Fit I.C.E. Threads discussing in-car electronics including audio, video, security, and navigation systems for the Honda Fit/Jazz

FIT IPOD questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 03:22 PM
"G"
Old 01-20-2008, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member
just buy an alpine head unit. it will sound better and works with the ipod like they were made for each other.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:16 AM
Drive + Play installed, my first DIY

Hey everyone,
Been reading the forums for a little over a week now, thought I'd chime in and let you all know what I did to get my iPod hooked up. I just bought my 08 Fit Sport about 10 days ago, and I have used an Aux input for years now in my previous car, and I was excited that the Fit came with an Aux input already. However, I was disappointed by the various mounting options I had attempted. So, I decided to pick up a Drive + Play by Harmon Kardon and give that a shot. I managed to find one for under $25 shipped from a company called overstockdealz.com I believe. So, couldn't hurt right?

Mounting was easy, but I made it a bit more difficult because of my inexperience and low patience. I toyed with putting the display on the left of the dash, but the cable didn't seem long enough. So, I finally settled on the middle, and the wire drops down nicely to tuck behind the center console. The remote mounted nicely next to the handbrake, but getting it in there was a bit of a chore (mainly due to the bad angle for tightening the set screw to hold it to the base). All wires tucked neatly into and behind the center console, and then I just had to get them up and into the glove box.

For this, I removed the small plastic ducting that seems to vent the passenger feet heat and air. From there, you can easily reach up behind the glove box without having to remove anything else so that you can feed the wires up and out of the way. I mounted the logic control box with industrial velcro, and simply wrapped up the wires with zip ties and electrical tape so that they weren't floating loose everywhere. I'm sure I could have improved on the wires a bit, but I was getting a little impatient at that point.

BTW, I have the HK D + P 1, and a brand new 80gb iPod classic, and it works brilliantly! Couldn't be happier with it, and the sound is great! I stuck with Aux because I don't trust FM transmitters. The sound level seems to be greatly improved over just plugging out of the headphone jack. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to anyone as a quick and easy DIY, and a great way to mount your iPod out of the way.

Pics here: Fit Mods - a photoset on Flickr

Last edited by rudeboy12; 02-06-2008 at 12:32 AM. Reason: seperated paragraphs for easier reading
Old 03-05-2008, 07:08 AM
Old 07-10-2008, 06:58 AM
hey guys, just to confirm, the ipod interface made by usa spec that you can get at crutchfield DOES work on base and sport.

USA SPEC Honda iPod® Interface Connects your iPod to select 2003-up Honda/Acura factory radios at Crutchfield.com

amazing sound quality, and it has an aux input as well, for sat radio, or whatever.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:53 AM
Thanks for all the good info.

Alex.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:43 PM
I had the stock stereo removed, and installed a Pioneer Premier DEH P700BT.
This really was to get a hands free blue-tooth enabled head unit, as driving a standard, and using a cell-phone had proven a bit difficult at times.

This unit comes with a USB/IPOD connection, and wow, does it sound great.

I did try my daughters IPOD on it, and it worked well. You can set the head unit into a mode where the passenger can control the ipodfrom the ipod itself, or the default mode is to navigate all the ipod features on the head unit.

You can also plug in pretty much any USB memory drive. I threw a 8bg ($29) drive full of music on it, and it sounds no different than the ipod. You do loose the various playlist, album, artist search, but you can quickly navigate by folder on the usb device.

PS
Hands free works great, can just select the phone mode on the head unit, hold down the 'escape' button for a second and your in voice dialing mode of your phone. Just say who you want to call, and your talking, safely at that.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:04 PM
just installed the usa spec adapter in the base fit. works great, charges the ipod, gives me full control from the headunit, and sounds awesome. best of all i was able to install it in 20 minutes. the only thing i removed to gain access was the glovebox and then reached behind the HU and pushed the plug into the back.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by rabbitron
just installed the usa spec adapter in the base fit. works great, charges the ipod, gives me full control from the headunit, and sounds awesome. best of all i was able to install it in 20 minutes. the only thing i removed to gain access was the glove box and then reached behind the HU and pushed the plug into the back.

What is the model number on the USA SPEC unit you installed in your fit?

Last edited by Chicago_Fit; 08-11-2008 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by Chicago_Fit
How were you able to fit your hand behind the stock unit? There isnt a hole large enough to do that? I tried to install a USA Spec unit I ordered from Crutchfield last week. There is no room to squeeze your hand in behind the radio to plug it in, and even if you could, the plug that comes with the USA Spec unit doesn't match the available port for the CD changer on the back of the Stock Headunit? IF your USA Spec unit was able to plug into the back of the stock Head Unit on the Fit, did you have an adaptor for it? For which car was the USA Spec you ordered made, Acura or Honda?

