Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Glove Box light

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 06:15 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
If you go to a electronic store something like Fry's Electronics, you can find different type of 12v buttons. They can be long, or short. (the button) Of course you want the short one. You can wire it up to where when you close the glove box, the glove box would push the button thus turning it off.

Now if we can figure out how to put lights on the visors, that would be neat too!

Old 12-01-2006, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gettinafit
Call me, we'll go to radio shack, and pic up parts!
Gotta refrigerator, just steal the switch from it, you'll never know if the light is on in there or not.

I did a quick search on Rat Shack's website and couldn't find a momentary switch that is off when pushed. I'm sure they have them with the home security stuff but I was too impatient to keep searching.

Old 12-01-2006, 05:50 PM
5 Year Member
Figures as soon as I posted I would find one. Rat Shack part number #275-1548. Can handle 0.5A at 125v should be fine for a glove box light.

Old 12-01-2006, 06:01 PM
Master FitFreaker
looking good and great idea man

Old 01-05-2007, 08:55 AM
One idea that would work for this is to use an alarm magnetic switch. They come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. The best part is they can be mounted with double sided tape, so no holes need to be drilled. They work by using a magnet to turn the switch off or on.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:00 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
I actually like that. I am sure you can get a pressure swith at radio shack or something

Old 01-05-2007, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
These Quik Brite lights have a magnetic switch built in, should be perfect for the glove box...
Quik Brite Lights With Bonus SwivelSpot Lights

Old 01-06-2007, 12:10 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by Raimondas
These Quik Brite lights have a magnetic switch built in, should be perfect for the glove box...
Quik Brite Lights With Bonus SwivelSpot Lights

Saw that the other day and was gonna post but I forgot what it was called.

I might have to order me a set.

Thanks for the link!

-Tomi

BTW: Wife opened the glove box last night and said "stupid car"

Old 01-06-2007, 12:29 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sy11580
I have a idea that you don't really have to drill a hole on the dashboard!!!
if honda would have provided a glove box light, they would have drilled a hole. can't be that bad. plus, who is going to see it? (the hole)

Old 01-06-2007, 05:05 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by TomiGunz
Saw that the other day and was gonna post but I forgot what it was called.

I might have to order me a set.

Thanks for the link!

-Tomi

BTW: Wife opened the glove box last night and said "stupid car"
I saw that on TV last night also, and thought "that would work pretty well as a glove box light in the Fit!"- will buy a set just to find out whether or not they take up too much glove box space.

Old 01-15-2007, 03:13 PM
Something to think about with switches...find an old washer or dryer switch (most appliance shops will let you help yourself on their junkers) ... a custom bracket can be modded to the fit. I used these type of switches for interior cabinet lighting in my home.... I'll get a glove box light to the Fit later.

RTK

Old 02-18-2007, 07:34 AM
Glove Box Lightning

is there any light kits or DIY ways to put in the glove box? i dont know why the glove box didnt come with lights, i though that was strange.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:02 AM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
hey everyone. I decided to change my glovebox light. I now have 2 lights called "Quik-Brite" i saw it on TV. It's just an LED that's controlled by a magnet.

Here's some pics of the actuall light:

I'll take some pics of them installed today.

Here's a link to where to get them. I can't believe that somethign sold on TV actually works!!

Amazon.com: Quik Brite LED Lights- Set of 8 with Bonus: Kitchen & Housewares

Old 06-13-2007, 03:50 PM
DIY with the Shack

Wow, those are pretty cool. It's got a magnetic sensor to work automatically and its priced to be nearly disposable. Nice.
Oh, here is the official link for the curious QuikBrite Homepage

Can someone post pics of how it looks and where you installed it? If I get mine first, I guess that will be myself.

Hm, only drawback would be replacing those coin batteries...those little guys are pretty pricey and if this thing is a peal and stick gizmo, I'd imagine replacing would be a pain.
If an electrical guy could wire up a board to convert 12V adapter to draw directly from the car's convenience lamps, this would rock.

But if someone wants to tackle a slightly more robust installation such as a neon or LED flood lamp with conventional trip switch, I found a neat switch at the Shack. Never mind what it looks like.

RadioShack.com - Home & Office: Home security & safety: Modules & switches: Directed 8608 Right-Angle Pinswitch (5-Pack)

If any y'all want to take a stab at it first, please post here.

