retrofits.
PROJECTORS FTW. ive already got HID's installed with shields, would i just have to buy the projectors, like the housing i guess, and just put it all together?

Old 10-28-2014, 08:02 PM
Projector bulbs and regular HID bulbs are different sizes. Check out this thread: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...-retrofit.html for how to do the retrofit. View this page: The Retrofit Source | Innovative Headlight Upgrades for retrofit options. If you have any questions the staff at The Retrofit Source is very helpful.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member
thanks DWils for all the info!