Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

What is the best way to Aim/position fog lights. Not sure if they're aimed too high.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
Talking What is the best way to Aim/position fog lights. Not sure if they're aimed too high.

Hi guys. So I was wondering what is the best way to aim/position my fog lights. While im driving at night, I can only see the cut off of my head lights. I don't see the yellow of the foglights past the white head lights. But when I drive within 15-20 feet of signs(ie: stop sign, MPH signs) on the sidewalk to the right, they illuminate yellow. So I'm not sure if they are aimed too high.

Since I cannot see the yellow(fogs) beyond the white(head lights)directly in front, But I CAN see taller objects reflecting yellow to the sides of the car. Thanks!

Last edited by AnlDyxp_GD3; 04-07-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:23 PM
You would probably be getting the "high beam flash" and the one finger salute if they were really off! I positioned mine eight inches below the headlights center of brightness at a distance of six feet on my garage door and they have worked perfectly ever since. This is with HIDs BTW. Hope that helps....

Old 04-07-2010, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by grtpumpkin
You would probably be getting the "high beam flash" and the one finger salute if they were really off! I positioned mine eight inches below the headlights center of brightness at a distance of six feet on my garage door and they have worked perfectly ever since. This is with HIDs BTW. Hope that helps....
Cool. Thanks mang. HAHA, Yeah, I dont wear my glasses at night so I probably wouldnt be able to notice the one finger salute. No high beam flashing at me though. The first night I was driving with them, I wasnt used to all the extra vision in the dark. So I was driving on the freeway and I noticed alot of people were getting out of my way. So I thought I might have been blinding them through the rear view mirror. But than again I was hauling ass so maybe it was just a coincidence. I will try your positioning method when i get home form work. Thanks buddy.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:26 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah while at night or in ur garage turn the lights on and adjust them so that they are were you like...you'll be doing a lot of "musical chairs" until you get it right

Old 04-08-2010, 11:39 AM
Here's what I would do. Its best to wait til its either already dark, or when its dark enough outside that you can see the cutoff on your garage, or where ever you have to work. This is what you should see sitting straight in front of you on a wall. When driving you can sort of see the foglight cutoff, well at least around here there are plenty of trees on the side of the road to see them on.

White lines are the headlight cutoff patterns and the yellow is what the fog cut off should look like.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gd3vbp
Here's what I would do. Its best to wait til its either already dark, or when its dark enough outside that you can see the cutoff on your garage, or where ever you have to work. This is what you should see sitting straight in front of you on a wall. When driving you can sort of see the foglight cutoff, well at least around here there are plenty of trees on the side of the road to see them on.

White lines are the headlight cutoff patterns and the yellow is what the fog cut off should look like.
Does the angle of the driveway affect the accuracy of the beams if I'm trying to position them aim ed towards the garage? My driveway is actually pretty steep. And its weird, When I'm driving I dont see the fog light cut off anywhere above the headlights. But I do see yellow up in trees and road signs to the left and right.

*Edit* Maybe the PIAA fogs spread out pretty wide?

Last edited by AnlDyxp_GD3; 04-08-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:05 PM
In short yes the angle of the driveway will effect the beams. If you can find a shopping center or somewhere thats close by that you can use at least for getting a baseline of where they're aimed. Just pull around back to the loading docks and see where the output is sitting on a wall then adjust from there. There isn't a whole lot of up/down adjustment in our fogs (07-08 at least) Mostly just the angle/tilt of the lights. But you should be able to get some height adjustment if you play with them.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gd3vbp
In short yes the angle of the driveway will effect the beams. If you can find a shopping center or somewhere thats close by that you can use at least for getting a baseline of where they're aimed. Just pull around back to the loading docks and see where the output is sitting on a wall then adjust from there. There isn't a whole lot of up/down adjustment in our fogs (07-08 at least) Mostly just the angle/tilt of the lights. But you should be able to get some height adjustment if you play with them.
Actually I'm using PIAA aftermarket fog lights. But when I turn on the fog lights while parked in the garage, the beam sits pretty much perfectly on the wall. But I still get yellow glare on the ceilings and stuff. Is this just due to wide-spread of the beam? If the direct beam isnt aimed upwards it should not distract other cars right? LOL. Thanks again buys!

Old 04-08-2010, 04:00 PM
The PIAA fog lights that i have seen do spread out really wide. I have PIAA driving lights on my wifes Forester and I realized i should have bought fogs instead! They shine this little ten inch wide pool of light about 75 feet out in front of the car. Its all good though, she says they make it easier to spot deer standing off the shoulder of the road

Old 04-08-2010, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by grtpumpkin
The PIAA fog lights that i have seen do spread out really wide. I have PIAA driving lights on my wifes Forester and I realized i should have bought fogs instead! They shine this little ten inch wide pool of light about 75 feet out in front of the car. Its all good though, she says they make it easier to spot deer standing off the shoulder of the road
Cool. I guess I should be ok than. Because the direct beam is not aimed upwards, but just alot of my surroundings(i.e; trees, signs) to my immediate left and right light up yellow, even areas taller than the car. I even parked my car with the lights on behind my gf's car, than I got out and sat in her car just to check. LOL. seemed ok. Thanks guys!

Old 04-13-2010, 10:15 PM
Fogs are not driving lights, nor are they for spotting deer. They're for seeing better in the fog. If you don't have fog in your area, or want to use them as driving lights, that's fine. But if you need to use your fogs this way, you are probably better off upgrading your headlights.

Foglights ideally should illuminate the area directly in front of the car beneath what the low beams illuminate. Correctly aimed, they illuminate the center dividing line and the right hand side lane marker (line or sometimes reflectors). If your fogs are illuminating signs, trees, or the bumper of the car in front of you, they're too high. Aimed too high, they reflect too much light back at the driver in fog conditions.