Fit Freak Newbie / FAQs New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted. FAQs will also be answered here.

Fit Fan with Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 10:08 AM
Fit Fan with Questions

Hi Everyone!
My name is Joe, I'm 27 and I live in New Jersey. I'm currently shopping for a car to replace my current 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe so that I don't have to make car payments anymore. The reason I chose the Santa Fe in the first place was mainly the ability to haul cargo. I do a lot of shopping at flea markets and estate sales, picking up antiques and such, and need cargo room. I'd also like better fuel economy than the 3.5 liter V6 and AWD system gives me, which, while not terrible for what it is, isn't great, considering I drive about 1000 miles a month plus the odd 500 mile trip here and there. I've been researching a lot, and it has lead me to a 2009 to 2013 Fit. Now, once I sell my Santa Fe, I'll basically get nothing for it because it will all go to pay off the remainder of the loan, but if I'm doing my calculations correctly and I ration myself to Ramen for the next few months, I should have around $4000 by the time I'm looking to make the purchase.
Looking at Craigslist, Facebook and Letgo, I'm seeing 2009 and 2010 Fits listed for between $3000 and $4000, some with dents (no big deal) or needing tires or stuff like that. But the one thing that's common to all of the ones that are priced like that is they are all between 200,000 and 250,000 miles. Now, I'm currently in school for auto mechanics and I've been working on my own cars since I was 15, but I just want to know what the general longevity is like on these cars past 200k insofar as the engine, transmission, electronics, etc. As far as transmissions go, I don't know how to drive stick (yet), but I'd assume the manual is more reliable than the automatic.

Another big reason I'd like a fit is safety. It used to be that I'd go out and just buy the cheapest thing I could find as long as it had a driver's side airbag and anti-lock brakes, but two years ago, I got into an accident driving a 2000 Toyota 4Runner where I was going too fast for the circumstances while towing a 3,000 pound trailer, came up over a blind hill to T-bone a Dodge Nitro. That accident gave me a lot of respect of modern crash safety systems and structural engineering, as we both walked away unscathed. One of the main reasons I like the Fit is that it got such high marks from the NHTSA and the IIHS

Old 10-13-2017, 10:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Joey Giliberti
Hi Everyone!

Looking at Craigslist, Facebook and Letgo, I'm seeing 2009 and 2010 Fits listed for between $3000 and $4000, some with dents (no big deal) or needing tires or stuff like that. But the one thing that's common to all of the ones that are priced like that is they are all between 200,000 and 250,000 miles. Now, I'm currently in school for auto mechanics and I've been working on my own cars since I was 15, but I just want to know what the general longevity is like on these cars past 200k insofar as the engine, transmission, electronics, etc. As far as transmissions go, I don't know how to drive stick (yet), but I'd assume the manual is more reliable than the automatic.
If you're in school for auto mechanics you should know to stay away from vehicles with that much millage. Sure you could keep it running, but at what cost? Yes, the Air Force has been flying B52"s for 60 years, but how many parts have been replaced over time? They're selling the car for a reason. Most likely components are reaching the end of their life cycle and are needing replacement. Whether they have replaced a all that have failed or or will fail or whether more will need replacement is to be determined?

In regard to a manual. I don't know if it's more reliable, but unless someone was a bad driver on tore up the synchro in the transmission they are cheaper to maintain. You should be able to tell that on the test drive. Basically when the clutch wears out you have the flywheel resurfaced, buy a new throw out bearing, disc and pressure plate. Assuming the Fit has a regular clutch and not some modular clutch that bolts to the flex plate? Even then You just buy a new modular clutch.

I know its a crappy little car but have you considered the Mitsubishi Mirage? Last year when I bought my 2017 Fit I looked at the Mirage. Dealers would mark them down to just under $10K plus delivery, tax and title. About $12K out the door in Illinois. I would think a 5-6 year loan on maybe $7K once you get rid of the Hyundai would more reasonable for a student? You would also have a 10 year 100K mile warranty. Then when you're established either pay the car off, trade it or whatever?

Last edited by Rob H; 10-13-2017 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:01 PM
I know from experience that high mileage cars don't automatically mean boatloads of repairs. That 4Runner had 210k when I bought it and just shy of 300 when I crashed. No problems other than a few coil packs and a starter. Prior to that was a Volvo 240 that had 350,000 when I sold it, mainly due to rust, but it never gave me any major trouble. There's a big difference between 200,000 miles on a Toyota Camry and the same number on a Ford Taurus. I'm just wondering how the Fit fits into that picture.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:07 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
ration urself to ramen the next few months? lol. wtf, i did that back in college in my late teen yrs. you an adult now at 27... not acceptable.