Fit Freak Newbie / FAQs New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted. FAQs will also be answered here.

Cooling Fan on often while idling/Stopping

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 12:06 AM
Cooling Fan on often while idling/Stopping

Hi there
I just got my honda fit storm silver sport today. It's very exciting. The car looks great and handle like charm. Love it! But I found out after driving out of dealership that whenever the engine is idling and the car is on parking(engine is still on) the cooling fan is on every 18-20 sec and stay on for 8 sec. Furthermore, after engine is turned off I turned the key to the sec position in ignition (which engine is still off and all the indicator lights on) the cooling fan will be on again. Another thing is that this evening when I start to drive out of a parking lot (the car was off for one and a half hours) I have a vague glimpse that the green temp light was on for a sec.(I am not 100% sure, but I thought I saw that light on. Was I dreaming?! ). Is this common thing for the new car (only 73 miles on the car)? Does anyone has this experience on cooling fan? Any suggestions? I will call dealer to ask about this situation tomorrow morning. Thanks in advance!

Old 04-28-2007, 12:46 AM
Probably because you have your A/C on. The fan turns on to keep the A/C components cool. Try turning it off and the fan should stop. Normal on most cars.

Old 04-28-2007, 01:05 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
the radiator fan kicks on to keep air flowing thru radiator to keep the coolant to normal operating temps. its no problem.

Old 04-28-2007, 01:10 AM
The temp light will blink on along with the rest of the dash lights when you first turn the ignition and start the car. However, the high temp light will be a RED H. As long as the lights on the dash do not stay light, you are fine.

Ditto on turning off the A/C. I normally drive with windows down and no A/C, and the fan will never kick in. The second I turn the A/C on, I will hear the fan turn on.

Old 04-28-2007, 09:55 AM
Thx a lot, guys! Actually, the A/C is Not on at all because the weather is cold. That's what I am worried about. The reason I notice was because other lights were off and green light was on (I assume that one light which is on could get your attention)

Old 04-28-2007, 06:54 PM
What is the symbol for the green light? Check your manual and see if you can ID the symbol. There's a page in the front of the manual that tells you what each of the symbols on the dash means.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:51 AM
5 Year Member
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by seedbean
Thx a lot, guys! Actually, the A/C is Not on at all because the weather is cold.
You have to remember: if the climate control knob is turned to either of the Defrost settings (the two right-most ones) the A/C WILL be on to defrost the windows. The A/C indicator light will not be on but the fans will run when the compressor is engaged.

Methinks you need to take the Owners Manual out of the glovebox and put it in the Throne Room for convenient reference.

Or, bookmark and read it here:
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...01_OMANUAL.asp

Old 04-29-2007, 12:42 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Carbuff2
You have to remember: if the climate control knob is turned to either of the Defrost settings (the two right-most ones) the A/C WILL be on to defrost the windows. The A/C indicator light will not be on but the fans will run when the compressor is engaged.

Methinks you need to take the Owners Manual out of the glovebox and put it in the Throne Room for convenient reference.

Buff- good call, and well written!

Old 04-29-2007, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by claymore
Thats the temperature gauge such as it is. It shows greenish when the engine is cold then goes out when it gets warm. Fully explained in your manual.
That's exactly what my dealer told me. It was turned on about one min after I started car in the morning/cold night. Thanks a lot! I really appreciate it. I definitely need to put some efforts into the manual.

Best,

Old 04-29-2007, 11:59 PM
That explains why the cooling fan was turned on every 18-20 sec on my way back from dealership, it started to rain and air was full of moisture. I shifted node of the mode control dial (climate control) to the right-most one to get rid of the frog on the windshield. Since I didn't realize A/C has been turned on, although I felt a little bit cold inside the car, I just thought there might be a problem for the thermostat and cooling fan. Now I knew what happened back then after reading your note. I am really grateful to you for writing this. Once again, thx a bundle!!

Best,

Really appreciate your explanation. I started to do what you suggest me to do and read the link you gave to me. I think I will become a great owner very soon!!!!

Old 05-01-2007, 04:57 AM

On both?!?! No wonder it gets so cold in my car, and the mileage sucks. On my civic if you used feet+defrost, the A/C wouldnt auto-come on, only on Defrost only mode. Ill make sure i switch defrost off next time i get in my car