Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

DIY Guide: Wiring lights along w/ the dome light.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by doubler2k
Ok to answer a few questions, yes the lights will stay on as long as the key is turned to the first position and you have the switch on. So it pretty much functions like a regular accessory. Plus you wont have to worry about running down your battery if you forget to turn them off. And 2. I will do a DIY tomorrow since I am off. If I get sometime today I'll try to work on a wiring diagram to get yall started.
did you hard wire it to a ACC (accessory) source like the cig lighter power outlet? i was more curious if you wired it to the dome like, but still had the ability to override it to ON at will via a switch.

i was looking into tapping the wires i already have with a switched ACC power source.

kind of what i did to my IS, for my Greddy Informeter.
i jumpered the cig lighter, tapped the jumper and put a switch in, then ran the power to the Informeter.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:54 AM
5 Year Member
Ok I wrote up a quick diagram to help you get started, Ill go into more detail tomorrow. First off things you need are going to be a Add a Fuse (you can pick this up at auto zone or any other walk-in auto store), some wire (color doesnt matter but I always use red and black to keep the confusion down. And a switch again you can use anyone you want from auto zone, the one I used is here
AutoZone.com | Shopping | Accessories | Product Detail - Motormite 20 Amps Duckbill Blue Toggle Switch

I decided to do the diagram in simple terms cause I know regular wiring diagrams can be just as confusing if you do not understand all the symbols. So here you go. Like I said tomorrow Ill add some more pictures and show you where to drill to mount the switch.

Name:  switchwiringdiagram.jpg
Views: 2592
Size:  25.1 KB

Old 07-31-2008, 12:05 PM
doubler,
thanks for the schematic. i see how you did it. looks very sound (better than my jumper wires from the cig lighter, due to the Add-A-Fuse). but it does not turn on with the doors then, if i am reading it correctly. right?

i wanted to see if something like this (see below) is possible. i dont think it would work, because nothing is stopping the electricity from flowing both directions from the swtich (to the dome light plug and the LED strip)

Old 07-31-2008, 12:14 PM
5 Year Member
i see what your trying to do, i believe that they would turn on as long as the switch is still on the on position, but I also think that doing it that way will cause them to turn off once you close the door no matter what position the switch is on.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:24 PM
doh. my goal was to be able to turn them on while the door was closed.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:28 PM
5 Year Member
As far as I know its give or take, The way I do it lets you switch the lights on and off at will as long as the key is at least in the first position. Maybe someone else can expand on my wiring and give you a solution.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:31 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by Lex_Dymndz
doh. my goal was to be able to turn them on while the door was closed.
Only thing i can think of is to hook it up to the ignition fuse..

Old 08-05-2008, 11:37 AM
i think i might have a solution...
but i dont know where to find the hardware.
a simple three position switch. like the one in the dome light.
i can to do the add-a-fuse trick to get the power for the ON position,
and i can get the DOOR LIGHT functionality by tapping into the DIY method discussed in this thread.
and of course an OFF position.

now the hunt begins for a three postition automotive switch.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
ok guys im a newb so bear with me...

soo all i need for passanger and driver side to install it is just ordering 2?

FlowLighting Cold Cathode Kits

cathodes... on that site? and im ready i dont need anything else? fuses/switches etc?... wires or anything?

edit:

oo and if i wanted to change the dome light which one would b best the size and kind from the choices offered here... ?

LED Dome Lights

thnx for the help guys

ooo btw ... https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/cali...ench-meet.html

Last edited by cKranez; 08-14-2008 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cKranez
oo and if i wanted to change the dome light which one would b best the size and kind from the choices offered here... ?

LED Dome Lights

thnx for the help guys

i got your dome/cargo here:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/sale...ome-light.html

Old 08-16-2008, 03:05 PM

Can we connect a female spade connector to the bottom right empty terminal (for power) in the picture (underneath the yellow connector)?

Last edited by danman281; 08-16-2008 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
Put a meter on it and see if/when it has power. (Connect black meter lead to a reliable ground). Try all key positions. Report back; I might want to use it, too.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:39 AM
Originally Posted by Lear 45
Put a meter on it and see if/when it has power. (Connect black meter lead to a reliable ground). Try all key positions. Report back; I might want to use it, too.
I would if I could, but I don't drive a fit. Someone else try

Old 08-17-2008, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by cKranez
ok guys im a newb so bear with me...

soo all i need for passanger and driver side to install it is just ordering 2?

FlowLighting Cold Cathode Kits

cathodes... on that site? and im ready i dont need anything else? fuses/switches etc?... wires or anything?

edit:

LED Dome Lights

thnx for the help guys

PM replied.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:06 PM
you can also always wire the switch directly to the battery with some toe connectors and even put a fuse between the switch and the positive of the led. thats what i did, and while it definitely isnt as neat as the above mentioned way, it gets the job done, everything is hidden, and the led works even with the key out of the ignition, with no parasitic draw.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
dude looks good man !!
this is going to be a great help !!
thank you

Old 01-27-2009, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member
I've been reading this thread for a while now and I'm planning something similar with the footwell lighting. Many thanks to jlor for the initiative!

Old 02-04-2009, 04:01 PM
thank for this diy it was great just finnished my blue LED lights and it looks great!!! will get some pictures up soon

Old 02-15-2009, 12:43 AM
5 Year Member
I just finished the DIY install of my own white footwell-mounted CCFLs too. The install is pretty easy and straightforward, but working in the tight confines of the footwell and dashboard was a pain.

Thanks again Great thread!

Old 03-10-2009, 03:21 AM
5 Year Member
sorry for the noob question..

What do I need to get if i want to hook up the Cold Cathode to a switch, dome, and my music? haha So many things.. I am starting to wonder if this will even work! lol I like the idea of the music control because the fact that it looks cool PM me if you can :]

Quick Reply: DIY Guide: Wiring lights along w/ the dome light.