If you have evidence of this working as you described, we would like to see it. After all you dont even need to remove the glove box to install it as you said.

I bought this based upon what I read in this thread, and It doesnt work. If I am missing some extra adaptor or something, I would like to know what it is, so I can get my iPod to play in the car.

I am not only pointing out that your information is inaccurate, but that others in this thread have said the same thing without any imagery to confirm it. You just happen to be the most recent poster on this topic.

Thanks

Chicago_Fit

i see you edited your post, but i'll reply to your original post...

first of all i didn't need any adapters, just like anyone else here that has installed it. i don't have the model number for the kit with me, but i'm pretty sure its the same one listed on crutchfield, although i got it off ebay to save a few bucks. nowhere on the package does it even say it works on the fit, but it lists all other model hondas and acuras.

secondly, i noticed in other posts people conneced to conection "B" in the following diagram:

the usa spec connects to the plug above that is actually between "c" and "b".

lastly, i can't expect everyone to be patient and feel around the back of the radio for the port. i took off the glove compartment because it was easy enough (two screws). i was prepared to do more work, but once i got to that point i reached up behind the radio and could feel the port with my fingers (i never got my whole hand in there). i fed the usa spec port behind the radio just enough to be able to guide it to the port and push it in with my finger tips. i read how some people broke tabs removing the radio and such and i was to trying to avoid that. it took a few tries but i got it in. whole thing took about 20 minutes.

good luck!

Old 08-13-2008, 09:45 PM
just installed the usa spec adapter... best of all i was able to install it in 20 minutes. the only thing i removed to gain access was the glovebox and then reached behind the HU and pushed the plug into the back.
i see you edited your post, but i'll reply to your original post... it took a few tries but i got it in. whole thing took about 20 minutes.
rabbitron, you are and awful, AWFUL person!!!

I also had Chicago's original post in my inbox, BUT I read it AFTER I'd already ordered the USA*spec unit. I can now see why he wrote what he very sceptically wrote, having just installed the unit myself.

I DOES work folks. Fearing removing the HU, I was elated when I saw rabbitron's glorious 20 minute claim. I ordered the unit. It arrived today. I rushed home, imagining that in 20 minutes I'd be experiencing musical bliss, and folded down my glove compartment door (just pinch in the sides, to clear the rubber bumpers/stops, with no need to remove any screws), reaching up and over, to plug in the adapter, and be on my way. Um, NOT so fast. The plug and the socket have to be well aligned to mate. OK, that's not a problem. I have average-sized hands, and they're fairly nimble. This'll be a snap! Um, NO! It is a TIGHT fit, and the alignment took, oh... I'd say about 47-93 tries. At one point, just before I started chanting, "I will not cry. I WILL not cry. I will NOT CRY..." I was racking my brain, trying to think of friends with small children, that I could explain to them exactly what their little hands needed to do, in the bowels of my dash. Then, in one magical moment, it seated. "NO! Is it...? Oh, it couldn't be. I think it is. Yes, it's plugged in now. OK, now watch, I bet it won't work. I DOES! It WORKS!!!" You have to familiarize yourself with how the plug FEELS in your hand, to be sure of what you're blindly doing, when you're trying to plug it in properly. The way that I was using, and eventually worked, was to take the plug up, and over to the top of the headunit, ease it down the back of the unit, slightly tilted toward the final position, keep feeling for the socket, and the 2 plugs that it goes between, and cautiously attempt small plugging motions at the position, occasionally using the attached wires, to help in positioning, until you overshoot it, and are now "plugging" at the air under the unit, before trying it again. There is a clip on the plug, but I never heard a "snap" to lock it in place. So, I pressed hard, to seat it well.

Oh, my apparently clumsy hands, got it installed in JUST under an hour.

Some things that bother me, are that the iPod seems to "stay on", and not go to sleep, when that car is turned off. It does pause, but never seems to go off, and I don't like the idea of it endlessly charging. When the car/radio is turned on, the "initialization" is a bit strange looking, on the iPod screen. I have it in the default "hybrid" mode, and it works well from the iPod, and does the basic functions that I'd want from the radio controls, although I'm not clear on the "folder" control, from the HU. I literally just did it, and then came in to post this (OK, so I'm actually supposed to be packing, and not installing, or posting, but that's another story). So, I'll have to play around with it more later.

