Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

DIY Guide: Wiring lights along w/ the dome light.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 09:50 AM
5 Year Member
it looks nice. What color are those lights? do they match the lights on the speedometer and the radio?

Old 06-16-2007, 08:33 AM
5 Year Member
I need me some red oznium LEDs =P

wish they had the million color controller to control your lighting needs. but this is going to be fun, and that blue looks a little too blue for the interior HU and gauges.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:30 AM
Originally Posted by jl0r
..If you are going to do this yourself, don't bother using 2 12". One is plenty. Having the second one doesn't add anything at all. The red and white wire you can see on the right hand side is the one I fished over to the passenger side, and hooked up another one there...
how did you fish the wire over to the other side? did you just buy some wire and extend it or would i have to buy a second kit?

Old 10-11-2007, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cheebz
how did you fish the wire over to the other side? did you just buy some wire and extend it or would i have to buy a second kit?
You will definitely need some extra wire to install and extend your lights.
I also bought a second transformer. It's infinitely easier to extend wire BEFORE the transformer.

A single cathode kit at oznium has two cathode tubes and one transformer. If you want a single tube on each side it's worth the extra to get a second transformer as the wiring distance between light and transformer is limited and I don't recommend trying to extend those wires. (tiny & fragile)

Old 10-11-2007, 06:02 PM
LDO
Here's another question.

Is there a way to wire those strip LED lights so that they come on with the dome but ALSO can be switched on? Maybe controlled with a rheostat type switch to control the intensity?

Thanks.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:48 PM
confusion

on some of these pics it looks like your dome light isn't on but your doors are open and the foot well lights are on. if you switch the dome light to always off do the foot well lights also always stay off?

Old 10-14-2007, 12:55 AM
footwell cathodes

first of all much thanks to jl0r for posting the DIY, i would have had to buy the damn manual and figure it out myself if it wasn't for this guy.

took about an hour to do, but it was actually pretty fun, and they look great, even though the camera on my phone is kinda shitty and you can't really tell.

i took rcantu's advice and used some uv-reactive cable ties to tie down those puppies.

blue matches good with indigo, and it makes your shoes look badass if they're white lol

welp, that was fun, and i think i did fairly well and got the cables all neat and tucked away. again thanks to jl0r and i strongly suggest doing this it looks cool, it's actually functional, and it's fun and easy to install.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:34 AM
5 Year Member
wow! that looks surprisingly good! matches well with the gauges and whatnot.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:44 AM
hmm alright guys so what should be the next lighting mod

LED dome light
LED taillights
GE Nighthawk bulbs
Yellow fogs

Old 11-13-2007, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
Question: I bought some Flexible LED Strips from Oznium. I shouldn't need any sort of transformer for these like the one you need for cold cathodes, correct?

What about in line fuses? Will I need those?

Last edited by dbcmaster; 11-13-2007 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by dbcmaster
Question: I bought some Flexible LED Strips from Oznium. I shouldn't need any sort of transformer for these like the one you need for cold cathodes, correct?

in-line fuses are recommended for use with expensive equipment so i wouldn't use one in this case. also you shouldn't need a fuse to protect your car's electrical components because i'm sure there is a fuse for the cigarette lighter in your fuse box.

no you don't need a transformer because you have the cigarette lighter which already puts out 12V DC all a transformer does is steps up or steps down the amount of voltage. you just hook the positive to positive and negative to negative.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member
Is it possible to have the lights come on when the headlights are turned on? I know you stuffed the wiring into the ground and power, is it the same idea for the headlights or is that a different story?

Old 12-11-2007, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LDO
Here's another question.

Is there a way to wire those strip LED lights so that they come on with the dome but ALSO can be switched on? Maybe controlled with a rheostat type switch to control the intensity?

Thanks.
Good question! Yes, you can but it does get much trickier. That is exactly what I eventually ended up doing. Unfortunately I can't remember right now exactly HOW I did that. I do remember I blew a couple of fuses figuring it out. You will have to use a few diodes in the process. I wasn't able to describe that process clearly so I never made instructions on it. Sorry.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dbcmaster

Cheebz response was correct. You don't need any transformers for the Flexible LED Strips. Those strips are already designed to run on 12V, which is what the rest of your car runs on. If you have other lights.. it depends upon them. If they are made for 12V then you are good. But if you tried to power those strips in your home you'd need a converter.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rcantu
nice but i'd suggest tying those down better. since it's underneath i'd drill a few holes in the plastic and run some zip ties. i'd hate for that light to drop over your pedals.

just a safety suggestion.
I just wanted to add a thank you to Rcantu for this suggestion. My lights worked perfectly for many many months. But then all of a sudden they started falling down. I ended up strapping them down(up) with zip ties.

I drilled a couple very small holes in the underdash cover and threaded the zip ties right though. They really do work great.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
Wow! That was a really good article. Ill def have to do this... After I get my Fit

Old 01-02-2008, 12:18 PM
5 Year Member
I did my footwell mod yesterday, however one of my cathode tubes was busted but the guys at ozium said they would ship a replacement right away, i already did all the wiring so now i just need to plug in the new tube. I used an add-a-fuse to the accessory fuse, to give it some power, that way the lights stay on when the car is turned on, i was going to add a switch but without a good place to mount one i think it would look tacky. but im happy with the set up now.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:41 PM
Man, just the thread I've been looking for!

I want to add lighting(LED strips) under the dash for the floorboards/sills and in the rear floorboards, but I have a quick question for all you...

Are you all bringing one set of wires into the cab and tapping everything else into them? If so are just twist capping them all together? Or using some splitter(ie-junction box on OZ) that will make everything look cleaner.

Also, is there some magical, or not so magical, point where you begin to overload this type of electrical solution with LEDs(not looking to line my whole interior with LEDs... just curious)?

Thanks!

Old 03-07-2008, 01:54 PM
My Lips Bigger!
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Focus
Man, just the thread I've been looking for!

I want to add lighting(LED strips) under the dash for the floorboards/sills and in the rear floorboards, but I have a quick question for all you...

Are you all bringing one set of wires into the cab and tapping everything else into them? If so are just twist capping them all together? Or using some splitter(ie-junction box on OZ) that will make everything look cleaner.

Also, is there some magical, or not so magical, point where you begin to overload this type of electrical solution with LEDs(not looking to line my whole interior with LEDs... just curious)?

Thanks!

LEDs draw such little power compared to anything else in your car.
So load em up! Well not really you should control yoirslef.
But dont worry about them if its done coelrrectly there is no problem.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:29 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
5 Year Member
Yeh this was a project that was easy as pie... i dunno if pies easy, but you get the point. i go my cathodes from ozium and i extended the transformer and put it under the center console. Then i just made sure that the lights could reach, plugged them in, and was very satisfied. All said and done it took me like 20 minutes. lol niice. i'll get pics up later, although they'll look like the rest of them

Quick Reply: DIY Guide: Wiring lights along w/ the dome light.