Fit Freak Newbie / FAQs New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted. FAQs will also be answered here.

Bought my second Fit !!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 06:35 PM
Bought my second Fit !!

Hello everyone.
I just found this site today. I have ordered my fit freak licence plate holder!
I traded my 2007 Fit sport with auto transmission six months back on a 2007 civic SI sedan. Yesterday I traded the SI in on a 2008 Fit sport with the manual transmission.
The local dealer had six Fits to choose from. I was surprised he had so many on the lot but it was nice to have a choice.
Call me crazy but aside from the additional power of the civic I find the Fit more fun to drive!!
I must say I was never impressed by the lackluster gas mileage on my first fit. I hope the 5spd will do better!

Old 11-11-2007, 09:26 PM
Retired Moderator
Congrtaz man! I cant belive you would trade a Si back for a Fit, thats crazy!! A Si is like a dream car for me. Was the Si a coupe or sedan? Was there anything you didnt like in particular?

Anyway, welcome back to the Fit family! Post pics of your new Fit if possible. Welcome to FitFreak!

Old 11-11-2007, 11:36 PM
5 Year Member
Hey - I traded my 2007 Fiji Blue Pearl Civic Si Coupe for a 2008 SSM Fit Sport -5sp, just last week!

The Si was an impulse buy for me several months ago - there was a great financing rate available, and a visit to the dealer meant only for looking, ended up sending me home in an Si.

The Si is a great car - but almost immediately after buying the Si - I was looking at the Fit.

Here why I switched:

Monthly payment - $100 less a month for the Fit
Insurance - More than $300 less a year for the Fit
Fuel Economy - 30% better on the Fit - Si also required premium gas.
Maintenance - cheaper for me. The Si's oil filter is a PITA to get to - I had the dealer do it. On the Fit, I'll change the oil myself. Tires are expensive on the SI.
Upkeep - I felt like I had to wash and wax the Si just about every weekend. The Si was a beautiful car - and the smallest amount of dirt was too much for me to handle. I would go over it with detail spray daily. The SSM Fit doesn't beg me to detail it every second.

And most importantly.... kids. I have 3 kids. They would all fit in the Si coupe - but man they would track sand and dirt into it. the Fit doesn't mind as much.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:39 PM
Retired Moderator
^Sounds like the Fit is a good choice over the Si for you, but im sure your going to miss that K20 lol.. How do you like your Fit so far?

Old 11-12-2007, 01:38 AM
5 Year Member
The K20 was an amazing engine. VTEC kicked in at really high RPMs (6500 I think) - so the car begged to be driven like a race car.

There are two problems that made the driving experience less than perfect in the Si:

1. Rev hang. The RPM's would stay were they were for up to a second after you released the gas. I had a 2007 and had the issue, but I hear the 2006 models were worse.

2. 3rd Gear. Something is wrong with the transmission in the SI's - and Honda won't fess up to it. Hundreds of people report the problem on the 8thCivic boards (best forum for SI). Basically, either it randomly grinds bad when you put it in 3rd gear (as in mine) or it completely pops out of third (I never had that happen but many people report it). The problem gets worse with cold weather.

The SI was my dream car too. The rev hang issue sort of helped when you drove fast, but sucked during normal shifting. The third gear problem just ruined any smile you might get while driving the car.

As for the Fit....

I love it. It is the Honda that I fell in love with many years ago. It feels lilke Honda's of old - great quality, functionality, and economy. The Fit's build quality is better than the Si. I've had more comments on the Fit in the week that I've owned it - than I got in the 9 months that I owned the Si.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:06 AM
The SI was a nice car. I actually had an 06 coupe first. My second SI was the 07 sedan.
They both had the rev hang, maybe a little less noticeable on the 07. I had the same third gear problem on both models. It made a quick shift into third almost impossible as I never knew if I had the gear or not. I have been driving a stick for 30 years so Im pretty sure it was the car and not me!!
That wasnt the reason I got rid of the SI though. I get bored easily so I like to try something different about every six months!!!

Old 11-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Retired Moderator
Thats suprising, it sounds like the Si has more problems then the fit..