Anyway, again, it CAN be done, it DOES work, and it sounds great so far. So, it's both with a little bit of frustrated hatred, along with a big helping of aural happiness, that I thank rabbitron for his recommendation.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:34 AM
5 Year Member
Griffin Autopilot

I just bought one of these yesterday to play my iPod through the stock stereo (aux in) on my Fit Sport:

Griffin Technology: AutoPilot

The features are: charger, with status lighting (Red=power but no iPod, Amber=charging, Green=charged); line out jack with supplied mini-stereo cable; two output levels, selectable by a switch; and reverse, play/pause, and forward iPod control buttons right on the charger's body. This last feature is especially nice, and unique as far as I know.

The iPod dock connector cable seems like it will run from the dash into the glove compartment. I wasn't able to fish it through in the short time I had yesterday before I got on the road, but it certainly looks like it will be long enough to reach.

I'm going to solder together a very short mini-stereo cable with right-angle plugs to reduce the spaghetti factor on the console, too.

A very good solution to the iPod problem! I'm really happy I found this (at Target, $50.) Highly recommended!

-tubegeek

Old 08-18-2008, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by WrenInLA
....I thank rabbitron for his recommendation.

thats the only part i read

seriously, i could have been a little more descriptive in my original post, but it does work great and the install can be done without tearing your interior apart. you just have to be patient and good with your hands

Old 09-17-2008, 08:59 PM
I also bought the USA Spec iPod adapter and it seems like a good way to control your tunes and charge the ipod at the same time, but it's definitely a bear getting it in if you don't take off the head unit. I'd say impossible myself - I couldn't do it at all, and I have rather small and nimble hands. They're all cut up from 15+ minutes of scraping and trying to plug it in.

I gave up on that and decided to pull the head unit and boy was that easy. A few screws, unhook the heater controls, wiggle out the head unit and you're done. I'd do it that way again in a heartbeat. Actually I might have just bought an aux in instead and soldered the thing on, but I haven't done much soldering and I wanted a plug and play solution.

I have the iPod plug coming out of the passenger side cup holder, where there is an indentation for a handle, it's a perfect fit and looks pretty good. Happy to have iPod integration back.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tubegeek
I just bought one of these yesterday to play my iPod through the stock stereo (aux in) on my Fit Sport:

Griffin Technology: AutoPilot

The features are: charger, with status lighting (Red=power but no iPod, Amber=charging, Green=charged); line out jack with supplied mini-stereo cable; two output levels, selectable by a switch; and reverse, play/pause, and forward iPod control buttons right on the charger's body. This last feature is especially nice, and unique as far as I know.

The iPod dock connector cable seems like it will run from the dash into the glove compartment. I wasn't able to fish it through in the short time I had yesterday before I got on the road, but it certainly looks like it will be long enough to reach.

I'm going to solder together a very short mini-stereo cable with right-angle plugs to reduce the spaghetti factor on the console, too.

A very good solution to the iPod problem! I'm really happy I found this (at Target, $50.) Highly recommended!

-tubegeek
That's what I'm using it's great because you don't have 2 cables coming out of your ipod/iphone, just one--- and then I got a Proclip mount with the passthrough (ProClip Mounting System - Adjustable Holder with Tilt Swivel and Pass-Through Connector)

that i'm going to mate up to the blank-spot where normally a coin-holder would go. I'll take some pics once i'm done.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Old 08-02-2009, 07:58 PM
USA SPEC: iPod to Vehicle Interfaces

sorry the link on the prev post is wrong

Old 08-18-2009, 01:19 PM
I have 09 fit sport with the USB iPod connection. I'm trying to see if anyone came up with a better idea to connect an iPhone to it. I don't want to shove the iPhone in the compartment because I might get calls. Right now, I'm feeding the cable out of the compartment through the hole beside the latch and resting the iPhone in one of the front cup holders. I would like yo keep using the USB instead of the headphone jack.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:29 PM
коллекция психологических тестов

Приветик
Вчера прошла тест, результат порадовал!
психологические тесты для педагогов

Old 09-19-2009, 06:04 PM
Reverse cell phone lookup

Iam looking for a free reverse cell phone lookup directory for USA numbers. Have you heard of any free ones? I found this reversephonenet.com but they charge like 14 USD for a cell trace. Im not sure how accurate the info they provide though. Any ides?

Quick Reply: FIT IPOD questions