Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Problem with map lights

Old 05-02-2019, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
Problem with map lights

So...I was changing my interior and lic plate bulbs from the stock incandescent to LEDs. Got thru all of them until the front map lights. After trying to change them both. Now the pass light stays lit, the door toggle only turns on and off the drivers light. And the buttons for both drivers and pass, turns on and off the drivers.

its not supposed to work like that, lol. i think i shorted something out that links the 2 lights. i've got it working with the pass side map light unplugged.

And all the other lights work fine, I swapped out each of the other lights for the LEDs without a hitch.

Ive blown thru 4 fuses trying to figure out what the problem is.

It's kind of hard to see in the pictures, but the part I circled in each image, looks like it may have gotten pushed up, on the passenger side(the trouble side). Could I have pushed it up while inserting the bulb? And could that be shorting the system?

Is there anyone out there that has images like these of map lights that work? So I could compare?

Thanks for any help!

Old 05-05-2019, 10:57 AM
I've got a '16 fit and did my bulbs yesterday. Mine don't look like that. It looks like yours go in vertically, mine go in horizontally.

Maybe you can take tweezers and pull that contact out?

Old 05-09-2019, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member
Yea, I think they change the bulb type in the 18 refit, as videos on YouTube all show the 15-17s with the bulbs like you have.

I was actually able to find the problem, and I was correct that the contacts did look out of place. I pulled off the whole trim piece, and the part circled in the below image, was pushed up. I believe it was touching the bare metal on the roof and shorting out. I think the car uses the bare metal as a ground, as the lights didn't work again until the trim was back in place. But all I had to do was push that back into place, and everything worked fine!

Old 05-10-2019, 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by QuiGonQuinn
…. I think the car uses the bare metal as a ground, as the lights didn't work again until the trim was back in place. But all I had to do was push that back into place, and everything worked fine!
On the '16, yes the screws that hold the assembly to the roof are for ground.