Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Dome Light Function

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 12:38 PM
Dome Light Function

My dome light works as if it is switched with the door only. I have no dimming. Is this the way it should be? The manual suggests dimming after a 10 minute time-out, which I have not tested.

And in fact when I get in, and close the door, the light goes off... should it not stay on until I put the key in the ignition?? This annoys me somewhat.

I have a brand spankin' new '08 LX in Canada. I found a thread or two on this previously, with no real conclusion...

Thanks,
JB

Old 02-04-2008, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
weird..maybe its a 2oo8 model function?
your dome light should have three switch positions. The middle one works with the doors, alarm and when you put the key into the ignition. I mean by this that if anything of the things i mentioned is done, the light should dim, either it is that it turns on when you open a door and when you close the doors completely, it will be still lit up, but in a darker shade. After some minutes, if theres no activity in the car, the light will shut off by itself. The side of the switch (in the domelight at ur roofliner) that goes into the drivers side (left) is for the ON mode, all the time. The opposite side is OFF, all the time. Does yours works like this?

Old 02-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Yes, I have the 3 positions. It is definitely in the middle, and it does operate properly with the door. That is, except for the fact that it turns off before the key goes in!

Is yours an LX? I have not seen any postings from people who definitely have non-sport Fits and who definitely have dimming dome lights. And then there is still the CDN/USA difference which might be a factor...

Thanks,
JB

Old 02-04-2008, 01:46 PM
5 Year Member
naw man..ive got a usdm sport 'o7 model. so maybe that could be it. lighting functions may be different between the usdms an canadian Fits. I have read somewhere you guys have daytime running lights, which we dont. So maybe honda went a lil bit further and changed the dome light functions as well? dont know, just tried to help

Old 02-04-2008, 02:51 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Originally Posted by unphit
Yes, I have the 3 positions. It is definitely in the middle, and it does operate properly with the door. That is, except for the fact that it turns off before the key goes in!

Thanks,
JB

As designed. Mine does the same thing (canadian 07 sport). Dome turns off after about 10 seconds with the door closed. And it makes sense. If you close the door from the OUTSIDE you want the dome to turn off don't you?

Last edited by smatts; 02-04-2008 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:00 PM
Aha! Yes, my friend, I do want the light to turn off... eventually. My not-expensive and now somewhat old Ford minivan does all this very well. You open the door, the light comes on. You get in, sit there, close the door, and hey - the light stays on! Now I put in my key, and turn it, and the light goes off. When you stop the car and turn off the key, the radio will still play (until you open the door) and the light stays off... until you remove the key. Now the light comes on, you exit the vehicle and close the door. And YES, the light is still on. Now, you lock the van, and the lights go off... or leave it for 30 seconds or so, and the light goes off. All this is fantastic, but without the impressive "dimming" of the newer cars.

Sorry for the length of my little story there, but for some reason you seemed to think I was a little loonie.

So am I to gather that this non-dimming inserting-the-key-in-the-dark issue is with all Canadian Fits, regardless of trim level?

Old 02-04-2008, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by unphit
You open the door, the light comes on. You get in, sit there, close the door, and hey - the light stays on! Now I put in my key, and turn it, and the light goes off. When you stop the car and turn off the key, the light stays off... until you remove the key. Now the light comes on, you exit the vehicle and close the door. And YES, the light is still on. Now, you lock the van, and the lights go off... or leave it for 30 seconds or so, and the light goes off. All this is fantastic, but without the impressive "dimming" of the newer cars.
thats exactly how it works in my Fit.
(i edited the radio thing off, btw cuz mine doesnt stays on as soon as you turn off the car.. just in case)

Old 02-05-2008, 01:59 AM
5 Year Member
I've posted my concern about this in a few threads but haven't got much response yet ... it appears that the base Fits' dome lights come on and off when the door opens and shuts ... I have a SSM AT LX here ... but I've brought this up with the dealership and they say it should dim ... I'll get it looked at soon ... Sport models in Canada seem to all dim ... but very few people have actually reported how their dome lights function ... I too wish it worked like the manual said it should ...

Old 02-05-2008, 05:47 PM
5 Year Member
07 US base model here, light goes on/off no dim. Sport models have the dimmer.