Fit I.C.E. Threads discussing in-car electronics including audio, video, security, and navigation systems for the Honda Fit/Jazz

FIT IPOD questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 12:51 AM
5 Year Member
I have an audio input jack next to my DC jack (aka cigarette lighter). But maybe that's only on the Fit Sport. If you have one, you can buy a $5 cable and then play your iPod.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:58 AM
i bought the ipod glove box connector from www.hondaautomotiveparts.com
just go to accessories and it will be under the fit catagory. i ordered it last week so they should still have them.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:57 AM
5 Year Member
i've had an 30g ipod and when i bought the fit i went to target and paid $10 for an aux. connection, it works great and when i park my car i just take the ipod out so hobags don't steal it.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:15 AM
Text?

Did text also display on the head unit?

Old 07-10-2007, 04:16 AM
i too had the ice-link from my 05 accord and it works perfectly on my Fit. No words on the display or anything like that - but controllable from the headunit and it keeps it charged.

I heard that they're no longer making the ice-link???

Old 07-10-2007, 06:54 AM
Quick question.

My Grandad is passing his Honda Jazz onto me on the 29th of this month. Im pretty sure its a 52reg (2002 registered car for non UK readers).

I want to be able to play my iPod in the car as I dont really use CD's now. Whats the best way to get an iPod to work with this model Jazz. I see some threads say aux in, but im guessing they are only on the newer models.

If it helps its an SE CVT-7 Automatic.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:55 AM
Dension

Question for the Dension owners (Ice-Link). I have a USDM Sport and it has an Aux jack but I'd like to skip the holder business and just control from the head unit. There is no button for CD-Changer on the USDM Sport, just these five.
CD, AMFM, AUX, DISP MODE, SOUND.

So how does the Ice-Link control the iPod? Does it take over AUX and basically render the Aux mini-jack dead?

Last edited by stephanpark; 07-11-2007 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 07-14-2007, 10:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by RyanR
i bought the ipod glove box connector from Majestic Honda - The Internet's #1 Honda Automotive Parts Store
just go to accessories and it will be under the fit catagory. i ordered it last week so they should still have them.
But isn't this the same thing that people have been complaining about since day one...which is probably the reason it's no longer offered straight from the factory as it describes in my "Fit" literature? I'd love to keep my iPod in the glove box and all, but if the thing doesn't work well, I'll just deal with the AUX jack.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:28 AM
i wish i had read this before i bought an ipod interface.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:10 AM
Has anyone tried out the USA-Spec product with a Sport yet? How tough/easy is the installation?
USA Spec

I've just heard such varying degrees of failure with the Honda Music Link, that I'd really rather avoid going that route, unless the "updated" version really is a better product. Any reviews on the newer edition?

Old 08-26-2007, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by WrenInLA
Has anyone tried out the USA-Spec product with a Sport yet? How tough/easy is the installation?
USA Spec

I've just heard such varying degrees of failure with the Honda Music Link, that I'd really rather avoid going that route, unless the "updated" version really is a better product. Any reviews on the newer edition?

I have the PA11-HON2y ipod interface for my '07 Fit Sport. It works perfectly. I installed it myself; it's not terribly difficult, but I think I'd rather just have a professional do it. I've installed 3 of these things so far ('00 Civic, '06 Corolla, '07 Fit), and I'm pretty tired of doing them.

Regardless, the interface works well. My only gripe is that there isn't any good place to mount the ipod. I have the Proclip USA mount for my Fit, but it's not practical for me on the left side of the dash.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
...and by working perfectly, you mean that text display on the headunit and everything else actually works?

Old 08-26-2007, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by kz098123
I have the PA11-HON2y ...I'd rather just have a professional do it.
Will the dealer do these? I just don't wanna take it to a random install place and have them hack up my car.

I've installed 3 of these things so far ...and I'm pretty tired of doing them.
So, being in IL aside, I guess there's no way to bribe you to come and do mine?

...there isn't any good place to mount the ipod. I have the Proclip USA mount for my Fit, but it's not practical for me on the left side of the dash.
Yeah, I'd probably do the glove compartment thing, so that it's hidden anyway. I have the Proclip mount too, but my cell is already there, which is taking some getting used to (I keep leaving my cell in the car ).

Old 08-27-2007, 07:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DagerOne
...and by working perfectly, you mean that text display on the headunit and everything else actually works?

