Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

DIY Guide: Wiring lights along w/ the dome light.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member
Very good DIY write up.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:17 PM
Lol the funny thing is that those exact lights are in my computer right now. I thinking about removing them and putting them in my car because i never use them in my computer anyway. The more I think about it the more I want to.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:23 AM
I purchased an extended warranty for my 2008 fir and I was wondering if I installed these, would it void my warranty? Anyone know?

Old 04-03-2008, 11:16 PM
I'll probably put a one on each side of the front and two in the rear. I found some at Super Bright LEDs - Car Accents
I'll probably run them off the illumination wire off the radio so they turn on with the parking lights. I'll post some pics when I get them done. Nice diy by the way!

Old 05-08-2008, 03:47 AM
Great DIY

Thanks for the great DIY, I just finished mine and I'm happy to say it's my first mod ever. I just need to secure the cables when I can find some electrical tape >_>.

Maybe a mini-guide on removing the bottom panel would help. I was getting frustrated trying to work with the little room there is in the fuse box. Other than that, its awesome and it looks great. Thank you!

Crappy quality pictures, but I took them on my phone

Old 05-27-2008, 12:41 AM
Originally Posted by jl0r
If you blow a fuse when your playing with the new lights, It's the "backup" fuse under the hood. Much thanks to this thread

Just to reiterate: This fuse is UNDER THE HOOD, not under your dash/steering-wheel area. Just blew the fuse by accident with an ampmeter (I'm a noob :P), and was friggin looking for the backup fuse in the under-dash fuse box. Then I was like, "what the heck, this 'backup light' fuse is fine, what about..... OHHHH. " :P

Old 07-06-2008, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member
This is seriously gonna be my first mod. I'm trying to decide between the 4" colds, or an LED strip. The Oznium kit says it includes 2 tubes and the transformer for $7.99. FlowLighting Cold Cathode Kits You can't beat that!

Question #1: Has anyone installed cold cathodes, and think that they're too bright? (If so, I'll got to an LED strip.)

Question #2: Anybody have any lighting installed on their pillars, especially the ones in the back? (Either the back seat, or the cargo area).

Thanks.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by Lear 45
This is seriously gonna be my first mod. I'm trying to decide between the 4" colds, or an LED strip. The Oznium kit says it includes 2 tubes and the transformer for $7.99. FlowLighting Cold Cathode Kits You can't beat that!

Thanks.
Is 4 inches enough? I've asked myself that several times XD

Seriously though, All the other pictures show strips going across the entire thing.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
That's pretty funny CM. Hey, you on a 7 - 2 somewhere?

As for the lights, I bought the 4"ers, and decided to put them in my Mazda first. I'm a little scared of those exploding bags in the Fit. After I get them installed there, then I'll decide whether the ones for the Fit need to be brighter.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:41 PM
keep me updated!

Old 07-24-2008, 11:18 AM
well, since my GF lets me mod her Fit (she just doesn't want me to get crazy) I decided to do the footwell lighting.

It was a PIA. I was not able to get my 14 gauge jumper wires to stick. So I just stuck in the 10 gauge wires from my LED strips (Pilot 10" LED strips from Pep Boys/ $19.99 each). I ran the wires underneather the paneling. So you cant see it. It came out pretty good. But took me longer than I expected.

Here's the pics:

Name:  FitLights001.jpg
Views: 6342
Size:  20.5 KB

BIG THANKS to jlor for the DIY info.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:18 PM
5 Year Member
Right on, so anyone wire this to the dash lights? So you can possibly dim em with the dash n stuff? If not, think I'll have to start lookin at wiring diagrams lol./

Old 07-29-2008, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member
Can't see why you'd want these lights on with the dash lights, that means they will be on while driving at night which would be dangerous.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:48 PM
the footwell lights in my merc are on with the instrument/ dash lights.
but its dim.

i think he want to have a way to turn it on so if you drop something you can find it.

i am trying to figure a way to wire up a switch for them. but im lazy.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:22 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lex_Dymndz
the footwell lights in my merc are on with the instrument/ dash lights.
but its dim.

i think he want to have a way to turn it on so if you drop something you can find it.

i am trying to figure a way to wire up a switch for them. but im lazy.
oznium.com has switches... it's easy. connect the wire to the fuse or battery. somewhere between the wire and the light, cut it, and connect them both the switch... "power on, power off"

Old 07-29-2008, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member
yea, I'd just like a way to turn em on/off whenever and dim.
I don't think it'd be all that dangerous while driving though...? lol, not like my feet are that amazing that I'ma stare at em while going through town.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rod2Rice
Can't see why you'd want these lights on with the dash lights, that means they will be on while driving at night which would be dangerous.
I installed a switch on mine under the steering wheel, I actually did it because I didnt want the lights on during the day but at night I flip the switch and drive with them on, It actually helped to keep me awake during that 17 hour drive from florida back home to texas. For anyone interested I can go back and do a write up real quick on how to wire this.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:10 PM
do the lights still turn on when you open the door?
if so, please give us more details about the wiring.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:24 PM
yes please! I would love a switch DIY!

Old 07-31-2008, 11:26 AM
5 Year Member
Ok to answer a few questions, yes the lights will stay on as long as the key is turned to the first position and you have the switch on. So it pretty much functions like a regular accessory. Plus you wont have to worry about running down your battery if you forget to turn them off. And 2. I will do a DIY tomorrow since I am off. If I get sometime today I'll try to work on a wiring diagram to get yall started.

Quick Reply: DIY Guide: Wiring lights along w/ the dome light.