Last edited by stephanpark; 06-13-2007 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:58 AM
I am definitely going to do this mod. I found a good panel mount, normally closed momentary push-button switch that should do the trick nicely for about $5 (see here for a spec sheet, it's the MSPF101B model). $2-3 for some diffuse white LEDs and a few more pennies worth of resistors and wire and I should have all the parts I need.

I need to figure out a couple of things though:

1) where is a wire that always has power or has power whenever the key is in
2) decide where is the best place to drill and mount the switch

Old 06-16-2007, 01:28 AM
5 Year Member
I put one of these "Dot-it" light in my glove box and use it whenever I need it:

OSRAM SYLVANIA - DOT itâ„¢ Lights

Last edited by charwai; 06-16-2007 at 01:32 AM.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:57 AM
I've actually been working on a universal glovebox/ultility light with my Asian contacts. The design has just been finalized, and it's looking very promising. We also employed a magnetic switch like a window alarm, or the quik-brite shown here; that means it will automatically turn off when the glovebox is closed and turn on when opened. With all the different types of glovebox openings and shapes, a push-pin design would not work as well for a DIY type light that needs to be universal. Our design uses easily found and cheap AAA type battery, and will have at least TWO bright LEDs to illuminate the box. It will be just as easy to install as the quik-brite, but much better, and brighter. You'll even be able to easily remove the light from the glovebox to use as an emergency/temporary light source or hand-held map light, or a really-need-to-go-pee-in-the-bushes light.

I know the lack of glovebox light is not just a problem with the Fit, but many other vehicles, most are surprisingly newer models. Normally the company I'm working with wholesales their product only. But I might be able to work something out. Maybe convince them to do a group buy or something when the product is released. Would people be interested in buying this product?

Old 06-16-2007, 03:47 PM
Hi j5ive,
I have some thoughts on your product. I like that you're using the magnetic sensor, it is much easier to mount/place than a more involved mechanical trip switch setup since solid state is probably more reliable (usually). But, on being powered by a battery? If I may, I'd like to give a price break down of what I think your proposed feature set is worth to me.

1. Same features as QuikBrite - $1.20
2. AAA battery type - $1.50 added
3. Removable as flash light - $0.50~$2.00
(can use Velcro on the QuikBrite instead)
So, I'd pay about $5.00 for yours...but I already bought an 8 pack of the QuikBrites.

My ideal solution would be a JDM Honda accessory that plugs right into the car's power with no more effort than what a dealer would do themselves. OK, maybe a little easier than that. It would match the trim design and use standard peanut bulbs. I'd pay $20.00 if Honda SKU, $15 if not.

Originally Posted by j5ive
I've actually been working on a universal glovebox/ultility light with my Asian contacts. The design has just been finalized, and it's looking very promising...Would people be interested in buying this product?

Old 06-16-2007, 04:01 PM
DigiKey? Thats cheating!

Brilliant Zeb, the DigiKey catalog, this is great. Thanks for the find, I've place the image here for others to start their gears going.

On the wiring of the thing, there are power lines going to the dome interior lamp that might do the trick. Hm, but without a rf-wire trace, it would be hard to locate this wire as it routes closer to where we will be working. Diagram link is below.

Originally Posted by ZebiFit
I am definitely going to do this mod. I found a good panel mount, normally closed momentary push-button switch that should do the trick nicely for about $5 (see here for a spec sheet, it's the MSPF101B model). $2-3 for some diffuse white LEDs and a few more pennies worth of resistors and wire and I should have all the parts I need.

I need to figure out a couple of things though:

1) where is a wire that always has power or has power whenever the key is in
2) decide where is the best place to drill and mount the switch

Last edited by stephanpark; 06-16-2007 at 05:06 PM. Reason: updated info
Old 06-17-2007, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
or you can directly wire them into the 12v connection without the need of a resistor and cut down to the size you need:

Flexible LED Strips

read all the documentation, this seems to be the easiest method to get some really bright lighting, white, red, blue? up to you.

Also, they are working on a lighting method to control the color of the light on the "million" version of their LED lights, which come with all 3 colors to make any color you want in any hue... maybe you can match it to the other panels in the car?

who knows, but i know for sure i want to change out all LEDs and control them with the million controller when it comes out...

Quick Reply: Glove Box light