Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Philips Ultinon Pro5000 on 16EX-L

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2023, 01:12 AM
Philips Ultinon Pro5000 on 16EX-L

Hi everyone, long time lurker here. I have a 2016 EX-L Navi (Canadian spec) that had really dim stock halogen lights as you all know, and I resolved to find a solution after almost hitting a barrier on a dark rainy day in a construction zone.

I detest other vehicles on the road with aftermarket lights that blind me when I pass them or drive in front of them. So at first I was looking at the usual higher output halogens like Philips RacingVision, but really did not want to spend $50 every year or two for a new pair of bulbs.

This site has been so useful in leading me to look at Philips Ultinon LED bulbs that were apparently engineered to be in reflector lamps but without the glare. Worth a try I thought. I couldn’t find any posts here with Ultinon Pro5000s on a Fit, so I wanted to make a quick post if it helps anyone out.

Overall impressions are extremely positive. It breathed new life in the car and it is worth every penny. Most importantly, the DRLs work!! I fully expected to see the DRL idiot light come on and have to consider pulling the fuse (which one poster here actually did not recommend as it could influence insurance claim in the event of any accident). But the high beam LEDs work perfectly in a dimmed fashion. Having said that, my home security cam shows a slow flashing of the lights in the recording, but there is absolutely no flickering to the naked eye. Very happy that the DRL works, and this upgrade feels really OEM.

The beam pattern and cutoff are also very sharp, and similar to the halogens. At first, I was slightly disappointed with the cutoff, as seen by the photo below comparing the stock halogens on one headlight and the LEDs on the other, but the cutoff became perfect after I rotated the bulbs ALL the way (such that they are actually not entirely vertical as per instructions). The second picture below shows the end result which I am very happy with.

By the way, the bulbs only fit into the supplied adapter one way, so it’s impossible to install it upside down. But for absolute clarity, I attached a photo below of the correct orientation.

Took a long test drive on single lane rural roads and on highways, and did not get flashed. Also stood in front of the car at a distance and didn’t feel any discomfort. I really would recommend these to anyone who is looking to upgrade to LED bulbs.

Stock halogens vs Ultinon Pro5000 WHEN LIGHTING ELEMENT WAS PERFECTLY VERTICAL (rotated/ tightened 95% of the way). Beam cutoff was not as sharp as the halogen this way but acceptable.

Ultinon Pro5000 when the bulb was rotated/ tightened fully, and the lighting element was NOT perfectly vertical. Beam cutoff became razor sharp and to my satisfaction.

A little counterintuitive but this is the correct orientation of the bulb.

Last edited by enzojr; 02-08-2023 at 01:19 AM.
Old 02-08-2023, 09:32 AM
Same bulbs I run in all of my vehicles. I love them.

Old 02-08-2023, 11:05 AM
I've also got a '16, and really dont find the lights that great. Awesome that they work with DRL and dont throw any error lights.

Where did you pick them up? I am in Canada also.

Old 02-08-2023, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by JPM86
I've also got a '16, and really dont find the lights that great. Awesome that they work with DRL and dont throw any error lights.

Where did you pick them up? I am in Canada also.
Sorry you aren't fond of them - have you been using other types of LED bulbs on the Fit and perhaps had a different frame of reference than I did? To be clear, my other vehicles have stock HID bulbs, and I would say that those lights are 'better' than these LEDs (more uniform coverage of the area in front; these ones still have a bright spot maybe 10 feet ahead). But compared to the stock halogens, it's just night and day, and surpassed my expectations of what a simple bulb replacement can do.

I picked them up from Amazon Canada - to be precise, I bought some 'used' XtremeUltinon Gen2s from Amazon Warehouse Deals (only $65 CAD vs $138 regular!), and they shipped me some Pro5000s in an XtremeUltinon box . One of the Pro5000s bulb had some scratches on the base (hence the discount) but I couldn't care less. The invoice says XtremeUltinons and no mention that they were from AWD, so I registered them on Philips and believe I would be eligible for a new pair of XtremeUltinons within the standard 5 year warranty. I speculate that someone had bought a pair of XtremeUltinon G2s AND a pair of Pro5000s, tried to install both and couldn't (resulting in scratches on the bulb base), and ended up returning the wrong item to Amazon. Either way, I couldn't be happier with a $65 purchase.

