Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Another problem with my hids..help?

Old 07-25-2009, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
Another problem with my hids..help?

UPDATE:

My Problem:
I turn the lights on and both light up. After a few minutes, drivers side turns off. If I turn the lights off for a few minutes and turn them back on, they both come on...then after a few minutes, drivers side turns off.

Heres What I have done to troubleshoot: 1st I tried swapping ballasts. My thoughts were that if I had a faulty ballast the problem would follow the ballast. The problem stayed on the drivers side after swapping ballasts. 2nd I thought its the bulb. After swapping the bulbs, the problem stayed on the drivers side. 3rd I thought maybe the ballast was over heating (both were in the engine bay; driver side was wedged between battery and stock air box). So today, I removed the bumper and put both ballasts in the frame cubby by the headlights and moved the grounds to the stock grounding points there. Same problem and still on drivers side. Then I looked at the wire harness controller (the black thing that all the wires go into.

After the drivers side light went out, I turned the lights off and then turned them on. I then flicked/tapped the controller with my finger and the drivers side light flickered with each flick/tap then it just turned off. I tired this a few different times with the same result. I just contacted VVME to see about a replacement. I'm tempted to crack that controller open and start soldering wires together but that always turns out bad in the end. I just wish there was a way to make my own controller or bypass/hardwire it.

Maybe I need to put some relays?

Silver Stars are looking better and better right now. Sucks to be without a drivers side headlight not to mention having the problem in the first place.

/UPDATE

Ok, I've had my hids for about a year. They are the VVME bixenon plug and plays. They are the same as all the other probably.

Anyways, I recently moved to PA from Atlanta and the roads in PA are definitely worse than Atlanta. They are far more bumpy than I am used too but no biggie. That is until I noticed my drivers side headlight start flickering over bumpy areas of road. It would flicker but stay on.

I decided to take a look at it this evening and do some trouble shooting. So I pulled the drivers side wheel skins and jiggled the bulb but the bulb stayed lit. Then I kinda banged on the wheel skin to simulate a bumpy road as best I can...bulb stayed lit. I stood up and the light turned off but the pass side stayed lit. I turned the lights off and then back on and both lit up. After about 10 minutes, the drivers side turned off again. I swapped the ballast with an old ballast but that didnt even turn the light on.

All connections are tight and the ground is good. Both ballasts were hot after driving but the pass side has never had a problem. I think I am going to swap out the pass side ballast with the drivers side and see if the passenger side flickers or goes out.

*UPDATE* I swapped the ballasts from driver to passenger expecting the flickering to move to the pass side but the flickering stayed on the drivers side. Now I think its the bulb going out.

Anyone have any ideas or think they know the problem?

Last edited by ReeSpeed; 08-21-2009 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:56 AM
5 Year Member
Sounds like you have it pretty well figured out! Good troubleshooting so far. Maybe try switching the bulbs around and see if the flicker goes with it or stays. Then you'll know for sure whether it's the bulb or the wiring on that side.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member
yep sounds like the bulbs going on, same thing happened to me, so i ordered another set of bulbs, fixed it perfectly. i also swapped out the ballest and all the wiring to start over new so that might of helped too hahahahahahaha . but ya i had this problem with mine when i first got my bixenon kit, i didnt have the same problem with the regular low beam kit but now that its fixed than it works perfect, so was it the bulb or something else? did you figure it out?

Old 08-13-2009, 10:28 AM
5 Year Member
Actually, I just kinda stopped driving the fit at night for the time being. I'll probably swap the bulbs from drivers side to passenger side and see if the problem changes sides. That ought to rule out wiring problems I suppose. Then I'll order replacement bulbs.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
bump for update

Old 08-22-2009, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ReeSpeed
bump for update
so wat was the problem?

Old 08-22-2009, 03:29 PM
5 Year Member
Then I looked at the wire harness controller (the black thing that all the wires go into.

After the drivers side light went out, I turned the lights off and then turned them on. I then flicked/tapped the controller with my finger and the drivers side light flickered with each flick/tap then it just turned off. I tired this a few different times with the same result. I just contacted VVME to see about a replacement. I'm tempted to crack that controller open and start soldering wires together but that always turns out bad in the end. I just wish there was a way to make my own controller or bypass/hardwire it.

Maybe I need to put some relays?

Basically I think my harness controller has some bad connections or something. If I flick the controller with my finger, the drivers side light flickers but not the passenger side which explains my drivers side flickering over bumps. Trying to get a replacement controller but VVME hasnt responded to my email. Can you take a picture of your controller so I can compare your wiring with mine? Mine has a sticker schematic on it with wiring...just need to find a controller wired the same to replace it with.

EDIT: As much as I like the hids, I am having just too many problems with them and its annoying as hell....Ill go back to silver stars tomorrow and just do a full projecter retro later.

Last edited by ReeSpeed; 08-22-2009 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
No silverstars bud ive had three sets burn out on me in like 2 months. Worst things money can buy. I had my controller on one of my hid kits go out or just stop working on my buddies hid kit. I ordered him a new one and they worked fine

Basically I think my harness controller has some bad connections or something. If I flick the controller with my finger, the drivers side light flickers but not the passenger side which explains my drivers side flickering over bumps. Trying to get a replacement controller but VVME hasnt responded to my email. Can you take a picture of your controller so I can compare your wiring with mine? Mine has a sticker schematic on it with wiring...just need to find a controller wired the same to replace it with.

EDIT: As much as I like the hids, I am having just too many problems with them and its annoying as hell....Ill go back to silver stars tomorrow and just do a full projecter retro later.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:21 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Very wise decision. These kits are nothing but problems and glare. Try Osram Nightbreaker bulbs, they are the brightest halogen bulb in the market. I ran PIAA's extreme whites for a while and they were also good.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
Very wise decision. These kits are nothing but problems and glare. Try Osram Nightbreaker bulbs, they are the brightest halogen bulb in the market. I ran PIAA's extreme whites for a while and they were also good.
good alternative, just stay away from silverstars, big waste a money! thanx qbmurderer13 for pointing that one out.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
Cool, thanks qbmurderer13 and xonexlifex for the info. Ill look for some osrams.

*Edit* Just ordered a set of osram nightbreakers!

Last edited by ReeSpeed; 08-26-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:11 AM
5 Year Member
I just got the osrams installed and now Im happy. I still have all the hid wiring in the engine bay but nothing is hooked up. Im too lazy right now to rip it all off right now.

Anyhows, thanks for the suggestions. Now there is 1 less pnp hid kit out there.