Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

LED 9003/H4 bulbs that don't suck?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
LED 9003/H4 bulbs that don't suck?

The headlights on my 2017 are dimmer than I'd like. This is a well-known shortcoming of the GK and one I'd like to fix, if possible, without retrofitting in projectors or buying $800 headlight assemblies from TRS. (though those suckers do look sweeeeeeet!)

In searching this forum, there are PLENTY of examples of people installing crappy LED replacement headlight bulbs that scatter light and generally blow as far as beam pattern goes. I'd prefer to put light where it's supposed to go and not blind other drivers.

Has anybody installed any LED bulbs in their headlights that...
1. ...actually work properly, place the emitters well, and have a beam pattern that matches a halogen bulb?
2. ...also deliver more brightness? (obviously)
3. ...last a while and don't crap out in a week?
4. ...don't cost a proverbial arm and/or leg?

Thank you in advance for the info.

Old 08-08-2018, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
1 = the beam is, close enough
2 = more lumens
3 = leds, so yes, they will last a long time
4 = not expensive

good luck with these ever coming back into stock tho ....
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ml#post1404246

Old 08-08-2018, 05:01 PM
5 Year Member
Old 08-09-2018, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member
Hmm. The beam pattern on those mini projectors looks less than stellar. Something to consider though.

Old 08-09-2018, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
its not going to look as awesome as the guy rocking retrofit projectors and hids. but, its more than good enough for most

Old 08-23-2018, 02:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sneefy
The headlights on my 2017 are dimmer than I'd like. This is a well-known shortcoming of the GK and one I'd like to fix, if possible, without retrofitting in projectors or buying $800 headlight assemblies from TRS. (though those suckers do look sweeeeeeet!)

In searching this forum, there are PLENTY of examples of people installing crappy LED replacement headlight bulbs that scatter light and generally blow as far as beam pattern goes. I'd prefer to put light where it's supposed to go and not blind other drivers.

Has anybody installed any LED bulbs in their headlights that...
1. ...actually work properly, place the emitters well, and have a beam pattern that matches a halogen bulb?
2. ...also deliver more brightness? (obviously)
3. ...last a while and don't crap out in a week?
4. ...don't cost a proverbial arm and/or leg?

Thank you in advance for the info.
I have a set of LED bulbs from AUXBEAM. Specifically, F-S2 series.

#1, do they work? yeah... but the issue is they are set up intentionally to not be identical to standard 9003/H4 as far as beam pattern. Instead of only raising the right side as a standard H4 would, it raises BOTH sides, just not as much as the H4 would. For this, I think the NF-S1 series would be a better choice as the design mimics standard H4 bulbs (bowl blocking some LEDs from shining in certain directions). The F-S2 supports DRL, not sure about the NF-S1.

#2. As far as my view from the driver's seat, yes it does look brighter.

#3.. I've only had it for a few weeks, so that's still a bit up in the air... at least it has surpassed the 1st week. If it means anything, I do deliveries in the evening with my Fit, so my lights are on a LOT.

#4 @$30 a pair, I'd say pretty inexpensive. Cheaper than Silverstars.

Old 08-23-2018, 04:20 AM
5 Year Member
Check out the beam pattern photo about halfway down this page, looks pretty sharp. There are a few LED bulbs that mimic the filament placement of the halogen bulbs, and those are the ones that give a similar upper cutoff line.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...amp-bulbs.html

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ink/3929/8565/

In searching you probably saw the first set of LED bulbs I had, which were very bright and had a terrible pattern. It made a huge difference when I switched to a good set. Way better visibility than halogen and no problems with glare anymore.

Edit- remembered where I got my current set, you can see the same arrangement of the LED emitters as the superbright brand, gives a similar pattern.

https://www.xenondepot.com/H4-Xtreme...led-h4-pro.htm

Won't recommend you buy them, though. From the photos it looks like they work about the same, but they're more expensive and the heatsink looks really goofy. Not that it matters so much once the hood is down, but still.

Last edited by hasdrubal; 08-23-2018 at 04:26 AM.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:45 AM
After reading this and many other posts about LED headlights, I decided to get the 6000 lumen kit from SuperBrightLEDs https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...set/4314/9633/. Installed and the brightness and beam pattern are exemplary. I called ahead of time to see what they would do with the DRLs, they said they wouldn’t “work” but I could buy them and return them if they don’t function. When these bulbs are in DRL mode, they fire the high beams just like the regular bulbs, but instead of dimming, they get a flicker like the German vehicles DRLs do. They don’t flicker slow so they don’t look like strobes but it makes my car stand out which I’m hoping will increase safety. I can’t recommend them enough!

Old 10-14-2018, 11:53 AM
5 Year Member
I saw those! They look well designed. Would you be so kind as to post pics of the beam pattern when you get a chance?

Old 10-16-2018, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
I absolutely LOVE my set from V-Leds. The low beam is crisp and puts light everywhere I need it to go. Now my high beams (which sucked before) just suck differently now. However with the low beams so nice, and fogs to fill in the sides, I almost never need high beams anyhow.

They're small and contain a rather nice fan, and are approved for behind-dust-cap housings. I cut a slit in my rear covers and so it's all shielded from the engine bay.

Couldn't possibly be happier unless I spent hundreds more.

Last edited by Spyke; 10-16-2018 at 10:15 PM. Reason: photo
Old 11-03-2018, 01:56 AM
5 Year Member
Old 11-03-2018, 07:57 AM
5 Year Member
Good luck! I like a warmer color temp too. Please reply once you install them. Pics of the beam pattern would be awesome.

Old 11-03-2018, 09:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sneefy
Good luck! I like a warmer color temp too. Please reply once you install them. Pics of the beam pattern would be awesome.
Thanks! Pictures may take a while; scheduled delivery is near the end of the month.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:12 PM
5 Year Member
Old Halogen vs. New LED - 2nd Gen (GE)

Old H4 - Low

LED - Low

Streetlights were included intentionally to show the other sources of light. There's also one above.
You'll notice that it looks really bright in the H4 picture but not so much in the LED.

Old H4 - High

LED - High

Couldn't have done it without this.
A small tip (pun intended) for those who, like me, have trouble with those pesky wire-clip locks.

Last edited by hotkey; 11-29-2018 at 12:31 PM.