Last edited by enzojr; 02-08-2023 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-08-2023, 04:37 PM
I haven’t been using any other bulb types in the Fit.
I purchased the car about a month ago, after having a 2010 Mazda 3 with projector type bulbs. So I think it’s just a combination of lower wattage bulbs in the Fit and reflector style housings.
I adjusted my headlight beam up and that definitely made things much better, but I still think there is room for improvement.
I also want to have the DRL functionality remain so the Philips sound interesting.
I have also thought about upgrading to an Osram 70/65W bulb vs the OEM 60/55 to see if 10 more watts of power might help things better.

Old 02-08-2023, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by JPM86
I haven’t been using any other bulb types in the Fit.
I purchased the car about a month ago, after having a 2010 Mazda 3 with projector type bulbs. So I think it’s just a combination of lower wattage bulbs in the Fit and reflector style housings.
I adjusted my headlight beam up and that definitely made things much better, but I still think there is room for improvement.
I also want to have the DRL functionality remain so the Philips sound interesting.
I have also thought about upgrading to an Osram 70/65W bulb vs the OEM 60/55 to see if 10 more watts of power might help things better.
Ah I see that I had misread your earlier post. You were not happy with the stock lights but I thought you were not happy with the Ultinon LED bulbs. Yeah I recommend getting these especially for the DRL compatibility. Here is a direct link to the item on Amazon:

Philips H4XULED X-tremeUltinon Automotive H4 LED Headlight Bulb, Pack of 2 https://a.co/d/f64niLZ

Old 02-21-2023, 06:10 AM
Originally Posted by enzojr
Sorry you aren't fond of them - have you been using other types of LED bulbs on the Fit and perhaps had a different frame of reference than I did? To be clear, my other vehicles have stock HID bulbs, and I would say that those lights are 'better' than these LEDs (more uniform coverage of the area in front; these ones still have a bright spot maybe 10 feet ahead). But compared to the stock halogens, it's just night and day, and surpassed my expectations of what a simple bulb replacement can do.

I picked them up from Amazon Canada - to be precise, I bought some 'used' XtremeUltinon Gen2s from Amazon Warehouse Deals (only $65 CAD vs $138 regular!), and they shipped me some Pro5000s in an XtremeUltinon box . One of the Pro5000s bulb had some scratches on the base (hence the discount) but I couldn't care less. The invoice says XtremeUltinons and no mention that they were from AWD, so I registered them on Philips and believe I would be eligible for a new pair of XtremeUltinons within the standard 5 year warranty. I speculate that someone had bought a pair of XtremeUltinon G2s AND a pair of Pro5000s, tried to install both and couldn't (resulting in scratches on the bulb base), and ended up returning the wrong item to Amazon. Either way, I couldn't be happier with a $65 purchase.
Are the XtremeUltinon and the Pro5000s essentially the same thing? I really want to make sure the DRL function would work with either.

Old 02-21-2023, 08:27 PM
I am not sure if Philips began stuffing Pro5000s in XtremeUltinon packages since one reviewer on Amazon for another bulb size said they received a Pro5000 similar to me. Maybe order one, open it carefully and return it if you don’t receive a Pro5000?

But to answer your question, Pro5000 is the successor to XtremeUltinon and not the same thing. https://www.bulbfacts.com/led-kits/reviews/philips-ultinon-pro9000-pro5000-led-review.html

Last edited by enzojr; 02-21-2023 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-20-2023, 02:49 AM
5 Year Member
I just purchased these on Amazon.

Amazon Amazon

My question is, how do you install them while keeping the rubber seal? I'm also hoping they're the right kind for my 2009 Honda Fit Non-sport.

They're arriving in two days, so any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by mugen666; 11-20-2023 at 02:55 AM.
Old 11-20-2023, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by mugen666
I just purchased these on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.ca/Philips-Lighti...3fa44ee0553272

My question is, how do you install them while keeping the rubber seal? I'm also hoping they're the right kind for my 2009 Honda Fit Non-sport.

They're arriving in two days, so any help would be appreciated.
Hi, all you have to do is pull out the existing lights and put the new ones in using the factory seal. You do have to give the seal a firm shove such that the lights poke back through and become sealed. Take some pictures of the seal before, such that you know how it should look afterwards. These are plug and play units. Can’t guarantee it will work on your 2009 but I assume the two generations of Fit can’t be that different.