Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

LED brake and tailights install (lots of pics)

Old 04-18-2008, 06:51 PM
LED brake and tailights install (lots of pics)

I ordered some led bulbs from superbrightleds.com for my taillights and brake lights. I ordered two red 921x12 wedge bulbs, two red 7443x15 leds bulbs, and one red 7440x15 leds bulb. These pics were taken from my cell phone, so they're kind of sucky.

I replaced the top brake light first, I used my key to push in one the tabs and popped off the housing.

Next, I twisted the socket left to release the bulb,

I pulled out the bulb and inserted the the led bulb, I didn't have anyone to press the brake for me so I jammed my ice scraper between my seat and my brake pedal. LOL!!

I pointed it right at my cell phone so you can kind of see how bright it is.

I unjammed my ice scraper and installed the socket back into the housing and put the cover back on.

Next I installed my wedge and 7443 brake bulbs. I used a plastic squeegee thing to push the plastic away from one side to pop it open.

Next I turned the top socket left to remove it from the assembly. I removed the bulb and replaced with the led bulb. I used my door locker/unlocker thingy to test the light.

Again I pointed toward the camera to show (kind of) how bright it is.

I inserted the bulb back into place and took a look at my next bulb, the 7443 brake light (its the most bottom one). Again I twisted it to the left to remove from the assembly. (Yeah my finger got in the way)

I pulled out the bulb and inserted the led bulb. I again used my handy dandy ice scraper to check to see if it lit up right.

Cool!! Now I inserted the light back into the housing and repeated the steps for the other side. I took some pics of the leds after I installed them. The wedge bulbs have a 75 degree angle beam pattern, while the 7443 and 7440 bulbs have a 35 degree angle beam pattern. I going to take some night pictures later, once my wife gets home. I wish I could post some before and after pics, but I'm too lazy to pull them out again.

It kind of looks like they don't light up much, but they do. There going to last forever, low current draw and long life are the main reasons I bought them. I plan to get both front and rear turning signals, license, reverse, and parking lights. I might get white turning signals, just to stand out, and white front parking lights. I also plan to get some hids to complete the look. Lemme know what you think!

Old 04-18-2008, 08:01 PM
5 Year Member
Remember you need the load resistor for the turn signals. LEDs can't flciker like the stock turn signal bulbs do without the load thingie. I forget what it's called but usually LED websites like autolumination and superbrightleds has them.

Old 04-19-2008, 12:24 AM
5 Year Member
nice writeup
in for nighttime pics

Old 04-19-2008, 01:05 AM
5 Year Member
I too just got my LEDs from superbrightleds. Pics in the License plate light thread.

Im in for nightime pics too! esp of the 3rd brake light, as i already have the led tails..lol

Old 04-19-2008, 01:23 AM
Sorry I don't like the superbright lights. They burn your eyes out when someone with them drives toward you. Worse than actual having your brights on imo.

As long as you keep them in the rear I guess it is cool.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:39 PM
Here are some night pics, no flash, they are really blurry as there is a wind advisory going on right now and my camera is like 6 years old.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
wow, that's super bright. is that with the brake pedal down or just regular?

Old 04-20-2008, 01:15 AM
Could you please re upload the pics they are all gone I was thinking of buying some led tail lights, and this would help me figure out if i could do it on my own.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by Super Mario
wow, that's super bright. is that with the brake pedal down or just regular?
The top one is with the lights one and the bottom is with the brake pedal pressed. They are quite vivid at night, they stand out from quite a distance. Kind of like the leds the cop cars use.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:09 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
That LED replacement was probably not the best choice for the 3rd brake light, since it shoots all it's light forward, you can see in the image that it lights up mostly on the right hand side and not evenly distributed. You need to get a LED replacement that has 180 degree viewing angle, IMO.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by smatts
That LED replacement was probably not the best choice for the 3rd brake light, since it shoots all it's light forward, you can see in the image that it lights up mostly on the right hand side and not evenly distributed. You need to get a LED replacement that has 180 degree viewing angle, IMO.
Yeah, I noticed that.
Maybe I'll just do the Jdm style led mod that I saw on this forum. I didn't see the thread until after I ordered the led bulbs. Oh well, maybe I'll have it spell out something I like. Thanks for the feedback!!