Fit I.C.E. Threads discussing in-car electronics including audio, video, security, and navigation systems for the Honda Fit/Jazz

FIT IPOD questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 05:24 PM
Denison Ice Link for iPod in Jazz/Fit?

Does anyone know if the Dension IceLink plus iPod adaptor does fit the standard head unit in the Jazz? According to their compatibility chart it does and it is a Pioneer head unit?? Info here http://www.dension.com/oem1.php

Sorry that link doesn't work properly - click OEM under Compatibility from the Menu, then Honda.

Anyone have one of these and can confirm the pinouts supplied?

Last edited by eyemdee; 02-02-2006 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
iPod MusicLink?

I have a Fit coming in mid-September and I am trying to decide whether to get the iPod MusicLink or not. Has anyone chosen this option? How do you like it? What did the dealer charge for the install? Has any one purchased the kit and installed it on their own? Complicated? Or is using the standard Aux jack the better choice here?

Old 07-03-2006, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
From anything I've heard about or read about the Honda Music Link, it should be avoided at all costs.

Do not buy it. Use the standard Aux input.

Old 07-03-2006, 05:45 PM
Avoid it! I bought it and installed it myself. User interface is horrible. Consider the Harmen Karden unit. I-Drive I think it's called.

http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/default.aspx

Last edited by gguest; 07-03-2006 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
If you do end up using the AUX in, spend $30 on the ipod dock. The lineout does sound better, compared to the headphone out

Old 07-03-2006, 07:57 PM
I have the musiclink, the connection to the car and sound quality is perfect. But the menu use selecting certain genre, playlists, song by title, etc. sucks. I usually only use the shuffle mode which works perfect so it doesn't really affect me but if being able to choose the exact artist or song is important to you do not get it, just use a regular aux input.

Old 07-03-2006, 11:23 PM
Take two two inch strips of velcro and put them across the top and bottom of your i-Pod. Put the attaching strips on the two high points on the dash just to the right of the radio next to the glove box. You are now home free.

Old 07-06-2006, 05:54 PM
I have this stupid option it is not worth a penny. It never has worked right and I only have complaints about it. Look at my blog (the address is in my signature) look at the ipod category and you will see how it sucks.

Old 07-19-2006, 09:38 PM
FIT IPOD questions

-welp after 3.5 months of waiting i finally received my 07 Storm Silver Fit, anyways, i tried to get the dealer to throw in the Apple Ipod Interface for me but that didnt happen, also i have read mostly bad reviews on it, does anyone know of any aftermarket ideas to get this to interface with the radio, i use the aux and the power charger now but that is just to many cables to be hanging out for me. Can anyone help me resolve this issue?
Thanks for your help
Brad

ps...circuit city.com said that this would work out....any ideas? where does it plug into?

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Panas...oductDetail.do

Last edited by b_degenkolb; 07-19-2006 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:13 PM
Master FitFreaker
just use your aux plug and get a car charger it's the same way

Old 07-19-2006, 11:33 PM
-right now i do have the aux plug and the car charger being used, i just dont like having all the wires all over the place, i think with that circuit city part you can control it through the head unit

Old 07-20-2006, 05:32 AM
Short Answer: The USA-SPEC PA11HON2 ( http://www.crutchfield.com/S-obnbr4N...c&i=581PA11HON )absolutely works in the Base Fit and it's not too tough of an install. It plugs into the back of the head-unit into the CD changer port (14-pin) and is accessed by hitting the Aux button on the radio. You can control the iPod functionality directly or through the head unit - your choice. It also has RCA inputs for extras or for future use with a next-gen music player. I'm not sure how this unit would interact with the OEM Aux line-in on the Sport... this is something to test! Note that the item you posted from Circuit City is for Panasonic head units and not for OEM Honda Fit stereos (ie. it won't work).

Long Answer: Full writeup on PA11HON2 install in the Base Fit coming soon (with pics)

Hope this helps!

Old 07-20-2006, 03:00 PM
I stayed away from the whole I-Pod scene and purchased an IAudio X5L which, IMHO, is a much better player. Just connected the line out to the line in plug in the car and it sounds great.

Old 07-23-2006, 11:12 AM
I'd like to hear more about your experience with the USA-SPEC unit: Crutchfield says it will not work in the Fit or Fit Sport.

Thanks,

CC

Old 07-23-2006, 02:19 PM
Hi CC Rider,
For Crutchfield to update their product sheets they have to get confirmation from the manufacturer that it works, and I was the confirmation! USA-SPEC is located in SoCal (as am I) and I worked with their owner to install the PA11-HON2 unit into my Base Fit. Without a doubt it absolutely works. I have set for direct iPod control and the additional Aux line it so I haven't yet messed with the "Playlist" functionality so I can't vouch for that. I can say though that the sound quality is great and control of the iPod from the head unit is limited but usefull (FFW, Skip FW, Skip Back, RRW, Volume). I really don't need much more than that (I feel comfortable controling the iPod directly while in the car).

As far as instalation is concerened, everything is pretty easy until it comes time to pull the head unit out of the dash. There are 7 one-way barbed clips that are a bear to get to release, and this is made worse by the fact that there isn't any really good place to grab onto when you pull. It can be done however. I developed a technique using those locking needle-knose clamps (called Hemostats in the medical profession) to squeeze some of the barbs enough to make them come out, so this could work for you too. Also know that this all requires a fair amount of time, patience, and bodily contortion to make it happen but in my mind it was worth it. Once you hook the cable into the head unit the rest is pretty easy - there's no mandatory drilling or cutting or complex wiring/soldering (it's all plug and play). Hopefully this helps, feel free to ask me more questions if you have them.
-Matt

Old 07-23-2006, 03:21 PM
Thanks, Matt! I will pdf this string so I can find your recommendations once my Fit arrives (probably September-ish).

CC

Old 08-03-2006, 08:35 AM
5 Year Member
Any updates on the USA SPEC ipod adapter installation?

Old 08-08-2006, 11:29 AM
Update would be nice...The product sounds like the perfect thing for someone who bought a Base Fit: (The salesperson had no clue whether or not it had an Aux plug or not, I should have done more research!) But I checked the Crutchfield website via matt's link and it says it does not work with our Fit? Anyone have answers to this?

Old 08-08-2006, 01:18 PM
Sorry... life is very busy right now (I'm getting ready for Med school admissions test). Crutchfield hasn't updated b/c USA Spec hasn't updated b/c it is one car among many and this part isn't their big money-maker (they do CD changers mostly). I can vouch for the fact that it absolutely works in the Base Fit. The install is less than simple (pulling the head unit is a bitch) but once it's pulled the unit works like a charm. If you have specific questions about functionality or what not feel free to reply to this or PM me.
-Matt

Old 08-08-2006, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
Any reason why this wouldn't work with a Fit Sport's stereo?

Quick Reply: FIT IPOD questions