Text display is not a function that is available with the USA Spec ipod adapter.
However, I can control the ipod through the factory radio controls: skip forward, skip backward, seek forward, seek backward. When I power off the radio while listening to the ipod, it also shuts the ipod off. It's a fairly smart unit, and I can't complain how it works.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by WrenInLA
Will the dealer do these? I just don't wanna take it to a random install place and have them hack up my car.

So, being in IL aside, I guess there's no way to bribe you to come and do mine?

Yeah, I'd probably do the glove compartment thing, so that it's hidden anyway. I have the Proclip mount too, but my cell is already there, which is taking some getting used to (I keep leaving my cell in the car ).

The dealer might do it. I'd just call and ask one of the service advisors. I ended up hacking up my own car while doing my install. I forgot to disconnect the connector leading to the fan control speed dial, and thus ended up breaking it off completely. The end result= zero fan speed. The connector needs to be attached in order for the fan to operate in the first place (it completes the electric circuit), so I had no heat, nor air conditioning. It happened in the middle of summer, during a week when temps were always 90+F.
I called my dealer and explained to them what I did, and they were nice enough to order in the part and install it free of labor charges. I can't guarantee that every dealer would do that though. In retrospect, I'd rather have a professional do it.

I'll come out and mess up your car too, if you'd like

Old 08-27-2007, 11:37 AM
Text display is not a function that is available with the USA Spec ipod adapter.
However, I can control the ipod through the factory radio controls: skip forward, skip backward, seek forward, seek backward. When I power off the radio while listening to the ipod, it also shuts the ipod off. It's a fairly smart unit, and I can't complain how it works.
Yup, it's not a feature of the PA11, but for some cars, they're offering the PA12. The trouble is, I emailed them and asked about it, and the "12" for Hondas, isn't expected to be available for a while. Arrrg!

I'll come out and mess up your car too, if you'd like
Um, maybe I should at least TRY calling the dealer first.

Last edited by WrenInLA; 08-27-2007 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
To kz098123:
I just received my PA11-HON2y and I'm worried that I might lose the AUX input by installing this.
Can you help me answer these questions?

1. How do you access iPod from HU?
Do you press CD button once? twice? or do you press AUX button?

2. If iPod is accessed through AUX button, what happens to the AUX input for Fit Sport?

3. Are you using Direct Mode or Playlist/Hybrid Mode? Just out of curiousity..

I appreciate your time.

Last edited by calvinpark; 08-29-2007 at 11:07 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by calvinpark
To kz098123:
I just received my PA11-HON2y and I'm worried that I might lose the AUX input by installing this.
Can you help me answer these questions?

1. How do you access iPod from HU?
Do you press CD button once? twice? or do you press AUX button?

2. If iPod is accessed through AUX button, what happens to the AUX input for Fit Sport?

3. Are you using Direct Mode or Playlist/Hybrid Mode? Just out of curiousity..

I appreciate your time.
1) Just press the AUX button.
2) The auxiliary input still functions as normal. I believe you can cycle between either the aux input or the ipod adapter simply by pressing AUX more than once. I'm not 100% sure on that, since I don't even use my aux input anymore
3) I use direct mode. The ipod initializes about 5x faster than hybrid mode after plugging in. I see no real benefit to hybrid mode, because I can still choose whatever playlist I want using my ipod controls.

Good luck! You'll enjoy it!

Old 08-31-2007, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member
Good luck! You'll enjoy it!
Thank you!

Old 09-11-2007, 05:51 AM
I have a PA11-HON2y. Beware of hybrid mode. Direct was working just fine, and then I read about hybrid mode and figured I would get the most out of the thing by having it in that mode. It worked ok, but kind of buggy for a day, then it killed my ipod photo the next day. It just kept trying to initialize and read my playlists and never did. Locked up my ipod so bad that I could not get my computer to recognize it even after trying everything possible, so many times. Ipod DEAD. Sad Ipod Icon.

3) I use direct mode. The ipod initializes about 5x faster than hybrid mode after plugging in. I see no real benefit to hybrid mode, because I can still choose whatever playlist I want using my ipod controls.

I totally agree, I just got greedy and since I could have both at the same time why not take advantage. Bummed. My friend was daring enough to plug his in after I switched it back and it worked fine. So I don't know if it was because my ipod is older or what. Maybe it was just ready to die anyways, but I just wouldn't risk it.

Quick Reply: FIT IPOD questions