Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

HIDs flickering and cr@pping out? Not sure what to do

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 05:24 PM
HIDs flickering and cr@pping out? Not sure what to do

I was just about to turn onto my street after driving a dark 1.5 hours back from the familys house for turkey-day when my lights began to flicker slightly. I pulled up into a space and the lights looked to have just shut off (thank god it didn't happen on the drive home!). Anyways, after checking back a few hours later, the fogs appear to be working but when the full lights are turned on, nothing happens.

I installed some HIDs about a year ago and haven't had a single problem until now. Does this sound like it could be a problem with the ballasts or maybe the bulbs? Both lights are effected so that threw me off, one or the other I could understand... but both?

Old 11-28-2008, 05:54 PM
Fit Gadget Freak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by matt7277
I was just about to turn onto my street after driving a dark 1.5 hours back from the familys house for turkey-day when my lights began to flicker slightly. I pulled up into a space and the lights looked to have just shut off (thank god it didn't happen on the drive home!). Anyways, after checking back a few hours later, the fogs appear to be working but when the full lights are turned on, nothing happens.

I installed some HIDs about a year ago and haven't had a single problem until now. Does this sound like it could be a problem with the ballasts or maybe the bulbs? Both lights are effected so that threw me off, one or the other I could understand... but both?
No expert, here, but check your ground wire.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by theloxmyth
No expert, here, but check your ground wire.

The ground wire was my first thought too, I'll be taking it off and securing it again in my morning, lets see if that changes anything. Damn i wish i had a garage

Old 11-28-2008, 06:08 PM
Fit Gadget Freak
5 Year Member
The ground wire was my first thought too, I'll be taking it off and securing it again in my morning, lets see if that changes anything. Damn i wish i had a garage
You can borrow mine, but its unheated.

Philly ain't that far.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:15 PM
You can borrow mine, but its unheated.

Philly ain't that far.
I almost ened up in Pittsburgh this weekend for a show at the Brillobox tomorrow night (El Ten Elevn!), too bad its like 6 hours away! :-p

i dont feel comfortable ripping the front bumper off in west philly with plenty of onlookers who'd happingly return later that evening to jack the whole car thinking that ride was tricked outt

Old 11-28-2008, 06:24 PM
Fit Gadget Freak
5 Year Member
I almost ened up in Pittsburgh this weekend for a show at the Brillobox tomorrow night (El Ten Elevn!), too bad its like 6 hours away! :-p
We (she) freaked when our kid told her he was driving from Catholic U, in DC, to Penn State for their football game last week, and it was only 4 hours!

i dont feel comfortable ripping the front bumper off in west philly with plenty of onlookers who'd happingly return later that evening to jack the whole car thinking that ride was tricked outt
I feel your pain!

Old 11-30-2008, 02:14 PM
Fit Gadget Freak
5 Year Member
Question Ground wire, hopefully?

...and?

Ground wire, hopefully?

Old 11-30-2008, 02:40 PM
...and?

Ground wire, hopefully?

term papers are a pain in the arse! I haven't moved away from this computer for the last day. Will probably have to wait until tomorrow. Damn!

Old 11-30-2008, 03:07 PM
Fit Gadget Freak
5 Year Member
Thumbs up Yep!

term papers are a pain in the arse! I haven't moved away from this computer for the last day. Will probably have to wait until tomorrow. Damn!
Yeah, my one son was doing architecture stuff, into the night, and left for CUA this AM.

He JUST called saying that he left his dorm key here, but that someone was coming to his rescue there in DC.

We're USPS Priority mailing "care packages" to all of our church's college students, so we can include his key in it!

He ought to have it by Wednesday.

We're taking our younger son back to Pitt, downtown, after the Blitzburgh Steelers game.

Do well for yourself. It only effects your future, my friend.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:18 PM
Yeah, my one son was doing architecture stuff, into the night, and left for CUA this AM.

He JUST called saying that he left his dorm key here, but that someone was coming to his rescue there in DC.

We're USPS Priority mailing "care packages" to all of our church's college students, so we can include his key in it!

He ought to have it by Wednesday.

We're taking our younger son back to Pitt, downtown, after the Blitzburgh Steelers game.

Do well for yourself. It only effects your future, my friend.
ha oh man, the lost key! luckily he's got that "care package" coming soon. this time of the year is harsh so i feel your children's pain. Thanks for the inspirational words and I'll get an update out when i can check that ground wire *cross my fingers thats the problem!*

Old 11-30-2008, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member
check all the connections this happened to me too. it had some crusty shit in there like battery gunk. also the wires on mine are weird i had to bend them a certain way cause i guess the connections are getting loose.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by redrumm
check all the connections this happened to me too. it had some crusty shit in there like battery gunk. also the wires on mine are weird i had to bend them a certain way cause i guess the connections are getting loose.
Lets hope this is all there is to it!

Old 01-07-2009, 09:52 AM
The end of the term and holidays made my internet-ing very limited. I was able to check all the connections and fasten everything tightly, I replaced the inline fuses to the ballast and wah la my lights are back in action! Whew!